View Single Post
The Spanish Wangler's Avatar The Spanish Wangler
07-18-2007, 08:09 AM

TOOL had fun at this show. Probably even more fun than the audience! They didnt take themselves as seriously.

Danny wore a L.A. CLIPPERS Jersey instead of a L.A. Lakers one (like a "doppleganger" version of Danny.) I mean that tells you right there that they were just out to have fun with the 2nd to last show on this leg of the U.S. tour.

At the beginning, Maynard said it was gonna be a circus...complete with clowns and freaks. He was right.

They explored these songs in different ways than they usually do. Typically they are very serious about their artform and strive for perfection, but tonight they took A LOT of chances. Very improvisational.

I heard some screw-ups, but that is what happens when you take CHANCES. Anytime a song would start to de-rail.....Danny would kick back in with 10 times more passion and percision and bring the song to a new level of ass kickery.

I didnt even pay attention to the lasers and screens. Its "neat" and all, but the band was the center of interest because they were changing ALL the songs and really going off the beaten path. I have seen them play the songs really solid before, but tonight there was a certain element of "slop" or looseness to these renditions.

This show was different for a lot of reasons. First of all you have the small venue and the "middle of nowhere" location of Reading, PA (which is a great place with a lot of personality). When TOOL came out, Maynard said "HELLO......*looked down like he was reading off a piece of paper on the ground, then he popped back up*.......READING!" That place was so small, there couldnt have been a bad seat in the house. My GF and I sat in Sec. 103 which was right above the front right corner of the stage with a perfect view of all the musicians (except for Danny, who's head was blocked by cymbals).

Big Business = Badass.

I have their album, and it was great to hear them play those songs live. Cody has great style on the drums and is just mean as hell. I love the bassist as well, he covers a lot of sonic territory with his "big bass balls of fuzz" and lemmy from motorhead-type vocals. I just dont see how people could complain (especially compared to melt bananna and isis.....Big Business was def. better than those other openers). Just need to catch them with Buzzo and the Melvins now. Oh yea....at the end of their set...they requested that the audience "BOOOOOOOO" Them off the stage....that was fucking funny!

I could go on and on, but I'm just going to state some facts:

This was a "cheesy inside-out" show.

Danny wore a CLIPPERS jersey.

Adam was sporting the pigtail braids.

Justin Chugged 5 fucking beers while kneeling during the Lateralus drum explosion. (I was wondering if he was going to be able to stand up after that!)

Maynard said a lot of weird shit, but you couldnt hear it....his mic(s) were too low in the mix.

During Rosetta Stoned......in the begining "rant"......Maynard didnt even sing the words....it didnt matter cause he filled it in with lyrics from another song......It was really fucking funny though....The song sounded familiar....I think it was some "pop R & B" song lyrics.

They TWEASED everybody's brain with the keyboards and sequencers for about 5 minutes. They were flipping the sound inside out and it was really messing with me!

Maynard Toilet papered Cody from big business during the drum section of lateralus.....which was HILARIOUS! Then he started bringing plants on stage and doing some feng shui with TP and potted plants. Adam came over and covered the drumkit with TP that fell off and Cody was shredding through it like a motherfucker....

THEY FUCKING JAMMED OUT ALL THE SONGS IN A NEW WAY.

It was so laid back, and such a small venue, it felt like we were all just sitting on a couch chilling with the band. A great experience compared to the larger shows I'm sure! (Like Festeroo)

FLOOD fucking rules.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/07/16 - Reading, PA - Sovereign Center

TOOL had fun at this show. Probably even more fun than the audience! They didnt take themselves as seriously.

Danny wore a L.A. CLIPPERS Jersey instead of a L.A. Lakers one (like a "doppleganger" version of Danny.) I mean that tells you right there that they were just out to have fun with the 2nd to last show on this leg of the U.S. tour.

At the beginning, Maynard said it was gonna be a circus...complete with clowns and freaks. He was right.

They explored these songs in different ways than they usually do. Typically they are very serious about their artform and strive for perfection, but tonight they took A LOT of chances. Very improvisational.

I heard some screw-ups, but that is what happens when you take CHANCES. Anytime a song would start to de-rail.....Danny would kick back in with 10 times more passion and percision and bring the song to a new level of ass kickery.

I didnt even pay attention to the lasers and screens. Its "neat" and all, but the band was the center of interest because they were changing ALL the songs and really going off the beaten path. I have seen them play the songs really solid before, but tonight there was a certain element of "slop" or looseness to these renditions.

This show was different for a lot of reasons. First of all you have the small venue and the "middle of nowhere" location of Reading, PA (which is a great place with a lot of personality). When TOOL came out, Maynard said "HELLO......*looked down like he was reading off a piece of paper on the ground, then he popped back up*.......READING!" That place was so small, there couldnt have been a bad seat in the house. My GF and I sat in Sec. 103 which was right above the front right corner of the stage with a perfect view of all the musicians (except for Danny, who's head was blocked by cymbals).

Big Business = Badass.

I have their album, and it was great to hear them play those songs live. Cody has great style on the drums and is just mean as hell. I love the bassist as well, he covers a lot of sonic territory with his "big bass balls of fuzz" and lemmy from motorhead-type vocals. I just dont see how people could complain (especially compared to melt bananna and isis.....Big Business was def. better than those other openers). Just need to catch them with Buzzo and the Melvins now. Oh yea....at the end of their set...they requested that the audience "BOOOOOOOO" Them off the stage....that was fucking funny!

I could go on and on, but I'm just going to state some facts:

This was a "cheesy inside-out" show.

Danny wore a CLIPPERS jersey.

Adam was sporting the pigtail braids.

Justin Chugged 5 fucking beers while kneeling during the Lateralus drum explosion. (I was wondering if he was going to be able to stand up after that!)

Maynard said a lot of weird shit, but you couldnt hear it....his mic(s) were too low in the mix.

During Rosetta Stoned......in the begining "rant"......Maynard didnt even sing the words....it didnt matter cause he filled it in with lyrics from another song......It was really fucking funny though....The song sounded familiar....I think it was some "pop R & B" song lyrics.

They TWEASED everybody's brain with the keyboards and sequencers for about 5 minutes. They were flipping the sound inside out and it was really messing with me!

Maynard Toilet papered Cody from big business during the drum section of lateralus.....which was HILARIOUS! Then he started bringing plants on stage and doing some feng shui with TP and potted plants. Adam came over and covered the drumkit with TP that fell off and Cody was shredding through it like a motherfucker....

THEY FUCKING JAMMED OUT ALL THE SONGS IN A NEW WAY.

It was so laid back, and such a small venue, it felt like we were all just sitting on a couch chilling with the band. A great experience compared to the larger shows I'm sure! (Like Festeroo)

FLOOD fucking rules.