View Single Post
Team Coors Light
05-02-2007, 07:27 AM

I am going to chime back in here...I have had additional time to reflect and I would like to amend my previous post a bit...

It is well-known that TOOL sees themselves as "an instrument" (hence the name) of education into different perspectives and "states of being"...this is clearly reflected in their music...music meaning words and tunes...and they do a very good job at this which is why I, for one, will always appreciate their work and performances, even if it is not "what I expected"...

What I have learned about TOOL in my time is not to have any expectations. It makes what they do, what they "say" that much more powerful and meaningful.

Part of MJK's persona is that he like to have "conversations" with the crowd...some of their songs, such as Vicarious, are illustrations of this. While I can honestly say that I was a bit disheartened that he didn't sing the "hooks" or "climaxes" of the songs (and I doubt this was for any reason than it just "wasn't in him" in Reno) I can entertain the notion that, as an audience, it is good for him...for all of them to hear us singing it for him. To show them that we can adjust and be a part of the show as well.

TOOL has always been a band that tries to create an interactive experience with its fans. Most other acts out there just want to go on stage, do their thing, and move on. In the meantime, these folks saturate our minds through the interwebs, media, tv shows, etc.. with their rhetoric. Blah Blah Blah. TOOL is not like that. They put our money where their mouths are in song and show...and they leave the rest to us...to draw our own conclusions...make our own decisions...be who we want to be...and we thank them for the inspiration.

Would MJK telling us the audience that his voice was shot or the he was sick REALLY make a difference? I don't think so. I think people would complain either way because that is what people do....complain.

TOOL will stop touring and creating when people stop understanding what they are all about and I fear we are getting closer to that...

Would I have liked to hear MJK sing in full voice "Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position...such a heavy burden now to be the One. Born to bear and bring you all the details of our ending...to write it down for all the world to see...." Of course I would. But I'll telly you that I had goose-bumps and tears in my eyes as I sang it for him...and I have them now as I type.

/cried the whole Marysville show...as I sang.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:27 AM   #35
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/04/30 - Reno, NV - Event Center

I am going to chime back in here...I have had additional time to reflect and I would like to amend my previous post a bit...

It is well-known that TOOL sees themselves as "an instrument" (hence the name) of education into different perspectives and "states of being"...this is clearly reflected in their music...music meaning words and tunes...and they do a very good job at this which is why I, for one, will always appreciate their work and performances, even if it is not "what I expected"...

What I have learned about TOOL in my time is not to have any expectations. It makes what they do, what they "say" that much more powerful and meaningful.

Part of MJK's persona is that he like to have "conversations" with the crowd...some of their songs, such as Vicarious, are illustrations of this. While I can honestly say that I was a bit disheartened that he didn't sing the "hooks" or "climaxes" of the songs (and I doubt this was for any reason than it just "wasn't in him" in Reno) I can entertain the notion that, as an audience, it is good for him...for all of them to hear us singing it for him. To show them that we can adjust and be a part of the show as well.

TOOL has always been a band that tries to create an interactive experience with its fans. Most other acts out there just want to go on stage, do their thing, and move on. In the meantime, these folks saturate our minds through the interwebs, media, tv shows, etc.. with their rhetoric. Blah Blah Blah. TOOL is not like that. They put our money where their mouths are in song and show...and they leave the rest to us...to draw our own conclusions...make our own decisions...be who we want to be...and we thank them for the inspiration.

Would MJK telling us the audience that his voice was shot or the he was sick REALLY make a difference? I don't think so. I think people would complain either way because that is what people do....complain.

TOOL will stop touring and creating when people stop understanding what they are all about and I fear we are getting closer to that...

Would I have liked to hear MJK sing in full voice "Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position...such a heavy burden now to be the One. Born to bear and bring you all the details of our ending...to write it down for all the world to see...." Of course I would. But I'll telly you that I had goose-bumps and tears in my eyes as I sang it for him...and I have them now as I type.

/cried the whole Marysville show...as I sang.