View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/10/02 - Wilkes-Barre, PA - Wachovia Arena

The show was great because it's TOOL and from my experience they don't do bad shows, however there were a few things they could have improved and hopefully will before the next tour.

The first thing was the sound. Terrible. I had a pretty decent seat and I'm paying for it now because my ears are still ringing, but that's expectable at any loud concert. It was the sound QUALITY that got me. Some of the vocals and most of Justin's non-technical stuff was just completely washed out by the amp distortion on the right side and Adam's guitar on the left. It sounded like I was listening to the whole show from inside a blender filled with broken glass. It seemed to get louder and louder as the show went on and by the time they got to Schism it was all down hill as far as quality goes. I'm not blaming Tool or their crew for this, I just think the arena wasn't designed for quality acoustics.

The other aspect of the show I didn't really care for was the white stage/light show. It's a great concept but it just doesnt seem to work that well. Using the stage as a screen was neat but it was so big and blurry that I had to keep checking the scoreboard to see what I was looking at. I was BLOWN AWAY by the massive back-drop screens they used on the Lateralus tour and this just didn't thrill me at all. The same goes for the laser lights. They were neat but kind of redundant at the same time. First of all if you're going to do a light show you have to go all out the way Pink FLoyd used to. Tool's lights were kind of half-assed. Secondly if you're going to have a light show then why use videos at all? I don't think Tool is really a laser light type of band. Part of their "tick" has always been the mysticism vs. in-your-faceness (yeah I just made that up) that concert-goers got to experience by watching them play their music live while watching these creatively GENIUS videos play in the background. Trying to figure out that big mess on the floor really took away from the show (no I didn't have floor seats).

Other than that the show was great. The set list was awsome...I won't bother posting it because I'm sure someone else already has. and the security was suprisingly cool.

One lat thing: what the hell was the big black thing(s) running the length of the stage that the security guys were leaning on? Can some one tell me?
OFFLINE |