View Single Post
JohnGalt
06-27-2007, 08:01 AM

Weak.

This was my fourth Tool show, and my least favorite. I did not see their show at the Target Center, because you couldn't pay me to see a show at the Target Center. Saw The Cure there in 92, and never, ever went back. Anyway, having seen Tool at the XCel twice before, I can say that yes, the sound did suck. Vocals were mixed way down. Now granted, I had terrible seats. Section 217. I've never been that high at the XCel before. I ventured down to the first level during the last song, and the sound was noticeably better, but I didn't linger there to do an in-depth analysis.

Other than the sound, the performance was....predictably perfect. And perfectly predictable. No surprises, as usual. The absence of Aenema really hurts the set, in my opinion, but I was there for Lateralus, which never disappoints. I have to say, in the end, that I was bored through most of this show. The setlist just isn't what it could be. Honestly, 10,000 Days is my least favorite album to date. Yes, Tool, you're technically proficient in your craft. We know that. 5 to 10-minute instrumental segues are great on the albums - they really set the mood. But when surrounded by drunken fools, you're not going to accomplish that same mood. It's just boring. It was kinda the same at their Orpheum show in 2005, but it was still thrilling, because they were at the Orpheum. At this point, they might as well just send a tape of Maynard along on tour. He really doesn't do anything anymore. He Sings for three minutes or so during every 2nd or 3rd 10-minute song (which was pointless, cuz we couldn't hear the vocals anyway). He plays keyboards nobody can hear. And as usual, he is mostly invisible. Just put Danny up front center, and Adam and Justin on either side. Maynard's silhouette only serves to block one of the video screens.

Wow, reading this over, I'm a little more disappointed than I originally thought. Maybe it's the $115 I paid for my gf and I to see this show, in the worst seats imaginable.

There were some good parts. My most enjoyable moments, in this order, are:
a) Lateralus
b) the drunk guy falling down a few rows above me - he must have rolled down at least 3 rows, over the people who were sitting there. idiot.
c) flood - having missed the pre-lateralus-era tours, this was a treat.

This was my 4th, and probably last, Tool show.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:01 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/06/26 - St. Paul, MN - Xcel Center

Weak.

This was my fourth Tool show, and my least favorite. I did not see their show at the Target Center, because you couldn't pay me to see a show at the Target Center. Saw The Cure there in 92, and never, ever went back. Anyway, having seen Tool at the XCel twice before, I can say that yes, the sound did suck. Vocals were mixed way down. Now granted, I had terrible seats. Section 217. I've never been that high at the XCel before. I ventured down to the first level during the last song, and the sound was noticeably better, but I didn't linger there to do an in-depth analysis.

Other than the sound, the performance was....predictably perfect. And perfectly predictable. No surprises, as usual. The absence of Aenema really hurts the set, in my opinion, but I was there for Lateralus, which never disappoints. I have to say, in the end, that I was bored through most of this show. The setlist just isn't what it could be. Honestly, 10,000 Days is my least favorite album to date. Yes, Tool, you're technically proficient in your craft. We know that. 5 to 10-minute instrumental segues are great on the albums - they really set the mood. But when surrounded by drunken fools, you're not going to accomplish that same mood. It's just boring. It was kinda the same at their Orpheum show in 2005, but it was still thrilling, because they were at the Orpheum. At this point, they might as well just send a tape of Maynard along on tour. He really doesn't do anything anymore. He Sings for three minutes or so during every 2nd or 3rd 10-minute song (which was pointless, cuz we couldn't hear the vocals anyway). He plays keyboards nobody can hear. And as usual, he is mostly invisible. Just put Danny up front center, and Adam and Justin on either side. Maynard's silhouette only serves to block one of the video screens.

Wow, reading this over, I'm a little more disappointed than I originally thought. Maybe it's the $115 I paid for my gf and I to see this show, in the worst seats imaginable.

There were some good parts. My most enjoyable moments, in this order, are:
a) Lateralus
b) the drunk guy falling down a few rows above me - he must have rolled down at least 3 rows, over the people who were sitting there. idiot.
c) flood - having missed the pre-lateralus-era tours, this was a treat.

This was my 4th, and probably last, Tool show.
OFFLINE |