View Single Post
Prem Kala's Avatar Prem Kala
02-06-2011, 09:37 PM

I've been traveling to many places all over the world and just happened to have caught a Tool concert while settling in Western Australia.

The band was missed in various locations world wide during my travels: I missed Tool by 8 hours in Vancouver, I was on vacation with my family in Hawaii just two weeks before the band arrived in Honolulu, and was at a retreat in the country side near Byron Bay, Australia while Tool played in Sydney.

...I was not chasing Tool but just happened to have had some personal business in the same regions where they were playing.

---I'm Canadian, but lived mainly in Australia since March 2010 on a Working Holiday Visa. I fell so deeply in love with the Indian Ocean beaches along Western Australia that it was decided to extend my stay here through a Student Visa starting in FEB at a college an hour north of Perth.---

Anyway, I arrived in Perth just days before the Big Day Out was in town.

Here is a map and timetable of the Big Day Out in Perth to get more of a visual:
http://www.bigdayout.com/documents/f...imes_PERTH.pdf
http://www.bigdayout.com/documents/f...emap_PERTH.pdf

The place was a head bangers dream as there was so much space in the audience to just let your body go nuts to the beats. Many great bands were there which I never heard of and it was awesome to rock out like a maniac up close to the stage while Deftones was pumping.

At around 6:00 or so, I made my way as close as possible to the Blue Stage where Tool was going to play by 8:45. As soon as Iggy and the Stooges finished their set at 7:30 there was enough free space to effortlessly push up slightly off center to the very front by the fence. It really made me wonder how a lean and skinny vegan like myself was able to be so up close to the stage... left alone, at the very edge!!

I was able to lean over enough to get a good view of the entertaining, powerful, and hilarious set Rammstein had on the Orange Stage @ 7:30 (which was just to the left of the Blue Stage). Oh that German singing just blew everyone away and thank goodness for the space in front of myself to just rock forward to their heavy rhythm!!! What a great band to watch before a Tool concert...

Before getting into how explosively outstanding the Tool Concert was, it should be noted that I was on no drugs whatsoever. I never do drugs during Tool as their music is good on its own.

It will take days, weeks, or even months to recover from the bliss of this concert.

Danny, Adam, Justin and Maynard came on stage and just merged together in just the most energetic explosion of sound waves... just recalling this now makes it so difficult to type as that moment was that powerful.

Everything was left behind after that moment.

The past, future, desires, and myself just disappeared into the opening song Jambi. The music penetrated so deep into my heart and was pumped from there to every organ, cell, and nerve of the body. The music possessed the body and swayed to the bands divine sounds... Waves of bliss pumped in and out of my heart... The air was as if it was made of an invisible form of ecstasy; as how my lungs perceived it with every inhale and exhale. This was so intense that during Lateralus I was about to uncontrollably break out into crying, but held it back, regretfully, due to the security in the front with a close eye on me.

---A long time ago I used to do drugs in order to become centered and to find truth to the universe and the self, but searching for truth in this way wasn't getting me anywhere. The song Third Eye inspired me to stop taking drugs to seek for truth and to dive deep into various meditation retreats worldwide instead. After a long time of meditation practice one can become very sensitive and whatever was experienced at this Tool Concert was like no drug I've ever taken before... Lost in bliss, and yet so aware, centered, calm, still, and not bothered.---

After the last song, the band said their good byes and everyone expressed their thanks and love for the set. Danny Carey threw out his drum sticks to the fans. The person to my left grabbed the first drum stick and the person on my right caught the other. Honestly, it really didn't matter that they weren't caught as the love the band poured out through their music out to the crowd was more than enough to take home.

Everyone began wondering away from the stage and I walked over to some steps where I collapsed into a sitting position. An effortless silence overwhelmed me... There was a lot of noise going on around, but inside was silent, still, and unaffected. This gave a clear glimpse of no mind. So crisp, so aware, yet silent. Deep in a like sleep state, yet fully awake. Just indescribable and no words can explain. Centered and Content.

It was the greatest Live Tool concert experience ever and still has its effect.

I'm just so incredibly grateful for Tool and so incredibly privileged to have been at that concert that night. Thank you so much with all of my heart.

I've shared this here so that maybe some other Tool fans will be inspired to experience Tool Concerts in a more internal way; clear of drugs. Or better yet, maybe this would inspire fans to really listen deeply to their music, experience life on high and low levels to the fullest with awareness, and use Tool for some "soul digging".

Here is the secret to the best Tool Concert Experience:

Let go, let the past and future go, drop the mechanism which is your mind, be open, and listen to the music through the heart... Why bother searching up to see what the setlist will be for your next Tool Concert? Just be vulnerable, go to see them and listen to them like you're listening to them for the first time. If you truly let go then the grace from these concerts will pierce deep into your soul...

