View Single Post
flipmojo's Avatar flipmojo
06-01-2007, 09:34 AM

Just got back from Orlando...

The show was pretty good. I give it 7 out of 10. I would have ranked it higher had they done a few different things.

First, Schism is just not working anymore. The band casually runs through it, even the sped up part seems boring to them now. There was some good momentum after Jambi, Stinkfist, and 46&2 that was killed by Schism.

Second, the ending of the set doesn't send you off feeling "high". I can only imagine what those lucky bastards felt like after leaving the show after Aenima. Aenima should close right after Vicarious. I know that would have done the trick last night. Maybe it will come back tonight in Sunrise.

And last, Maynard didn't say a damn thing all night. In fact, I didn't even realize they were starting. It just hit with Jambi. Then, the whole show went on without a peep. They ought to hand a mic to Justin or Adam. And when the show finished... nothing. The only words that were heard that were song lyrics were "Please, no flash photography during this song." WTF? Very weak in my opinion. I don't care if they haven't been talking a lot during this tour. It sucks to be there and never hear from the band except to not use cameras.

Now that that crap is out of the way...

I enjoyed the show. We stayed across the street at the Mariott. It was within walking distance. We sat up on the 12th floor listening to Tool, drinking beer and watching people arrive. The lines were never long, and security wasn't tight.

We went over at 8pm and Melt Banana was already on stage. The guy who said this cracked me up because it was SO TRUE!

Quote:
Every word of every lyric of every song was "corn chip". "Corn chip cooorn chiiiiiip corn-chip-corn-chip-cochi-cochi-corn chip!"
My brother and I were cracking up. I was loving it. They are from Japan, so I was imagining rock and roll video games. That is what they sound like - a metal video game. And I may have been in that section that was booing. It was the lower level corner. They were booing, but when I sat down I started yelling and cheering the Bananas on! Then, that area started to chill out and listen more.

Quick setlist notes:

Jambi - KILLS!! Fire on screens, and Maynard with cowboys hat raised straight over his head and moving back and forth. Very awesome moment.

Stinkfist - Classic that still rocks. Music video played on screens.

46&2 - Another classic, but came across better than Stinkfist because of the drum work by Danny. Maynard sang hard on this one too. The show was flying high at this point.

Schism - Total waste of a song. It needs to be replaced tonight! Killed the momentum.

Rosetta Stoned - Went over pretty well. I would say it was another highlight.

Pushit - Great song to make the setlist. They did well on it, although I don't remember an "extended intro".

Wings 1 & 2 - My first tim ehearing this live. I cried like a baby. It was a very sad and depressing song. MUCH sadder live than on the album. The crowd was way low after this loooong song.

Lateralus - They played it well. I didn't think the jam was very special though. It certainly wasn't a Triad type of jam or anything. I think this song would have worked better after Vicarious.

Vicarious - Rocked, but Maynard was already done. Didn't sing all the lyrics. As soon as it ended, Maynard went around collecting bodies for a group hug, through a hand up, and... gone. Zzzz....

It was a good show, but it could have been better. I have seen them perform with MUCH more energy. The set needs to be teaked a little. I hope they change it up tonight. I have to shower and regroup. Then I'm off on a 2 1/2 hour drive to Sunrise. See you there!!!
04/14/1994 Orlando, FL; 03/11/1997 San Antonio, TX; 08/07/1998 Austin, TX; 10/11/2001 Orlando, FL; 08/04/2002 Estero, FL; 08/05/2002 Daytona Beach, FL; 05/31/2007 Orlando; 06/01/07 Sunrise, FL; 06/02/07 Jacksonville, FL
Old 06-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #23
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Re: 2007/05/31 - Orlando, FL - Amway Arena

Just got back from Orlando...

The show was pretty good. I give it 7 out of 10. I would have ranked it higher had they done a few different things.

First, Schism is just not working anymore. The band casually runs through it, even the sped up part seems boring to them now. There was some good momentum after Jambi, Stinkfist, and 46&2 that was killed by Schism.

Second, the ending of the set doesn't send you off feeling "high". I can only imagine what those lucky bastards felt like after leaving the show after Aenima. Aenima should close right after Vicarious. I know that would have done the trick last night. Maybe it will come back tonight in Sunrise.

And last, Maynard didn't say a damn thing all night. In fact, I didn't even realize they were starting. It just hit with Jambi. Then, the whole show went on without a peep. They ought to hand a mic to Justin or Adam. And when the show finished... nothing. The only words that were heard that were song lyrics were "Please, no flash photography during this song." WTF? Very weak in my opinion. I don't care if they haven't been talking a lot during this tour. It sucks to be there and never hear from the band except to not use cameras.

Now that that crap is out of the way...

I enjoyed the show. We stayed across the street at the Mariott. It was within walking distance. We sat up on the 12th floor listening to Tool, drinking beer and watching people arrive. The lines were never long, and security wasn't tight.

We went over at 8pm and Melt Banana was already on stage. The guy who said this cracked me up because it was SO TRUE!

Quote:
Every word of every lyric of every song was "corn chip". "Corn chip cooorn chiiiiiip corn-chip-corn-chip-cochi-cochi-corn chip!"
My brother and I were cracking up. I was loving it. They are from Japan, so I was imagining rock and roll video games. That is what they sound like - a metal video game. And I may have been in that section that was booing. It was the lower level corner. They were booing, but when I sat down I started yelling and cheering the Bananas on! Then, that area started to chill out and listen more.

Quick setlist notes:

Jambi - KILLS!! Fire on screens, and Maynard with cowboys hat raised straight over his head and moving back and forth. Very awesome moment.

Stinkfist - Classic that still rocks. Music video played on screens.

46&2 - Another classic, but came across better than Stinkfist because of the drum work by Danny. Maynard sang hard on this one too. The show was flying high at this point.

Schism - Total waste of a song. It needs to be replaced tonight! Killed the momentum.

Rosetta Stoned - Went over pretty well. I would say it was another highlight.

Pushit - Great song to make the setlist. They did well on it, although I don't remember an "extended intro".

Wings 1 & 2 - My first tim ehearing this live. I cried like a baby. It was a very sad and depressing song. MUCH sadder live than on the album. The crowd was way low after this loooong song.

Lateralus - They played it well. I didn't think the jam was very special though. It certainly wasn't a Triad type of jam or anything. I think this song would have worked better after Vicarious.

Vicarious - Rocked, but Maynard was already done. Didn't sing all the lyrics. As soon as it ended, Maynard went around collecting bodies for a group hug, through a hand up, and... gone. Zzzz....

It was a good show, but it could have been better. I have seen them perform with MUCH more energy. The set needs to be teaked a little. I hope they change it up tonight. I have to shower and regroup. Then I'm off on a 2 1/2 hour drive to Sunrise. See you there!!!
04/14/1994 Orlando, FL; 03/11/1997 San Antonio, TX; 08/07/1998 Austin, TX; 10/11/2001 Orlando, FL; 08/04/2002 Estero, FL; 08/05/2002 Daytona Beach, FL; 05/31/2007 Orlando; 06/01/07 Sunrise, FL; 06/02/07 Jacksonville, FL
OFFLINE |