View Single Post
nusense
05-28-2007, 08:27 AM

it was amazing! setlist listed is correct.

that said, i'd like to point out: to those who (like me) saw them on the last 2006 go around and are thinking the "same old setlist" looks boring. well, i didn't think it sounded bad, it was fucking AMAZING last time. anyway, this whole thing has been MAJORLY revamped. here's what i considered the high points/noticeable differences from last time:

- VISUALS!!!! there are TONS of new visuals. and i mean on all fronts too. new content. new ways of integrating all the screens (they're not all always showing the same thing.) also, just the whole timing and everything seems to be getting WAAAAAAAAY more improved. i noticed TONS of new animated alex grey work (collective vision, dying, etc. etc.) and during right in two seemed there was a good bit of new live action footage too. or maybe it was just being altered differently than i've seen before. either way, very cool. that huge rotating "collective vision" visual during the lighter break was PHENOMENAL. and they were using animated pieces of alex greys "dying" during wings. nice.

- sound. the band is WAAAAAY tighter than they were on the last leg of the 10,000 days tour. lost keys in particular seemed to be infinitly cooler than last tour. rosetta stoned (which i believe to be one of the high points of this album/tour) has tightened up the most (and probably needed it the most). it was still one of the more enjoyable parts for me last time, and this time it REALLY blew me away. wings was also way way tighter.

- EXTENDED LATERALUS. yes, this deserves it's OWN mention. i'm kind of glad people had been downplaying the setlists/performances (or maybe they were really THAT on this night. doubt it though. probably has more to do with the ratio of whiners who use the internet). this is way more than just a mere drum solo extension. jesus fucking christ. when i saw them they had members of kinski come out during it. phenomenal. a fucking beautiful symphony of cosmic noise that rose to crescendo's and fell back and forth for.......well i lost count of how many minutes. actually, fuck that. i'm lying. i wasn't even counting. i was just in heaven for a few minutes. they could've played JUST this and i would've had a smile for weeks.

also, that and just the general bad ass jamming (which has gotten better also) they kept doing leads me to believe they are planning to do SOME kind of special (if only maybe an extra 30 min) at bonnaroo. i can't fucking wait for that. :)

overall, i'd have to say, of the three shows i've seen thus far, this was my top. easily actually. maynards EXCELLENT mood in pensacola really put this one over the top for me. bringing out the popcorn and all, and just generally seeming very enthused with every song. sang VERY well too. the others shows i saw, he was sick.

don't listen to the naysayers. or, if you are one, or you tend to agree with those who bitch about this band and their live shows: you are a whiner. plain and simple. i've been watching live bands for fucking YEARS and there's almost no one around who does it like this. (been a tool fan for many many years too, just had the misfortune of missing them live until last year. it happens)
Old 05-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/05/25 - Pensacola, FL - Pensacola Civic Center

it was amazing! setlist listed is correct.

that said, i'd like to point out: to those who (like me) saw them on the last 2006 go around and are thinking the "same old setlist" looks boring. well, i didn't think it sounded bad, it was fucking AMAZING last time. anyway, this whole thing has been MAJORLY revamped. here's what i considered the high points/noticeable differences from last time:

- VISUALS!!!! there are TONS of new visuals. and i mean on all fronts too. new content. new ways of integrating all the screens (they're not all always showing the same thing.) also, just the whole timing and everything seems to be getting WAAAAAAAAY more improved. i noticed TONS of new animated alex grey work (collective vision, dying, etc. etc.) and during right in two seemed there was a good bit of new live action footage too. or maybe it was just being altered differently than i've seen before. either way, very cool. that huge rotating "collective vision" visual during the lighter break was PHENOMENAL. and they were using animated pieces of alex greys "dying" during wings. nice.

- sound. the band is WAAAAAY tighter than they were on the last leg of the 10,000 days tour. lost keys in particular seemed to be infinitly cooler than last tour. rosetta stoned (which i believe to be one of the high points of this album/tour) has tightened up the most (and probably needed it the most). it was still one of the more enjoyable parts for me last time, and this time it REALLY blew me away. wings was also way way tighter.

- EXTENDED LATERALUS. yes, this deserves it's OWN mention. i'm kind of glad people had been downplaying the setlists/performances (or maybe they were really THAT on this night. doubt it though. probably has more to do with the ratio of whiners who use the internet). this is way more than just a mere drum solo extension. jesus fucking christ. when i saw them they had members of kinski come out during it. phenomenal. a fucking beautiful symphony of cosmic noise that rose to crescendo's and fell back and forth for.......well i lost count of how many minutes. actually, fuck that. i'm lying. i wasn't even counting. i was just in heaven for a few minutes. they could've played JUST this and i would've had a smile for weeks.

also, that and just the general bad ass jamming (which has gotten better also) they kept doing leads me to believe they are planning to do SOME kind of special (if only maybe an extra 30 min) at bonnaroo. i can't fucking wait for that. :)

overall, i'd have to say, of the three shows i've seen thus far, this was my top. easily actually. maynards EXCELLENT mood in pensacola really put this one over the top for me. bringing out the popcorn and all, and just generally seeming very enthused with every song. sang VERY well too. the others shows i saw, he was sick.

don't listen to the naysayers. or, if you are one, or you tend to agree with those who bitch about this band and their live shows: you are a whiner. plain and simple. i've been watching live bands for fucking YEARS and there's almost no one around who does it like this. (been a tool fan for many many years too, just had the misfortune of missing them live until last year. it happens)
OFFLINE |