View Single Post
static's Avatar static
08-03-2009, 12:59 PM

First time seeing Tool live, gotta say it lived up to my expectations. Loved the setlist. The only thing that really bothered me was, and maybe its because I was up so close, the vocals were getting really drowned out. I could hardly hear Maynard during most of the set, but thats alright. The instrumentals made up for that. Really enjoyed some of the variations they used during 46&2 and Schism. I though the dual drum solo in Lateralus was cool but completely ruined by the fact that you could hardly hear Frank's drums. The audio leveling was completely fucked up for most of the festival.

MBV is shit and I was right there screaming at them to get off the stage between every song. Bands that can't play anything beyond a single riff over and over again don't deserve to play live. Playing loud and extremely repetitively isn't "SONIC DESTRUCTION AWESOMENESS DUDE" its just fucking annoying. I had some punk ass kid try explaining to me after the show the "technicalities" of shoegaze and how its all about "subtle changes in melody". I basically ignored him and said I don't really care, because it still sounds like shit. All I got from MBV is a growing hate for music elitists trying to be hip and edgy, pretending to enjoy something just for the sake of it being different and secretly begging for the chance to "explain the technicalities" to some "ignorant Tool fan". Go suck a fucking dick.

Other than Tool, pretty much every band that played there was ass. It was still worth 100 dollars, the location was great- even though it was incredibly muddy. I just wish I knew Tool was playing so late, otherwise I would have gotten there much later.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #36
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1555
Re: 08.01.09 - Jersey City, NJ @ All Points West Festival

First time seeing Tool live, gotta say it lived up to my expectations. Loved the setlist. The only thing that really bothered me was, and maybe its because I was up so close, the vocals were getting really drowned out. I could hardly hear Maynard during most of the set, but thats alright. The instrumentals made up for that. Really enjoyed some of the variations they used during 46&2 and Schism. I though the dual drum solo in Lateralus was cool but completely ruined by the fact that you could hardly hear Frank's drums. The audio leveling was completely fucked up for most of the festival.

MBV is shit and I was right there screaming at them to get off the stage between every song. Bands that can't play anything beyond a single riff over and over again don't deserve to play live. Playing loud and extremely repetitively isn't "SONIC DESTRUCTION AWESOMENESS DUDE" its just fucking annoying. I had some punk ass kid try explaining to me after the show the "technicalities" of shoegaze and how its all about "subtle changes in melody". I basically ignored him and said I don't really care, because it still sounds like shit. All I got from MBV is a growing hate for music elitists trying to be hip and edgy, pretending to enjoy something just for the sake of it being different and secretly begging for the chance to "explain the technicalities" to some "ignorant Tool fan". Go suck a fucking dick.

Other than Tool, pretty much every band that played there was ass. It was still worth 100 dollars, the location was great- even though it was incredibly muddy. I just wish I knew Tool was playing so late, otherwise I would have gotten there much later.