View Single Post
PaistePlayer
05-26-2007, 01:34 PM

MY 5TH TOOL SHOW

Let me start by saying TOOL has been my favorite band for over 10 years. No matter what I say, remember that Id rather see TOOL on their worst day, than any other band having a perfect show.

As far as the sound went, it truly came down to section. I was in 101 and I LOVED the sound. I went to 118 where a friend was sitting - right next to the stage and that was a visual treat. I left within 10mins because the sound was horrible. It seems the closer you were to the stage the worse it was, same goes for the nose bleeds though because I had friends there to and they got echo/delay........... Low/middle of the venue balcony seating is where its at. I could actually talk to the person next to me while TOOL was going full tilt.

The performance was FUCKING SICK! Ive played the drums for 15 years, with Danny of course being my idol. I really didnt think he could get any better, but he found a way. He got waaaaay faster, while keeping his chops still clean. His arms turned into a blur all while doing the most inovative fills (and veering from the recording fills a little - I do it too, you cant always pull off the tripple lutz at will). If you havent seen him play you dont know how hard he hits. My buddy joking that the china cymbal above his floor toms should press charges against him for "assault and battery".

Maynard was great for the parts you could hear him on. We got the scream in the middle of stinkfist and that fired me up big time. We all know his story, he's not being as sociable as in the past (not that he ever said THAT much anyways) and not as many freaky dance moves either. I think its a combonation of things. His voice not letting him do what he WANTS to do in his mid 40's and the subject matter of this tour.

The crowd was WAY more respectful than I thought they would be. Actually chilling the fuck out during extended and soft/slow sections rather than being assholes becuase theres no monster truck style action to gawk at.

The extended schizm and lateralus with drum solo was the sickest shit Ive ever seen someone pull off live. Id heard other reviews on it, but didnt have a clue what anyone was trying to say, and now I know why because its just too much for words. So glad we got Right In Two, as Ive seen pushit at every single show Id been to so far.

Overall such an AMAZING show - and the playing itself may have been the tightest Ive ever seen them. But it fell a little short when you've seen them 5 times, compared to other shows. Heres my list.....

#1. Pensacola FL last time around on Lateralus (also the first time ever they played in P'Cola)
#2. Orlando FL 01, right after Lateralus came out.
#3. Pensacola FL - LAST NIGHT
#4. New Orleans LA (my first TOOL show ever)
#5. Biloxi MS - If I hadn't met Danny and Justin before the show, this one woulda pissed me off. You could tell Maynard hated being there with his back to us the whole time. Can't blame him with a Mississippi crowd.

Last edited by PaistePlayer; 05-26-2007 at 02:33 PM..
Old 05-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/05/25 - Pensacola, FL - Pensacola Civic Center

MY 5TH TOOL SHOW

Let me start by saying TOOL has been my favorite band for over 10 years. No matter what I say, remember that Id rather see TOOL on their worst day, than any other band having a perfect show.

As far as the sound went, it truly came down to section. I was in 101 and I LOVED the sound. I went to 118 where a friend was sitting - right next to the stage and that was a visual treat. I left within 10mins because the sound was horrible. It seems the closer you were to the stage the worse it was, same goes for the nose bleeds though because I had friends there to and they got echo/delay........... Low/middle of the venue balcony seating is where its at. I could actually talk to the person next to me while TOOL was going full tilt.

The performance was FUCKING SICK! Ive played the drums for 15 years, with Danny of course being my idol. I really didnt think he could get any better, but he found a way. He got waaaaay faster, while keeping his chops still clean. His arms turned into a blur all while doing the most inovative fills (and veering from the recording fills a little - I do it too, you cant always pull off the tripple lutz at will). If you havent seen him play you dont know how hard he hits. My buddy joking that the china cymbal above his floor toms should press charges against him for "assault and battery".

Maynard was great for the parts you could hear him on. We got the scream in the middle of stinkfist and that fired me up big time. We all know his story, he's not being as sociable as in the past (not that he ever said THAT much anyways) and not as many freaky dance moves either. I think its a combonation of things. His voice not letting him do what he WANTS to do in his mid 40's and the subject matter of this tour.

The crowd was WAY more respectful than I thought they would be. Actually chilling the fuck out during extended and soft/slow sections rather than being assholes becuase theres no monster truck style action to gawk at.

The extended schizm and lateralus with drum solo was the sickest shit Ive ever seen someone pull off live. Id heard other reviews on it, but didnt have a clue what anyone was trying to say, and now I know why because its just too much for words. So glad we got Right In Two, as Ive seen pushit at every single show Id been to so far.

Overall such an AMAZING show - and the playing itself may have been the tightest Ive ever seen them. But it fell a little short when you've seen them 5 times, compared to other shows. Heres my list.....

#1. Pensacola FL last time around on Lateralus (also the first time ever they played in P'Cola)
#2. Orlando FL 01, right after Lateralus came out.
#3. Pensacola FL - LAST NIGHT
#4. New Orleans LA (my first TOOL show ever)
#5. Biloxi MS - If I hadn't met Danny and Justin before the show, this one woulda pissed me off. You could tell Maynard hated being there with his back to us the whole time. Can't blame him with a Mississippi crowd.

Last edited by PaistePlayer; 05-26-2007 at 02:33 PM..
OFFLINE |