View Single Post
ladycommish's Avatar ladycommish
05-11-2007, 07:21 PM

This was my 3rd show in 1 year, almost to the date. It was superior to the Buell and Fiddler's.

Kinski was ok. I liked a song and maybe part of another one. All I could think was wow, they're kids! And something with their sound made my right eardrum feel like it was going to rattle out of my head.

We were sitting in sect. 112, two rows up from the floor on the aisle, pretty much in the center. Perfect view of everything and excellent sound. The stage set up for Tool was the usual, white floor, 4 smaller screens beind them, each representing a band member. There were two more larger ones on the sides that didn't kick in until a little later in the show. The lasers and net of being backdrop showed up after the intermission, I believe.

They started off playing Jambi, which was a decent opener. Standard lighting and videos as the previous shows with fire and the female face. Maynard seemed really into it, cowboy hat on at first then removed it halfway through revealing his mohawk, doing back sways, swinging his hat and then directed our attention to Adam for the talkbox solo. Stinkfist really got the crowd going, of course. It wasn't extended this time, no Danny Solo and no break before "I'll keep digging..." but he made up for that later. I can remember somewhat the standard concert video for this song. Forty-Six & 2. What can I say? Awesome. Videos of humans in geometric shapes and DNA spirals, flowing clouds, eyes, the head with the face that goes in and out, the evolution of man... Danny's solo, everything was flawless. There may have been an instrumental break before Schism, then the standard video with the sped-up middle. Lost Keys was nice, sans dialogue.

Rosetta was once again, awesome live. The video starts out with a guy stumbling down the highway out in the desert. He's completely naked except for his underwear (white boxers). You see clips of him stumbling to get away from whatever it is he saw in the desert and they show flashes of what is going on his head - just clips flashing to the music. They showed planets and galaxies and brains and DNA, an alien head and cells living in a petri dish, the pyramids and Stonehenge and star maps. So essentially, you feel as though he was told through these image "who we are and where we are going in this ocean of chaos". Then after about 6 minutes, when it's purely instruments and there's the build up to the ~8:30 point of "overwhelmed as one would be" they show a scene of saturn with its rings. In the background you see the sun. You wonder where Earth is. They show Saturn moving in its orbit, then rewinding backward to the music and moving again and again. It was really pretty to see to the music and the energy of the crowd made it that much better. Then at the height of the build up you see scenes of destruction - sketches of weapons, hydrogen bombs, other weapons I don't know about, and you see explosions. Then at the end there was a big blue-green Jackie Chan alien head and you see that scene of Saturn and debris flying by that are supposed to be the earth, then more brains and DNA and alien heads and everything you've already seen, just flashing by really fast. I could swear there were sounds of ufos before or after the song...

So then they played Right in Two, with a abbreviated lyricless Intension before. The video starts with someone drawing a shape (forget what shape) with black ink onto a piece of paper.At the line of "angels on the sideline" they showed a typical tool alien creature and towards the end was more scenes of destruction - a bomb being dropped and emphasis on the face of a young man in a plane ready to drop the bomb and the shape at the beginning of the video has become a target. This was a nice change of pace.

They all slowly made their way to a platform on the stage and when Justin came over to Danny, it was almost as if Justin patted Danny on the back and was asking how he was doing and/or telling him he was doing great. They were sitting, with the three UFOs hovering above them, and none of them appeared to look up at them, as if it was normal, or only we could see them. There were some really neat designs in the middle of the UFOs, like a mandala or dreamcatcher. The band lit their lights and the crowd joined in for at least 2 minutes. Maybe it was a moment of silence for Maynard's mom. Right after that, they started with Wings. They had green lasers arranged like halos on the ceiling and orbs of light dancing around the stage. The screens mostly showed clouds lined in sunshine and kaleidoscopes, while the lasers made the shape of wings flying around, changing colors. There seemed to be a tunnel of smoke or clouds with a light in the middle near the end and the climaxes and slow parts were heavy with individual lasers, fitting perfectly with the music. It was beautiful, the whole thing.

After that they played Lateralus with Alex Grey artwork in the background, basically the standard video of spirals...and dancing lasers throughout. This was followed by Vicarious, with spinning heads and eyes, static and a tunnel grid-thing, among other stuff.

Then he said "well that about sums it up...but we do usually play this song" (something along those lines) and Aenema started. Great, as usual.

I'm sure there was some stuff I missed, like other comments and breaks here and there with sound effects, but that about sums it up for me.

The crowd was respectful for the most part, I got lucky not to have too many distractions around me. It was a great show, Tool has not lost their edge. They have evolved, like the rest of us and I will probably make it a point to go see every show I can as long as they keep going.

