View Single Post
Xelassaba
05-07-2007, 12:27 AM

My 2nd Tool show and an amazing one at that. There are those who claim that they're tired of the same old setlist, and that the fact that they play the same setlist is a mockery, but I simply feel that they're perfecting their art. Quite honestly, I could care less if they played the exact same setlist in Albuquerque in a few days because the intensity of message and emotion that is conveyed by their music is incredible regardless of the song they play. At the same time, I would be overjoyed to hear a different setlist simply because I know it would contain that same intensity. Live for the music and the moment, not for the disappointment of not hearing a new song.

Jambi was played wonderfully, as usual, though sound was not perfectly worked out at this point. I was upfront and against the railing so I would expect to hear very little of Maynard, but at this point I had to strain my ears to hear him at all. Come Forty Six & 2 that problem seemed to be solved. Adam played his talkbox solo quite well. I always find it fascinating to watch him enunciating his syllables at the mike while playing the guitar at the same time. I was on the the left of the stage a little bit so Adam was nearly right in front of me and I had an excellent view of him during this solo. Hooray for arriving nearly 7 hours before the doors opened!

Stinkfist always seems to set the mood for the concert. I agree with some of the above posts in the sense that Stinkfist really should be the opener as the crowd really acquires a massive amount of energy from this song. No extension to the song, sadly. It was probably removed to be replaced by Danny's drum solo in Lateralus.

Forty Six & 2 was wonderful this time round. Last time we saw them it was in Phoenix, and Maynard was hit in the head with a bottle shortly after the previous song started(which was The Pot sadly enough). He then proceeded to kick his mic down and walked off stage. We were horrified when he didn't return until late into Forty Six & 2 and so I was overjoyed when he sang the full song this time round.

Schism was amazing. They played a combination of both a sped up bridge and a slow bridge, which was really intense. A few of my companions were in tears during this song as the whole band seemed to really be warmed up and playing as one at this point.

LOST KEYS was played prior to Rosetta, though the official setlist lacks that specific wording. The visuals for Rosetta Stoned were breath taking and at this point. I don't think there was a one of my party that wasn't misty-eyed.

Right in Two is definitely Danny's song. Watching him play his tamba pads during the drum solo was overwhelming. That man has an endless amount of talent, even after he's torn his bicep. We heard the band warming up on Intension and had hoped for this to be added to the setlist, but were sad when they proceeded directly into Right In Two.

The band took their usual 5 to 10 minute break here. Danny iced his bicep and the four sat down and relaxed and absorbed the crowd's energy. Justin pulled out his lighter, lit it, held it up, and laid down. We were all amused by this. At the end of the break, Danny took his ice bag and threw it out into the crowd.

Wings 1 and 2 are probably the most emotional songs of the whole setlist for me. I was in tears and standing open-mouthed as I could do little but watch and take it all in. I have to say, the crowd was much more respectful during this song (as would be hoped) and I'm very proud of them for that. There were the usual morons, but they can be dealt with, I suppose.

Lateralus is always mind-blowing live. The bridge was extended for Danny's solo and as usual, I was blown away by the man. At the same time, I was mind boggled by Justin. That man is solid as a rock. He watched Danny while playing his straight rythm and never lost a single beat. His time is impeccable.

Vicarious is meant to be played live. When the song was originally released as a single, I was impressed, but not immediately blown away. I think you have to see this song live to really appreciate it. Also, before this song, Maynard did his little Cinco de Mayo spiel and we were given a wonderfully long intro with Maynard and Adam on keyboards, and Justin using his beer bottle as a slide on his bass!

Aenema (or Aenima, as it was listed on the setlist), was flawless and the perfect closer.

After the show, Maynard threw several water bottles out too the crowd and Danny also threw out a drum head and drum stick. Adam also threw out one of the drum heads. The band did their usual group hug and walked off stage. As we were waiting for the crowd to clear, the clean up crew came out and one of them pulled Adam's official setlist off the stage. Those of us still near the stage threw out our arms for it. He then proceeded to fold it up several times to tease us and make us wait, but finally threw it into our grappling hands. There must've been at least a dozen people all trying to get their hands on it, but one of my party managed to grab it and held to it tight. Even when it was in his hands, people were trying to rip it from him, but thankfully one of the security folk came up and clearly stated, "He's got it. It's his." Needless to say, we were all stoked about this and plan to frame it.

Once again I am blown away by Tool's amazing ability to transfer emotion through their instruments and into my mind. They're four professionals who have learned the ins and outs of their field and can produce a result that exactly resembles what they're trying to achieve. This concert was made all the better by some of the people we met. There was a group from nearby New Mexico and Texas towns that was particularly friendly and we spent several hours chatting with in line. There were also two people from Montreal that were simply stopping by Cruces to see the show as they thought it would make a nice addition to their trip. They were certainly right!!! Last, but certainly not least. The security folk there were some of the nicest and most helpful security I've ever met. If you guys read this (particularly Joel), thanks a million!