Last edited by Prem Kala; 02-06-2011 at 09:39 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.06.11 - Big Day Out - Perth

I've been traveling to many places all over the world and just happened to have caught a Tool concert while settling in Western Australia.

The band was missed in various locations world wide during my travels: I missed Tool by 8 hours in Vancouver, I was on vacation with my family in Hawaii just two weeks before the band arrived in Honolulu, and was at a retreat in the country side near Byron Bay, Australia while Tool played in Sydney.

...I was not chasing Tool but just happened to have had some personal business in the same regions where they were playing.

---I'm Canadian, but lived mainly in Australia since March 2010 on a Working Holiday Visa. I fell so deeply in love with the Indian Ocean beaches along Western Australia that it was decided to extend my stay here through a Student Visa starting in FEB at a college an hour north of Perth.---

Anyway, I arrived in Perth just days before the Big Day Out was in town.

Here is a map and timetable of the Big Day Out in Perth to get more of a visual:
http://www.bigdayout.com/documents/f...imes_PERTH.pdf
http://www.bigdayout.com/documents/f...emap_PERTH.pdf

The place was a head bangers dream as there was so much space in the audience to just let your body go nuts to the beats. Many great bands were there which I never heard of and it was awesome to rock out like a maniac up close to the stage while Deftones was pumping.

At around 6:00 or so, I made my way as close as possible to the Blue Stage where Tool was going to play by 8:45. As soon as Iggy and the Stooges finished their set at 7:30 there was enough free space to effortlessly push up slightly off center to the very front by the fence. It really made me wonder how a lean and skinny vegan like myself was able to be so up close to the stage... left alone, at the very edge!!

I was able to lean over enough to get a good view of the entertaining, powerful, and hilarious set Rammstein had on the Orange Stage @ 7:30 (which was just to the left of the Blue Stage). Oh that German singing just blew everyone away and thank goodness for the space in front of myself to just rock forward to their heavy rhythm!!! What a great band to watch before a Tool concert...

Before getting into how explosively outstanding the Tool Concert was, it should be noted that I was on no drugs whatsoever. I never do drugs during Tool as their music is good on its own.

It will take days, weeks, or even months to recover from the bliss of this concert.

Danny, Adam, Justin and Maynard came on stage and just merged together in just the most energetic explosion of sound waves... just recalling this now makes it so difficult to type as that moment was that powerful.

Everything was left behind after that moment.

The past, future, desires, and myself just disappeared into the opening song Jambi. The music penetrated so deep into my heart and was pumped from there to every organ, cell, and nerve of the body. The music possessed the body and swayed to the bands divine sounds... Waves of bliss pumped in and out of my heart... The air was as if it was made of an invisible form of ecstasy; as how my lungs perceived it with every inhale and exhale. This was so intense that during Lateralus I was about to uncontrollably break out into crying, but held it back, regretfully, due to the security in the front with a close eye on me.

---A long time ago I used to do drugs in order to become centered and to find truth to the universe and the self, but searching for truth in this way wasn't getting me anywhere. The song Third Eye inspired me to stop taking drugs to seek for truth and to dive deep into various meditation retreats worldwide instead. After a long time of meditation practice one can become very sensitive and whatever was experienced at this Tool Concert was like no drug I've ever taken before... Lost in bliss, and yet so aware, centered, calm, still, and not bothered.---

After the last song, the band said their good byes and everyone expressed their thanks and love for the set. Danny Carey threw out his drum sticks to the fans. The person to my left grabbed the first drum stick and the person on my right caught the other. Honestly, it really didn't matter that they weren't caught as the love the band poured out through their music out to the crowd was more than enough to take home.

Everyone began wondering away from the stage and I walked over to some steps where I collapsed into a sitting position. An effortless silence overwhelmed me... There was a lot of noise going on around, but inside was silent, still, and unaffected. This gave a clear glimpse of no mind. So crisp, so aware, yet silent. Deep in a like sleep state, yet fully awake. Just indescribable and no words can explain. Centered and Content.

It was the greatest Live Tool concert experience ever and still has its effect.

I'm just so incredibly grateful for Tool and so incredibly privileged to have been at that concert that night. Thank you so much with all of my heart.

I've shared this here so that maybe some other Tool fans will be inspired to experience Tool Concerts in a more internal way; clear of drugs. Or better yet, maybe this would inspire fans to really listen deeply to their music, experience life on high and low levels to the fullest with awareness, and use Tool for some "soul digging".

Here is the secret to the best Tool Concert Experience:

Let go, let the past and future go, drop the mechanism which is your mind, be open, and listen to the music through the heart... Why bother searching up to see what the setlist will be for your next Tool Concert? Just be vulnerable, go to see them and listen to them like you're listening to them for the first time. If you truly let go then the grace from these concerts will pierce deep into your soul...

Last edited by Prem Kala; 02-06-2011 at 09:39 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote