View Single Post
skillet
05-20-2007, 07:56 AM

While I can somewhat agree with previous comments about the show not being 'great', I must say that if you thought this one was bad then be glad you did not spend your money on some of the other recent shows. The band is tired, it is starting to show -- I think the day off they had before this show helped them somewhat. This was my 4th time to see Tool for this tour (SMU, Dallas, Ft. Worth and now OKC) and it ranks behind SMU to me in quality.

The energy of the band was there tonight, it was definately not there for the Ft. Worth show. I honestly felt sad for some of the people who wrote reviews on that show talking about how awesome it was, particularly those who said it was their first or second time to see Tool -- I truly wish some of the real fans who did not get to see the Aenima or *especially* the Lateralus tour had been fortunate enough to do so, some nights you would think you could die and go to heaven right then, this tour does not come close, at all.

In Ft. Worth, Maynard hardly spoke, his vocals were off and he wasn't very animated at all, it was very obvious he was going through the motions. In Dallas (not SMU), it was back when he was sick and he gave it a helluva an effort I will admit, but it was lackluster due to his health (and the absolutely horrible acoustics at the American Airlines Center in Dallas; don't waste your time with a concert there unless you have floor seats, dead center and very close to stage or it is like 'jamming' to a small stereo sitting on the otherside of your living room -- but I'm not bitter, damnit! heh).

For OKC, Maynard was joking with the crowd (yes, that was a JOKE about Kansas people, get the stick out of your collective @ss -- and as someone else pointed out, Danny is from Kansas [he was in his normal full Kansas basketball garb in Ft. Worth, he didn't seem to have that on last night, first time in a long time I've seen him not at least wearing the jersey]). Maynard also seemed to be into the music more this time around -- I'm sure it gets old playing the same stuff all the time (*cough*change the setlist*cough*) but still... this is their job, we paid good money, at least do more than make it obvious you're going through the motions.

Maynardisms (this used to be everyone's favorite thing to post in reviews back in the day and sadly seems missing from this tour, more testament to the fact this tour has gotten long in the tooth and the guys need to take an extended break or end it completely):

- Entry: "[Good evening / Hello], drunk assholes."

- The Cowboy Dance never gets old (it makes me laugh everytime), he did it during Jambi and got into it with everyone, the crowd went nuts. I posted on the Ft. Worth review about how I didn't like Jambi as an opener (despite it being my favorite song off of 10k Days); however, last night the guys made me eat my words, they really nailed it and I was immediately into the show.

- After a song or two: "Seriosly though... seriously, how the hell are ya?" *crowd roars* "Sounds more like Kansas to me...." *crowd boo's*

- After Danny's drum solo, Maynard walked to the left front side of Danny's kit, rubbed his hands together a few times and held them out as if he was getting warm off of Danny's fire; it was kind've funny.

- Similar to the last, during Lateralus (where Danny absolutely tore it up near the end), Maynard was 'throwing energy' at him during the solo. Of late this would be when you'd see Maynard standing in the background sipping on water and looking disinterested, so it was fun to see him get into it with everyone else.

Shortened setlist was... surprising. But honestly, after the @sskicking that Lateralus was, I remember thinking, "This would be a perfect place to end this show, on a high note." But then when they did end it, I was wanting to take back that thought, hehe. I personally do not like Vicarious or Aenima; Aenima is especially played out as this was my 9th or 10th Tool show (dating back to Undertow days) and the last *3 tours* they've closed with that d@mn song... come on. So to NOT hear it was actually a plus for me. I just wish they had replaced it with something else (Pushit, Jimmy, anything from The Holy Trinity [or the whole thing], Parabola, etc).

And as far as the comments on the women; if you're going to a show for eye candy, you need to come to Texas where we have the most beautiful women in the world. ;)
Old 05-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/05/19 - Oklahoma City, OK - Ford Center

While I can somewhat agree with previous comments about the show not being 'great', I must say that if you thought this one was bad then be glad you did not spend your money on some of the other recent shows. The band is tired, it is starting to show -- I think the day off they had before this show helped them somewhat. This was my 4th time to see Tool for this tour (SMU, Dallas, Ft. Worth and now OKC) and it ranks behind SMU to me in quality.

The energy of the band was there tonight, it was definately not there for the Ft. Worth show. I honestly felt sad for some of the people who wrote reviews on that show talking about how awesome it was, particularly those who said it was their first or second time to see Tool -- I truly wish some of the real fans who did not get to see the Aenima or *especially* the Lateralus tour had been fortunate enough to do so, some nights you would think you could die and go to heaven right then, this tour does not come close, at all.

In Ft. Worth, Maynard hardly spoke, his vocals were off and he wasn't very animated at all, it was very obvious he was going through the motions. In Dallas (not SMU), it was back when he was sick and he gave it a helluva an effort I will admit, but it was lackluster due to his health (and the absolutely horrible acoustics at the American Airlines Center in Dallas; don't waste your time with a concert there unless you have floor seats, dead center and very close to stage or it is like 'jamming' to a small stereo sitting on the otherside of your living room -- but I'm not bitter, damnit! heh).

For OKC, Maynard was joking with the crowd (yes, that was a JOKE about Kansas people, get the stick out of your collective @ss -- and as someone else pointed out, Danny is from Kansas [he was in his normal full Kansas basketball garb in Ft. Worth, he didn't seem to have that on last night, first time in a long time I've seen him not at least wearing the jersey]). Maynard also seemed to be into the music more this time around -- I'm sure it gets old playing the same stuff all the time (*cough*change the setlist*cough*) but still... this is their job, we paid good money, at least do more than make it obvious you're going through the motions.

Maynardisms (this used to be everyone's favorite thing to post in reviews back in the day and sadly seems missing from this tour, more testament to the fact this tour has gotten long in the tooth and the guys need to take an extended break or end it completely):

- Entry: "[Good evening / Hello], drunk assholes."

- The Cowboy Dance never gets old (it makes me laugh everytime), he did it during Jambi and got into it with everyone, the crowd went nuts. I posted on the Ft. Worth review about how I didn't like Jambi as an opener (despite it being my favorite song off of 10k Days); however, last night the guys made me eat my words, they really nailed it and I was immediately into the show.

- After a song or two: "Seriosly though... seriously, how the hell are ya?" *crowd roars* "Sounds more like Kansas to me...." *crowd boo's*

- After Danny's drum solo, Maynard walked to the left front side of Danny's kit, rubbed his hands together a few times and held them out as if he was getting warm off of Danny's fire; it was kind've funny.

- Similar to the last, during Lateralus (where Danny absolutely tore it up near the end), Maynard was 'throwing energy' at him during the solo. Of late this would be when you'd see Maynard standing in the background sipping on water and looking disinterested, so it was fun to see him get into it with everyone else.

Shortened setlist was... surprising. But honestly, after the @sskicking that Lateralus was, I remember thinking, "This would be a perfect place to end this show, on a high note." But then when they did end it, I was wanting to take back that thought, hehe. I personally do not like Vicarious or Aenima; Aenima is especially played out as this was my 9th or 10th Tool show (dating back to Undertow days) and the last *3 tours* they've closed with that d@mn song... come on. So to NOT hear it was actually a plus for me. I just wish they had replaced it with something else (Pushit, Jimmy, anything from The Holy Trinity [or the whole thing], Parabola, etc).

And as far as the comments on the women; if you're going to a show for eye candy, you need to come to Texas where we have the most beautiful women in the world. ;)
OFFLINE |