View Single Post
Stone Rocker
05-08-2007, 06:09 AM

I have never registered at a band site before, so be gentle. However; this morning I looked and found http://toolshed.down.net/ then this, so I wanted to comment on the excellent show. For Tool there is this:

In my youth I spent many hours deciphering lyrics to Judas Priest albums, singing with Robert Halford and the "Saints in hell", mankind the "Stained Class" with many of the early songs relating to the corruption of humanity...... if I were still young it would have been TOOL I would have stood in line for, made my own T-Shirts for, as there was no merchandizing then.... It would have been me waiting out front of the show doors to open and to spend every dollar I had on better stereo equipment to appreciate your sound all the better ....those sweaty obsessed fervent years of metal music mesmerization, It is a level of intensity I see fans have for TOOL. This is great to see and a burden for you to be sure, but a compliment as well.

You are so much more sophisticated, but bloody raw. There is such great beauty and yet the stench of death in your lyric. You are uglier than blindness and brighter than the sun, neither of which lets humans see again. You are more than the early metal, but your meat has fattened on the bones of the early ones.

All due respect! However, we are all an evolution of what has been. I love the whole symphony of your music and I have always had a special respect for all great vocalists. Who knew there was you?

Now to see the performance live it was a gift and I truly thank you all.

Thank you for your depth, humor, righteous indignation and thoughtful insights. How great. I knew I loved your music, but the show blew my mind. It was a mighty wind of clean air thru my head of cobwebs. I was entranced.

Sometimes I think humanity does not deserve to survive, but then there are moments when you realize like skin, music can reflect elasticity that proves the possibilities of human flexibility, spiritual tolerance and maybe even id growth. You show this but show the slothful decay down a slippery slope of indulgence and brainwashing consumption we humans for the most part choose... Yet, all things happening ever so slowly...... as the erosion of the planet does.

You are always welcome to visit New Mexico and discover the unvarnished desert and arid self reliance that comes from living here, away from the things of man.

We are all just animals.

And to you TOOL Fans:

It is refreshing to see that there are still young people out there that value great music. I have been going to concerts since the 70’s and I hope to keep enjoying the depth and breadth of thought provoking music, such as this, way after I can no longer physically enjoy the euphoria provided by the caliber of complete performance art Tool provided in Las Cruces on Saturday night.

In my years of listening to Heavy metal, Alternative, Punk, and Rock ‘n’ Roll I have seen many concerts and loved the work of many bands. I am thankful that my little span of time on Earth has coincided with the advent and blossoming of such Talent, Skill, and Art that encompass Tool. If there were a band to compare them to, I should know of them, but my attempts are fruitless as the talent, verve, rawness and perfection they displayed is like no other.

I traveled to the show in Las Cruces because I will never go to Tingley Coliseum in Albuquerque again. Not even for the reunited and risen from the dead Beatles. Tingley is a dilapidated, broken down, cow palace ( 40+ years a Rodeo Arena) which has no proper acoustics, or ambiance to accommodate a band of this scope. I am sorely disappointed Tool are not going to be at the Journal Pavilion, as the stars would make a triumphant backdrop to the magnificent laser and light show they gave us. Yes, perhaps a few effects might be different, but none the less grand under the amazing clear skies and constellations stars ' , and the glimmer of planets you can see in our night skies here in New Mexico…. There is also a new arena in Rio Rancho, ANYTHING but Tingley! I regress however, as I am thankful that they included New Mexico in the tour dates at all.

I have to say, that having seen most of the major “Rock Bands” over the course of the years I have written about, and interviewed bands, I found Tool to have the best overall superfluous, but fabulous light and video performance I have ever seen. It was mesmerizing. Visions of complex blood and bone biological kaleidoscopes careening across the stage, romping and looping through the fears and thrills of the human condition. The strength and vivid calliope of color were as if gemstones were cart wheeling thru the sky. The visual acumen of the ALL and the NOTHING reaching into the depths of human capacity on the scale of space and time as we know it, were brought to mind.

The music was every bit as meticulous as the studio versions, and the ambiance of their lyrics was particularly prevalent in the attitude and performance stature they displayed. From the first time I experienced Tool (“Undertow” ’93,) I have been enamored with this unique and powerful band. Now that I have seen them on stage they have reached the live standard of maestro. Surely much more than I expected mere humans to be capable of live. My thanks to the band for a masterful performance and grand memory I will treasure each time I listen to your music from now on, and which is forever tied to your breathing , bleeding , heart rendering living performance. In itself TOOL is an example of human justification as a species.

Even those of you who are the elite follower of Tool should hold the cuss and discuss to a minimum, I note that the intoxicating lure to judge the awesome gift you have received is succumbed to by some who have posted. It is unfortunate that we often criticize what we should awe. Perhaps it is the nature of the feeling of awe that causes the judgments, " you don’t seem true to your beginnings " , " you sell T-shirts " , " you perform for the unworthy " …. I say we are lucky to see them at all, a band like this does not have to play live shows. The distain Maynard vocalized when he said "We will wrap this up so you can go get wasted", (in reference to Cinco de Mayo) and "If you must get drunk and wasted, do it away from me so I don't have to deal with it!" Remember the Beatles quit because the world was insane.

I say, after interviewing and eagerly watching many bands, housing a world of wonders in the heart of my mind that Tool is the reigning RUSH of it’s day, and I hope to grow old(er) still listening and watching the beauty and marrow of their gifts. Please give us a DVD!

