View Single Post
binomial's Avatar binomial
07-18-2007, 05:29 AM

So I passed on the Thursday night Boston show for a Friday night in Portland. I think I made a good choice because a) sitting in the parking lot for 3 hours after the show in Boston isn't appealing to me (it's like they took a queue from Disney World and just weave you around forever until you get to the ride, or, in this case, 495 North) and b) the Civic Center is a great little/big venue.

My friends and I show up to the show around 7 after meeting up and deciding with authority that we were not going to go on the floor because we've come to the age and realization that we don't need to be repeatedly hit to enjoy a concert. We walk in, get frisked and I'm asked if I want a floor pass. "Yes. Yes I do." Folded like a bad poker hand.

We walk out onto the floor and I'm giddy again. 10 yards from the stage!!! This is where it'll all happen. I look at my friends who all agree: go to the seats. Damn. So we sit down, listen to the tunes pumping through the sound system. Messhugah, Ween, NIN, Tricky. Good times. Then we're approached by a kid to buy our wrist bands. Hell no! That was the impetus they needed. These things have value. We're going to the floor.

We plant ourselves in the center, a few feet in front of the sound board, 30 yards from the stage. Nice.

Big Business comes out and does their thing. I can never give a good opinion on opening bands. Their sound is usually pretty muddy and they're playing fast and loud to keep our attention. Big Business was no different. So they came and they went. And I was no worse for the wear (outside of the drums possibly giving me an irregular heartbeat).

The stage is set up, Danny's kit is revealed and by the end of 30 minutes, the lights drop. In the immortal words of my college roommate, "Aww titties."

TOOL rocked. I mean rocked hard. I've been a fan for a long time. I love their music and I love the way they translate it through the visuals. It's like performance art that I can tolerate (unlike, say, interpretive dance where people flair and fall down and it's supposed to convey meaning). Every tune was blistering. The sound from where I was mixed perfectly. Everyone was at the right level. The perks of being at the sound board.

From looking at the previous posts, I can see that the set list doesn't change too much. That's alright, though. I imagine it takes a lot to orchestrate this visual assault. They can't be changing things up at the drop of a hat and be able to incorporate videos and lights like they want to. Would I have liked to have heard more from Opiate or Undertow? Sure as shit I would. But I love Right in Two as much as I love Sweat. To hear the new tunes live is great.

All members were on point. Maynard only bowed out at the end of Schism after pleading with someone for something from his pedestal. Justin was a monster on the bass and clearly the one best connecting with the fans during the show (lighters during the intermission, anyone?). Adam is the man. It didn't bother me that he didn't look out at us but instead stared at his feet and hands. I'd rather he hit the notes than give us a Nigel Tufnel solo face. And Danny. Not enough can be said for Mr. Carey. Amazing. They could have ended the show with Lateralus. Like everyone else, I stood slackjawed by the end of the dueling drums solo. Amazing.

I think Jambi is a great opener. It's like going on a date with someone who kicks you in the balls right at the get-go. You know the rest of the night is going to be interesting. And interesting it was.

Definitely a highlight for me, concert-wise. I walked in expecting a good show and a nice night watching my favorite band. I walked out looking for my ass because it had been kicked so many times in that 2 hour span that it just got away from me. It was so good that I almost considered parting with the $38 for a t-shirt. Perhaps I'll just spend that money on the orange Puscifer hoodie Maynard was repping that night.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:29 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/07/13 - Portland, ME - Cumberland Civic Center

So I passed on the Thursday night Boston show for a Friday night in Portland. I think I made a good choice because a) sitting in the parking lot for 3 hours after the show in Boston isn't appealing to me (it's like they took a queue from Disney World and just weave you around forever until you get to the ride, or, in this case, 495 North) and b) the Civic Center is a great little/big venue.

My friends and I show up to the show around 7 after meeting up and deciding with authority that we were not going to go on the floor because we've come to the age and realization that we don't need to be repeatedly hit to enjoy a concert. We walk in, get frisked and I'm asked if I want a floor pass. "Yes. Yes I do." Folded like a bad poker hand.

We walk out onto the floor and I'm giddy again. 10 yards from the stage!!! This is where it'll all happen. I look at my friends who all agree: go to the seats. Damn. So we sit down, listen to the tunes pumping through the sound system. Messhugah, Ween, NIN, Tricky. Good times. Then we're approached by a kid to buy our wrist bands. Hell no! That was the impetus they needed. These things have value. We're going to the floor.

We plant ourselves in the center, a few feet in front of the sound board, 30 yards from the stage. Nice.

Big Business comes out and does their thing. I can never give a good opinion on opening bands. Their sound is usually pretty muddy and they're playing fast and loud to keep our attention. Big Business was no different. So they came and they went. And I was no worse for the wear (outside of the drums possibly giving me an irregular heartbeat).

The stage is set up, Danny's kit is revealed and by the end of 30 minutes, the lights drop. In the immortal words of my college roommate, "Aww titties."

TOOL rocked. I mean rocked hard. I've been a fan for a long time. I love their music and I love the way they translate it through the visuals. It's like performance art that I can tolerate (unlike, say, interpretive dance where people flair and fall down and it's supposed to convey meaning). Every tune was blistering. The sound from where I was mixed perfectly. Everyone was at the right level. The perks of being at the sound board.

From looking at the previous posts, I can see that the set list doesn't change too much. That's alright, though. I imagine it takes a lot to orchestrate this visual assault. They can't be changing things up at the drop of a hat and be able to incorporate videos and lights like they want to. Would I have liked to have heard more from Opiate or Undertow? Sure as shit I would. But I love Right in Two as much as I love Sweat. To hear the new tunes live is great.

All members were on point. Maynard only bowed out at the end of Schism after pleading with someone for something from his pedestal. Justin was a monster on the bass and clearly the one best connecting with the fans during the show (lighters during the intermission, anyone?). Adam is the man. It didn't bother me that he didn't look out at us but instead stared at his feet and hands. I'd rather he hit the notes than give us a Nigel Tufnel solo face. And Danny. Not enough can be said for Mr. Carey. Amazing. They could have ended the show with Lateralus. Like everyone else, I stood slackjawed by the end of the dueling drums solo. Amazing.

I think Jambi is a great opener. It's like going on a date with someone who kicks you in the balls right at the get-go. You know the rest of the night is going to be interesting. And interesting it was.

Definitely a highlight for me, concert-wise. I walked in expecting a good show and a nice night watching my favorite band. I walked out looking for my ass because it had been kicked so many times in that 2 hour span that it just got away from me. It was so good that I almost considered parting with the $38 for a t-shirt. Perhaps I'll just spend that money on the orange Puscifer hoodie Maynard was repping that night.
OFFLINE |