Thanks to friends who helped make this possible for me.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #33
Introverted Extrovert

Bincount™: 6698
Re: 2007/05/09 - Colorado Springs, CO - World Arena

This was my 3rd show in 1 year, almost to the date. It was superior to the Buell and Fiddler's.

Kinski was ok. I liked a song and maybe part of another one. All I could think was wow, they're kids! And something with their sound made my right eardrum feel like it was going to rattle out of my head.

We were sitting in sect. 112, two rows up from the floor on the aisle, pretty much in the center. Perfect view of everything and excellent sound. The stage set up for Tool was the usual, white floor, 4 smaller screens beind them, each representing a band member. There were two more larger ones on the sides that didn't kick in until a little later in the show. The lasers and net of being backdrop showed up after the intermission, I believe.

They started off playing Jambi, which was a decent opener. Standard lighting and videos as the previous shows with fire and the female face. Maynard seemed really into it, cowboy hat on at first then removed it halfway through revealing his mohawk, doing back sways, swinging his hat and then directed our attention to Adam for the talkbox solo. Stinkfist really got the crowd going, of course. It wasn't extended this time, no Danny Solo and no break before "I'll keep digging..." but he made up for that later. I can remember somewhat the standard concert video for this song. Forty-Six & 2. What can I say? Awesome. Videos of humans in geometric shapes and DNA spirals, flowing clouds, eyes, the head with the face that goes in and out, the evolution of man... Danny's solo, everything was flawless. There may have been an instrumental break before Schism, then the standard video with the sped-up middle. Lost Keys was nice, sans dialogue.

Rosetta was once again, awesome live. The video starts out with a guy stumbling down the highway out in the desert. He's completely naked except for his underwear (white boxers). You see clips of him stumbling to get away from whatever it is he saw in the desert and they show flashes of what is going on his head - just clips flashing to the music. They showed planets and galaxies and brains and DNA, an alien head and cells living in a petri dish, the pyramids and Stonehenge and star maps. So essentially, you feel as though he was told through these image "who we are and where we are going in this ocean of chaos". Then after about 6 minutes, when it's purely instruments and there's the build up to the ~8:30 point of "overwhelmed as one would be" they show a scene of saturn with its rings. In the background you see the sun. You wonder where Earth is. They show Saturn moving in its orbit, then rewinding backward to the music and moving again and again. It was really pretty to see to the music and the energy of the crowd made it that much better. Then at the height of the build up you see scenes of destruction - sketches of weapons, hydrogen bombs, other weapons I don't know about, and you see explosions. Then at the end there was a big blue-green Jackie Chan alien head and you see that scene of Saturn and debris flying by that are supposed to be the earth, then more brains and DNA and alien heads and everything you've already seen, just flashing by really fast. I could swear there were sounds of ufos before or after the song...

So then they played Right in Two, with a abbreviated lyricless Intension before. The video starts with someone drawing a shape (forget what shape) with black ink onto a piece of paper.At the line of "angels on the sideline" they showed a typical tool alien creature and towards the end was more scenes of destruction - a bomb being dropped and emphasis on the face of a young man in a plane ready to drop the bomb and the shape at the beginning of the video has become a target. This was a nice change of pace.

They all slowly made their way to a platform on the stage and when Justin came over to Danny, it was almost as if Justin patted Danny on the back and was asking how he was doing and/or telling him he was doing great. They were sitting, with the three UFOs hovering above them, and none of them appeared to look up at them, as if it was normal, or only we could see them. There were some really neat designs in the middle of the UFOs, like a mandala or dreamcatcher. The band lit their lights and the crowd joined in for at least 2 minutes. Maybe it was a moment of silence for Maynard's mom. Right after that, they started with Wings. They had green lasers arranged like halos on the ceiling and orbs of light dancing around the stage. The screens mostly showed clouds lined in sunshine and kaleidoscopes, while the lasers made the shape of wings flying around, changing colors. There seemed to be a tunnel of smoke or clouds with a light in the middle near the end and the climaxes and slow parts were heavy with individual lasers, fitting perfectly with the music. It was beautiful, the whole thing.

After that they played Lateralus with Alex Grey artwork in the background, basically the standard video of spirals...and dancing lasers throughout. This was followed by Vicarious, with spinning heads and eyes, static and a tunnel grid-thing, among other stuff.

Then he said "well that about sums it up...but we do usually play this song" (something along those lines) and Aenema started. Great, as usual.

I'm sure there was some stuff I missed, like other comments and breaks here and there with sound effects, but that about sums it up for me.

The crowd was respectful for the most part, I got lucky not to have too many distractions around me. It was a great show, Tool has not lost their edge. They have evolved, like the rest of us and I will probably make it a point to go see every show I can as long as they keep going.

Thanks to friends who helped make this possible for me.
OFFLINE |