View Single Post
SterileEyes
10-24-2007, 05:00 PM

Thanks for all the opinions and compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungmamr View Post
very well done. i enjoyed it a lot.

what kind of effects and techniques were you using to record your vocals? i like the tone/effect you got going on here. are you doing any type of mixing/panning?
Part of what makes recording these covers so fun (and challenging) for me is I intentionally keep the production as raw as possible - drums were one take with four mics directly into the P.A. and the guitars were done with a mic on my Marshall into the P.A. There's no post production, computers/pro tools, pre-programmed mix down or anything. No panning on this one...maybe slightly with the beer keg bashing at the end (the "Let Go" chant). The GN'R cover I posted has some vocal panning I think.

I mix as I record (the levels are adjusted and final before I do the takes), any mixing touch ups are done live as I do the final playback from the recorder to the CD burner. I had to memorize where various parts had to be turned up/down/etc. and twist the knobs as it played back. If I missed one little thing I had to start playback over again...took a few tries!

As far as vocal effects, I used some distortion on a few key parts - "Wear the grudge like a crown" (the low voice), the "lifts you up like a child" echo part, and the "let go" chant. There's a chorus on during the first verse and some reverb throughout most of it. The scream at the end is totally raw, took 8 tries to get it recorded well...it hurt and I wouldn't recommend trying it to anybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by setvak View Post
Nice job. Just out of curiosity, have you taken any kind of singing lessons, or did you just basically develop your own style? I'm just asking because I've been doing something similar (recording songs by myself) for a while, just without any vocals, and altogether don't feel too confident about singing.
I own a few books but singing came from years of practice in the car. I've played the other instruments for 12 or 13 years but I never had confidence (or range) in my voice until 2 or 3 years ago. I don't know how I got the range, I never used to be able to hit a high A without my voice cracking, now I'm a tenor. Part of the reason I recorded the covers is because I never really recorded vocals before so I figured it'd be good practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw knee View Post
thought it was pretty good. i think the vocals were the furthest off out of everything. theres an effect on there, sounds like chorus and a little reverb, that is throwing me off. did you try to use an auto tuner on the vocals?
I agree the vocals are the furthest off - there is only one Maynard and I have no clue what kinds of effects he's using, I probably sound more like Don Henley than Maynard. I just sang it like I would at the time I guess.

I would never ever use auto tune! What you might be hearing is I lightly doubled a few parts ("Saturn comes back around", "Give away the stone", etc.)

Auto tune = satan.

Thanks again everybody!

Last edited by SterileEyes; 10-24-2007 at 05:40 PM..
Old 10-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #49
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: My cover of "The Grudge"

Thanks for all the opinions and compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungmamr View Post
very well done. i enjoyed it a lot.

what kind of effects and techniques were you using to record your vocals? i like the tone/effect you got going on here. are you doing any type of mixing/panning?
Part of what makes recording these covers so fun (and challenging) for me is I intentionally keep the production as raw as possible - drums were one take with four mics directly into the P.A. and the guitars were done with a mic on my Marshall into the P.A. There's no post production, computers/pro tools, pre-programmed mix down or anything. No panning on this one...maybe slightly with the beer keg bashing at the end (the "Let Go" chant). The GN'R cover I posted has some vocal panning I think.

I mix as I record (the levels are adjusted and final before I do the takes), any mixing touch ups are done live as I do the final playback from the recorder to the CD burner. I had to memorize where various parts had to be turned up/down/etc. and twist the knobs as it played back. If I missed one little thing I had to start playback over again...took a few tries!

As far as vocal effects, I used some distortion on a few key parts - "Wear the grudge like a crown" (the low voice), the "lifts you up like a child" echo part, and the "let go" chant. There's a chorus on during the first verse and some reverb throughout most of it. The scream at the end is totally raw, took 8 tries to get it recorded well...it hurt and I wouldn't recommend trying it to anybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by setvak View Post
Nice job. Just out of curiosity, have you taken any kind of singing lessons, or did you just basically develop your own style? I'm just asking because I've been doing something similar (recording songs by myself) for a while, just without any vocals, and altogether don't feel too confident about singing.
I own a few books but singing came from years of practice in the car. I've played the other instruments for 12 or 13 years but I never had confidence (or range) in my voice until 2 or 3 years ago. I don't know how I got the range, I never used to be able to hit a high A without my voice cracking, now I'm a tenor. Part of the reason I recorded the covers is because I never really recorded vocals before so I figured it'd be good practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw knee View Post
thought it was pretty good. i think the vocals were the furthest off out of everything. theres an effect on there, sounds like chorus and a little reverb, that is throwing me off. did you try to use an auto tuner on the vocals?
I agree the vocals are the furthest off - there is only one Maynard and I have no clue what kinds of effects he's using, I probably sound more like Don Henley than Maynard. I just sang it like I would at the time I guess.

I would never ever use auto tune! What you might be hearing is I lightly doubled a few parts ("Saturn comes back around", "Give away the stone", etc.)

Auto tune = satan.

Thanks again everybody!

Last edited by SterileEyes; 10-24-2007 at 05:40 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote