View Single Post
guitarpete987
05-23-2007, 06:31 AM

Well, this is my fifth Tool show, and I've gotta say, as far as sound, band energy and performance, and definitely crowd energy (at least where I was sitting in Section 107, row 4) this was the best of them all. I loved the size of the arena -- intimate enough to get a good view of the band from anywhere and the whole show sounded AWESOME.

Despite the fact that I had seen every song performed here before -- except for Right In Two, which was unfuckingbelieveable live -- the band just seemed TOTALLY on point and totally in the groove.

I was surprised how well Jambi works as an opener, especially since it has been slowed down about 5 beats per minute. It really helps the song groove more and feels more heavy.

Wow there's so much to say! Judging by the huge drop in audience energy, I think a lot of fans still don't listen to Rosetta Stoned enough to really "get" it, but for me, the best part of the show was the entire sequence of Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned/Right In Two/Wings/10K Days. The combination of visuals (which were all much improved over their Dallas AAC performance -- GOTTA LOVE UFOs!) and flawless musical execution just nearly had me in tears!

I have to admit Wings/10,000 Days on the album I can only listen to once in a while, just because I have a very busy lifestyle that doesn't allow me to become fully immersed in the music I love all the time. But seeing this song live again has me fully convinced it is their opus. Performed this way, it's probably the greatest song of the last 20 years, and they made me believe it.

I go to a lot of concerts, and I've gotta say after all these years Tool is still THE live band of our generation. I think one reason the setlist is so static is because the visuals are so scripted. I wish people would just STOP with their preconceived expectations and song wish lists and just accept the art that is presented to them in its entirety, because the combination of visuals/music you get here as a whole is unmatched. If you just let go and allow yourself to become immersed in the art they are creating for you and just forget about "oh I hope they play this song or that song" it helps you appreciate it so much more.

I actually heard the crowd sing the last line of vicarious when he held up the mic! It felt pretty good! Oh and it was also sweet when Adam and Justin pulled out their lighters with the crowd. The King Crimson guest stars also did a great job before the show and during Lateralus.

Thanks guys, and come to Corpus again! Worth every penny and the drive from the RGV!

Last edited by guitarpete987; 05-23-2007 at 06:35 AM..
Old 05-23-2007, 06:31 AM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Re: 2007/05/22 - Corpus Christi, TX - American Bank Center

Well, this is my fifth Tool show, and I've gotta say, as far as sound, band energy and performance, and definitely crowd energy (at least where I was sitting in Section 107, row 4) this was the best of them all. I loved the size of the arena -- intimate enough to get a good view of the band from anywhere and the whole show sounded AWESOME.

Despite the fact that I had seen every song performed here before -- except for Right In Two, which was unfuckingbelieveable live -- the band just seemed TOTALLY on point and totally in the groove.

I was surprised how well Jambi works as an opener, especially since it has been slowed down about 5 beats per minute. It really helps the song groove more and feels more heavy.

Wow there's so much to say! Judging by the huge drop in audience energy, I think a lot of fans still don't listen to Rosetta Stoned enough to really "get" it, but for me, the best part of the show was the entire sequence of Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned/Right In Two/Wings/10K Days. The combination of visuals (which were all much improved over their Dallas AAC performance -- GOTTA LOVE UFOs!) and flawless musical execution just nearly had me in tears!

I have to admit Wings/10,000 Days on the album I can only listen to once in a while, just because I have a very busy lifestyle that doesn't allow me to become fully immersed in the music I love all the time. But seeing this song live again has me fully convinced it is their opus. Performed this way, it's probably the greatest song of the last 20 years, and they made me believe it.

I go to a lot of concerts, and I've gotta say after all these years Tool is still THE live band of our generation. I think one reason the setlist is so static is because the visuals are so scripted. I wish people would just STOP with their preconceived expectations and song wish lists and just accept the art that is presented to them in its entirety, because the combination of visuals/music you get here as a whole is unmatched. If you just let go and allow yourself to become immersed in the art they are creating for you and just forget about "oh I hope they play this song or that song" it helps you appreciate it so much more.

I actually heard the crowd sing the last line of vicarious when he held up the mic! It felt pretty good! Oh and it was also sweet when Adam and Justin pulled out their lighters with the crowd. The King Crimson guest stars also did a great job before the show and during Lateralus.

Thanks guys, and come to Corpus again! Worth every penny and the drive from the RGV!

Last edited by guitarpete987; 05-23-2007 at 06:35 AM..
OFFLINE |