View Single Post
2and46's Avatar 2and46
05-09-2007, 05:30 AM

He said "What's that smell"..obviously alluding to the copious amounts marijuana smoke (not that I'm complaining). The circulation wasn't the best in that place. I was almost at the front of the stage right under justin..maybe a little my left of him.

I'll post a review later..I've had 2 hours of sleep and am already off to work (after a 3 hour drive home).

Its hard to come up with something fresh given the hundreds of reviews on here. My first reaction was that this was a straight forward rock show. They "threw down". I've seen Tool many times (although the first opportunity I've had on this tour), and I dont remember them being as tight as they were last night. If there is a better drummer than Danny Carey, I'd like to see him because he is utterly fascinating to watch. I always like trying to watch his eyes, and he looks possesed much of the time. Justin was also in solid form, and I dont ever remember him being as enthusiastic as he was last night. To sum it up, they looked like they were having fun and soaking in the fact that they have become maybe the most respected rock band in the world. They exude confidence in every thing they do. Furthermore, Adam was quite on target as well with no real noticable transgressions (Adam had his hair tied back).

What can you say about the light show that hasn't already been said? They light show was particularly amazing during 10,000 days and Right in Two. Sometimes the lights became a little discombobulating, kind of causing you to lose your sense of self for brief moments (or maybe that was the sticky icky). I would like to go back and watch this on DVD if they ever come out with one. mainly because there are so many thematic sequences going on, its hard to catch it all. The gargantuan size of the stage/screens make it difficult to internalize the incredibly interesting concepts of the film show. I also think the lights themselves tried to communicate subtle points that many may have missed (the cage like strobe wall at the end of right in two comes to mind).

For those of you who dont particularly care for the set list, no worries. The reason is because of all of the interesting "trippy ass" intros, and some rather bizarre effects that introduced most songs. In fact, the intros were one of my favorite parts of the show (among so many). But then again I'm a "third eye" type of guy, so I like the heavy psychedelia of Tool. The best section of the show was the almighty trek of LK/Rosetta, 10,000 days and Right in Two. That's when, for me, the show hit its apex. Tightly performed. although 10,000 days is not one of my favorite Tool songs, it was executed flawlessly, especially when throwing in the amazing lights at this point of the show.

I think Tool set out on this tour to punch you squarley in the mouth. It was a heavy, heavy rock show. As heavy as I've ever seen them. They just flat out brought it. I dont know if I could have had any more respect for them coming into the show, but this performance set them up an an even higher pedastal. You wont be dissapointed.

I forgot to add..Intention was played for a minute as an intro to Right in Two. That was a surprise, and quite well done.

Last edited by 2and46; 05-09-2007 at 07:12 AM..
Old 05-09-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746
Re: 2007/05/08 - Albuqurque, NM - Tingley Coliseum

He said "What's that smell"..obviously alluding to the copious amounts marijuana smoke (not that I'm complaining). The circulation wasn't the best in that place. I was almost at the front of the stage right under justin..maybe a little my left of him.

I'll post a review later..I've had 2 hours of sleep and am already off to work (after a 3 hour drive home).

Its hard to come up with something fresh given the hundreds of reviews on here. My first reaction was that this was a straight forward rock show. They "threw down". I've seen Tool many times (although the first opportunity I've had on this tour), and I dont remember them being as tight as they were last night. If there is a better drummer than Danny Carey, I'd like to see him because he is utterly fascinating to watch. I always like trying to watch his eyes, and he looks possesed much of the time. Justin was also in solid form, and I dont ever remember him being as enthusiastic as he was last night. To sum it up, they looked like they were having fun and soaking in the fact that they have become maybe the most respected rock band in the world. They exude confidence in every thing they do. Furthermore, Adam was quite on target as well with no real noticable transgressions (Adam had his hair tied back).

What can you say about the light show that hasn't already been said? They light show was particularly amazing during 10,000 days and Right in Two. Sometimes the lights became a little discombobulating, kind of causing you to lose your sense of self for brief moments (or maybe that was the sticky icky). I would like to go back and watch this on DVD if they ever come out with one. mainly because there are so many thematic sequences going on, its hard to catch it all. The gargantuan size of the stage/screens make it difficult to internalize the incredibly interesting concepts of the film show. I also think the lights themselves tried to communicate subtle points that many may have missed (the cage like strobe wall at the end of right in two comes to mind).

For those of you who dont particularly care for the set list, no worries. The reason is because of all of the interesting "trippy ass" intros, and some rather bizarre effects that introduced most songs. In fact, the intros were one of my favorite parts of the show (among so many). But then again I'm a "third eye" type of guy, so I like the heavy psychedelia of Tool. The best section of the show was the almighty trek of LK/Rosetta, 10,000 days and Right in Two. That's when, for me, the show hit its apex. Tightly performed. although 10,000 days is not one of my favorite Tool songs, it was executed flawlessly, especially when throwing in the amazing lights at this point of the show.

I think Tool set out on this tour to punch you squarley in the mouth. It was a heavy, heavy rock show. As heavy as I've ever seen them. They just flat out brought it. I dont know if I could have had any more respect for them coming into the show, but this performance set them up an an even higher pedastal. You wont be dissapointed.

I forgot to add..Intention was played for a minute as an intro to Right in Two. That was a surprise, and quite well done.

Last edited by 2and46; 05-09-2007 at 07:12 AM..
OFFLINE |