Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song

(Intermission)

Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

Well, I had my first Tool concert back in July at Hammersmith, and I guess I would have to admit to myself I was a little bit disappointed. The stage show wasn't big, their performance was a little rusty, and mainly, the whole palava with bags and cameras and all that really put a scratch on the whole affair. I told myself, though, that it was just a small warm up tour, and when I heard they'd be back in the Winter, also told myself that I'd be going. When I saw they were playing at Cardiff, which is quite close to me, I was definately going.

The things I told myself turned out to be true. This was a fantastic, fantastic gig. The performance of all the songs were really energetic and spontaneous, I really felt I was watching a clever, clever band. The performance of Wings For Marie and 10K Days really shows that they are the strongest works on 10K Days - as an Opus, it's Magnus. The laser show during these two songs really made them spectacular to be present at, the light show was clever, sometimes resembling wings, or multiple wings, sometimes resembling a 'W' and an 'M' (if you were dead centre towards the rear, like me) and sometimes resembling sacred geometry.

Lateralus, was massive, massive, MASSIVE. It's probably one of the best performances I've seen. It finished like a finale, and I kind of wish it was.

After Lateralus, some technical hitches came in. Maynard had switched to a gas mask with a built in mic, that clearly had a dodgy connection and cut out alot of the Vicarious words, and a little bit Aenima. Even on Lateralus, when it kicks it for the first time, Adam forgot to switch pickups, and the first hit was a clean pluck, hehehehe. But this actually made the song for me, because, unlike Hammersmith, the whole performance was alot more human, alot more like the 4 guys were jamming, really performing like humans rather than robots, which is the feeling I got at Hammersmith. The electronic segues were perfectly placed, and the pacing of the entire set (with the exception of Vicarious, which in my opinion should have been dropped, or replaced with something like The Grudge [just to make me happy]) was spot on.

But yes, I LOVED getting 46&2 AND Swamp Song. Both of these were played amazingly. I had a feeling they'd change it up again, since they were changing songs every 2 gigs. When 46&2 came in, I was like WOOO, when Swamp Song also came in I was like YEAHHH. I didn't miss The Pot, they didn't play it at Hammersmith either, and I really didn't miss it, standard fare tbh.

A great, great gig. I'm not going to go all emo and say it reduced me to tears, I felt my life was complete, I could have slit my wrists to keep the moment for ever, etc etc, (because nothing will come close to Angel by Massive Attack with the ORIGINAL singer LIVE and outdoors), but this was a great, GREAT, superb, amazing gig.

Last edited by Jimmeny; 12-01-2006 at 03:30 AM..
OFFLINE |