View Single Post
fenningenarius
06-22-2007, 05:42 AM

This is my first post on this board.

I have to say that I was slightly disappointed in the show. I did think it was a great show, but after seeing Tool for the first time in Greenville a few weeks ago, the Bonnaroo set paled in comparison. Perhaps if I had seen the Bonnaroo show first and the Greenville show second I might have felt letdown after the Greenville show, but I really don't think that's true.

The band just didn't seem nearly as into it at Bonnaroo. Maybe that's because in Greenville they were playing to a sold out crowd made up exclusively of Tool fans instead of a bunch of hippies with some Tool fans mixed in. Whatever the reason, they seemed like they were really into putting on a great show for the fans in Greenville while they seemed like they were sort of rushing through the songs in TN.

In Greenville it seemed like there was a segue of noise-type stuff between most of the songs. I wouldn't have thought taking that part of the show away would make a big difference but it did. It seemed like in Greenville they wanted to put on an amazing show, a cohesive set of music more about the entire set than the individual songs, while in TN they were just up there playing this song and then that song until their set was over and they could be done with it and leave the stage.

I had planned to never go back to Bonnaroo (I went in 2003 and 2006), but after seeing Tool in Greenville my girlfriend and I both agreed that we must go see Tool on a huge soundsystem in a crowd that large. Both aspects were somewhat of a letdown at Bonnaroo.

The sound was good, but not great. Not nearly as good as a lot of other acts I've seen on similar large soundsystems. The sound during Jambi was horrible. I guess that's to be expected when the bands don't get to soundcheck, but I couldn't believe how bad it was. There was a horrible echo on the drums, which were turned up much too loud. By the second song they had the sound mostly fixed, but it never got as good as I had hoped it would. I was sitting just to the left of the front of the soundboard.

Another thing I thought would be great about Bonnaroo was the large crowd. It wasn't great. They absolutely sucked. I assumed even the people who weren't fans of Tool would have their minds blown and get very energetic. They mostly just stood there lifeless. In between the songs there was hardly any cheering/yelling/clapping. The crowds at every other set I saw, even in the tents with MUCH smaller crowds, were exponentially louder.

I wasn't bothered by the fact that the setlist was mostly the same as Greenville or that they didn't play for 2.5 hours. I pretty much expected that and it didn't bother me at all. What bothered me was that they just didn't seem to play the songs with the same fire and passion that they had a week earlier. Even still, it was a great show imo, but the Greenville show was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I can't say that about the TN show.

One other thing that was better about the Greenville show was the Lateralus. The set there had such good flow and Lateralus was the climax of the set. And the climax was so strong, so amazing. At Bonnaroo that wasn't the case at all. It was cool to see Morello come out, but the song didn't serve as a climax to the set at all with the much different feel that his performance gave it. His solo seemed like way more of a novelty act than good music. I was really excited when he first walked out but pretty letdown after his solo.

Greenville was an amazing show from start to finish with really good flow and it worked really well the way the set slowed down during wings>10,000 days and then climaxed really hard during Lateralus and Vicarious. In TN it just seemed like Tool was up there playing songs. They were good performances of good songs, but it wasn't nearly as good as what I saw in Greenville. There wasn't good flow. The set as a whole didn't work like it did in Greenville.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:42 AM   #55
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/06/15 - Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo Festival

This is my first post on this board.

I have to say that I was slightly disappointed in the show. I did think it was a great show, but after seeing Tool for the first time in Greenville a few weeks ago, the Bonnaroo set paled in comparison. Perhaps if I had seen the Bonnaroo show first and the Greenville show second I might have felt letdown after the Greenville show, but I really don't think that's true.

The band just didn't seem nearly as into it at Bonnaroo. Maybe that's because in Greenville they were playing to a sold out crowd made up exclusively of Tool fans instead of a bunch of hippies with some Tool fans mixed in. Whatever the reason, they seemed like they were really into putting on a great show for the fans in Greenville while they seemed like they were sort of rushing through the songs in TN.

In Greenville it seemed like there was a segue of noise-type stuff between most of the songs. I wouldn't have thought taking that part of the show away would make a big difference but it did. It seemed like in Greenville they wanted to put on an amazing show, a cohesive set of music more about the entire set than the individual songs, while in TN they were just up there playing this song and then that song until their set was over and they could be done with it and leave the stage.

I had planned to never go back to Bonnaroo (I went in 2003 and 2006), but after seeing Tool in Greenville my girlfriend and I both agreed that we must go see Tool on a huge soundsystem in a crowd that large. Both aspects were somewhat of a letdown at Bonnaroo.

The sound was good, but not great. Not nearly as good as a lot of other acts I've seen on similar large soundsystems. The sound during Jambi was horrible. I guess that's to be expected when the bands don't get to soundcheck, but I couldn't believe how bad it was. There was a horrible echo on the drums, which were turned up much too loud. By the second song they had the sound mostly fixed, but it never got as good as I had hoped it would. I was sitting just to the left of the front of the soundboard.

Another thing I thought would be great about Bonnaroo was the large crowd. It wasn't great. They absolutely sucked. I assumed even the people who weren't fans of Tool would have their minds blown and get very energetic. They mostly just stood there lifeless. In between the songs there was hardly any cheering/yelling/clapping. The crowds at every other set I saw, even in the tents with MUCH smaller crowds, were exponentially louder.

I wasn't bothered by the fact that the setlist was mostly the same as Greenville or that they didn't play for 2.5 hours. I pretty much expected that and it didn't bother me at all. What bothered me was that they just didn't seem to play the songs with the same fire and passion that they had a week earlier. Even still, it was a great show imo, but the Greenville show was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I can't say that about the TN show.

One other thing that was better about the Greenville show was the Lateralus. The set there had such good flow and Lateralus was the climax of the set. And the climax was so strong, so amazing. At Bonnaroo that wasn't the case at all. It was cool to see Morello come out, but the song didn't serve as a climax to the set at all with the much different feel that his performance gave it. His solo seemed like way more of a novelty act than good music. I was really excited when he first walked out but pretty letdown after his solo.

Greenville was an amazing show from start to finish with really good flow and it worked really well the way the set slowed down during wings>10,000 days and then climaxed really hard during Lateralus and Vicarious. In TN it just seemed like Tool was up there playing songs. They were good performances of good songs, but it wasn't nearly as good as what I saw in Greenville. There wasn't good flow. The set as a whole didn't work like it did in Greenville.
OFFLINE |