To sum it all up, wonderful show and I can't wait until Tuesday!
Old 05-07-2007, 12:27 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/05/05 - Las Cruces, NM - Pan American Center

My 2nd Tool show and an amazing one at that. There are those who claim that they're tired of the same old setlist, and that the fact that they play the same setlist is a mockery, but I simply feel that they're perfecting their art. Quite honestly, I could care less if they played the exact same setlist in Albuquerque in a few days because the intensity of message and emotion that is conveyed by their music is incredible regardless of the song they play. At the same time, I would be overjoyed to hear a different setlist simply because I know it would contain that same intensity. Live for the music and the moment, not for the disappointment of not hearing a new song.

Jambi was played wonderfully, as usual, though sound was not perfectly worked out at this point. I was upfront and against the railing so I would expect to hear very little of Maynard, but at this point I had to strain my ears to hear him at all. Come Forty Six & 2 that problem seemed to be solved. Adam played his talkbox solo quite well. I always find it fascinating to watch him enunciating his syllables at the mike while playing the guitar at the same time. I was on the the left of the stage a little bit so Adam was nearly right in front of me and I had an excellent view of him during this solo. Hooray for arriving nearly 7 hours before the doors opened!

Stinkfist always seems to set the mood for the concert. I agree with some of the above posts in the sense that Stinkfist really should be the opener as the crowd really acquires a massive amount of energy from this song. No extension to the song, sadly. It was probably removed to be replaced by Danny's drum solo in Lateralus.

Forty Six & 2 was wonderful this time round. Last time we saw them it was in Phoenix, and Maynard was hit in the head with a bottle shortly after the previous song started(which was The Pot sadly enough). He then proceeded to kick his mic down and walked off stage. We were horrified when he didn't return until late into Forty Six & 2 and so I was overjoyed when he sang the full song this time round.

Schism was amazing. They played a combination of both a sped up bridge and a slow bridge, which was really intense. A few of my companions were in tears during this song as the whole band seemed to really be warmed up and playing as one at this point.

LOST KEYS was played prior to Rosetta, though the official setlist lacks that specific wording. The visuals for Rosetta Stoned were breath taking and at this point. I don't think there was a one of my party that wasn't misty-eyed.

Right in Two is definitely Danny's song. Watching him play his tamba pads during the drum solo was overwhelming. That man has an endless amount of talent, even after he's torn his bicep. We heard the band warming up on Intension and had hoped for this to be added to the setlist, but were sad when they proceeded directly into Right In Two.

The band took their usual 5 to 10 minute break here. Danny iced his bicep and the four sat down and relaxed and absorbed the crowd's energy. Justin pulled out his lighter, lit it, held it up, and laid down. We were all amused by this. At the end of the break, Danny took his ice bag and threw it out into the crowd.

Wings 1 and 2 are probably the most emotional songs of the whole setlist for me. I was in tears and standing open-mouthed as I could do little but watch and take it all in. I have to say, the crowd was much more respectful during this song (as would be hoped) and I'm very proud of them for that. There were the usual morons, but they can be dealt with, I suppose.

Lateralus is always mind-blowing live. The bridge was extended for Danny's solo and as usual, I was blown away by the man. At the same time, I was mind boggled by Justin. That man is solid as a rock. He watched Danny while playing his straight rythm and never lost a single beat. His time is impeccable.

Vicarious is meant to be played live. When the song was originally released as a single, I was impressed, but not immediately blown away. I think you have to see this song live to really appreciate it. Also, before this song, Maynard did his little Cinco de Mayo spiel and we were given a wonderfully long intro with Maynard and Adam on keyboards, and Justin using his beer bottle as a slide on his bass!

Aenema (or Aenima, as it was listed on the setlist), was flawless and the perfect closer.

After the show, Maynard threw several water bottles out too the crowd and Danny also threw out a drum head and drum stick. Adam also threw out one of the drum heads. The band did their usual group hug and walked off stage. As we were waiting for the crowd to clear, the clean up crew came out and one of them pulled Adam's official setlist off the stage. Those of us still near the stage threw out our arms for it. He then proceeded to fold it up several times to tease us and make us wait, but finally threw it into our grappling hands. There must've been at least a dozen people all trying to get their hands on it, but one of my party managed to grab it and held to it tight. Even when it was in his hands, people were trying to rip it from him, but thankfully one of the security folk came up and clearly stated, "He's got it. It's his." Needless to say, we were all stoked about this and plan to frame it.

Once again I am blown away by Tool's amazing ability to transfer emotion through their instruments and into my mind. They're four professionals who have learned the ins and outs of their field and can produce a result that exactly resembles what they're trying to achieve. This concert was made all the better by some of the people we met. There was a group from nearby New Mexico and Texas towns that was particularly friendly and we spent several hours chatting with in line. There were also two people from Montreal that were simply stopping by Cruces to see the show as they thought it would make a nice addition to their trip. They were certainly right!!! Last, but certainly not least. The security folk there were some of the nicest and most helpful security I've ever met. If you guys read this (particularly Joel), thanks a million!

To sum it all up, wonderful show and I can't wait until Tuesday!
OFFLINE |