Stone Rocker
Old 05-08-2007, 06:09 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/05/05 - Las Cruces, NM - Pan American Center

I have never registered at a band site before, so be gentle. However; this morning I looked and found http://toolshed.down.net/ then this, so I wanted to comment on the excellent show. For Tool there is this:

In my youth I spent many hours deciphering lyrics to Judas Priest albums, singing with Robert Halford and the "Saints in hell", mankind the "Stained Class" with many of the early songs relating to the corruption of humanity...... if I were still young it would have been TOOL I would have stood in line for, made my own T-Shirts for, as there was no merchandizing then.... It would have been me waiting out front of the show doors to open and to spend every dollar I had on better stereo equipment to appreciate your sound all the better ....those sweaty obsessed fervent years of metal music mesmerization, It is a level of intensity I see fans have for TOOL. This is great to see and a burden for you to be sure, but a compliment as well.

You are so much more sophisticated, but bloody raw. There is such great beauty and yet the stench of death in your lyric. You are uglier than blindness and brighter than the sun, neither of which lets humans see again. You are more than the early metal, but your meat has fattened on the bones of the early ones.

All due respect! However, we are all an evolution of what has been. I love the whole symphony of your music and I have always had a special respect for all great vocalists. Who knew there was you?

Now to see the performance live it was a gift and I truly thank you all.

Thank you for your depth, humor, righteous indignation and thoughtful insights. How great. I knew I loved your music, but the show blew my mind. It was a mighty wind of clean air thru my head of cobwebs. I was entranced.

Sometimes I think humanity does not deserve to survive, but then there are moments when you realize like skin, music can reflect elasticity that proves the possibilities of human flexibility, spiritual tolerance and maybe even id growth. You show this but show the slothful decay down a slippery slope of indulgence and brainwashing consumption we humans for the most part choose... Yet, all things happening ever so slowly...... as the erosion of the planet does.

You are always welcome to visit New Mexico and discover the unvarnished desert and arid self reliance that comes from living here, away from the things of man.

We are all just animals.

And to you TOOL Fans:

It is refreshing to see that there are still young people out there that value great music. I have been going to concerts since the 70’s and I hope to keep enjoying the depth and breadth of thought provoking music, such as this, way after I can no longer physically enjoy the euphoria provided by the caliber of complete performance art Tool provided in Las Cruces on Saturday night.

In my years of listening to Heavy metal, Alternative, Punk, and Rock ‘n’ Roll I have seen many concerts and loved the work of many bands. I am thankful that my little span of time on Earth has coincided with the advent and blossoming of such Talent, Skill, and Art that encompass Tool. If there were a band to compare them to, I should know of them, but my attempts are fruitless as the talent, verve, rawness and perfection they displayed is like no other.

I traveled to the show in Las Cruces because I will never go to Tingley Coliseum in Albuquerque again. Not even for the reunited and risen from the dead Beatles. Tingley is a dilapidated, broken down, cow palace ( 40+ years a Rodeo Arena) which has no proper acoustics, or ambiance to accommodate a band of this scope. I am sorely disappointed Tool are not going to be at the Journal Pavilion, as the stars would make a triumphant backdrop to the magnificent laser and light show they gave us. Yes, perhaps a few effects might be different, but none the less grand under the amazing clear skies and constellations stars ' , and the glimmer of planets you can see in our night skies here in New Mexico…. There is also a new arena in Rio Rancho, ANYTHING but Tingley! I regress however, as I am thankful that they included New Mexico in the tour dates at all.

I have to say, that having seen most of the major “Rock Bands” over the course of the years I have written about, and interviewed bands, I found Tool to have the best overall superfluous, but fabulous light and video performance I have ever seen. It was mesmerizing. Visions of complex blood and bone biological kaleidoscopes careening across the stage, romping and looping through the fears and thrills of the human condition. The strength and vivid calliope of color were as if gemstones were cart wheeling thru the sky. The visual acumen of the ALL and the NOTHING reaching into the depths of human capacity on the scale of space and time as we know it, were brought to mind.

The music was every bit as meticulous as the studio versions, and the ambiance of their lyrics was particularly prevalent in the attitude and performance stature they displayed. From the first time I experienced Tool (“Undertow” ’93,) I have been enamored with this unique and powerful band. Now that I have seen them on stage they have reached the live standard of maestro. Surely much more than I expected mere humans to be capable of live. My thanks to the band for a masterful performance and grand memory I will treasure each time I listen to your music from now on, and which is forever tied to your breathing , bleeding , heart rendering living performance. In itself TOOL is an example of human justification as a species.

Even those of you who are the elite follower of Tool should hold the cuss and discuss to a minimum, I note that the intoxicating lure to judge the awesome gift you have received is succumbed to by some who have posted. It is unfortunate that we often criticize what we should awe. Perhaps it is the nature of the feeling of awe that causes the judgments, " you don’t seem true to your beginnings " , " you sell T-shirts " , " you perform for the unworthy " …. I say we are lucky to see them at all, a band like this does not have to play live shows. The distain Maynard vocalized when he said "We will wrap this up so you can go get wasted", (in reference to Cinco de Mayo) and "If you must get drunk and wasted, do it away from me so I don't have to deal with it!" Remember the Beatles quit because the world was insane.

I say, after interviewing and eagerly watching many bands, housing a world of wonders in the heart of my mind that Tool is the reigning RUSH of it’s day, and I hope to grow old(er) still listening and watching the beauty and marrow of their gifts. Please give us a DVD!

Stone Rocker
OFFLINE |