View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 04:08 PM   #102
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/08 - Dallas, TX - McFarlin Auditorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote
In the event I get in and get tickets online from TM, I see one of a few things happening:

A.) first PM gets extras or...
B.) first post to this page gets extras or...
C.) open to other ideas

I know I'm dying to get to see the show. Just have a lot of time on my hands right now.
I dont think we should do any form of first come first serve because that penalizes the people who have unavoidable conflicts on Saturday. If you get extra tickets, come in here and simply post how many. Then we have to distribute them fairly later

My proposal:
On saturday afternoon we will get a tally of everyones extras. People who didnt get tickets will post messages letting us know. If we have enough extras for each person who didnt get any to get at least 1, each person will get 1. If we have enough for 2, each will get 2. And then a lottery for eveything above the level where we dont have enough extras for each person that needs one.

The lottery can work by assiging each person a number between 1 and X depending on the order in which they posted to this thread (solely to make it easy to assign numbers, this has nothing to do with 'seniority'). Then, THREE PEOPLE not in the lottery will use the random number generator at

http://www.random.org/sform.html

to generate three different sequences of random numbers between 1 and X.

These three sequences will be compared, and the middle of the three values will be used to determine who gets the first extra ticket above the level where we cannot distribute evenly. For example, we will put the 3 sequences together and if the first row is:

4 6 2

Then person 4 on the list would get the first extra ticket since it is the middle number. In the case of a tie, the lower number gets it.

Convoluted? Maybe. Unneccessary? Maybe...I am a TA in a computer lab at a university on certain days so I have tons of time to sit around and worry about this crap and type ridiculously long posts in between failed login attempts and people needing help to print files...

IMO, first come first serve would cause all sorts of whining and bickering. I think a lottery based on 3 different random number sequences would work best because it would be impartial and fair no one would be able to argue favoritism and the ones who signed this thread way back in the beginning who cannot be here on Saturday to get the first post in wont get the shaft.

Thanks for the posts guys, If anyone has any concerns about this, go for it. I know there are a few (possible) problems with what I have written and a few points of contention that could probably be discussed from a different point of view. We still have some time to finalize things. It doesnt look like we are getting many new recruits today so maybe this thread will slow down and not swell up into some huge monster.
OFFLINE |