View Single Post
Buddie's Avatar Buddie
01-28-2012, 09:44 PM

So...

Really liked the show. Don't have too many bad things to say, but one thing I will say is that I wish it was a little louder. I don't know too much (or actually, anything) about the science of sound, but if it were, say, 115db, I wish it had been closer to 125db-130db. I don't like when I can hear myself singing over the band, it ruins the experience because I can't sing.

I've only seen Tool live in the post-10K Days era and I think a good 7 or so songs were played at every show I've been to. It was nice to see that this wasn't so much of a 10K Days tour. I would like to hear some stuff from Opiate or Undertow, but I feel like those albums are not what the Tool of the post-Aenima era represent, so I'll let go of my wants. It was nice to see a couple new songs. I don't think Hooker with a Penis makes for a good opener. I kind of like an anticipatory build up before the band comes in full swing (I felt the same way about them opening with Jambi a few years back). Stinkfist has been the best so far as an opener, and though I didn't get to see it, due to me not living on the West Coast, I assume that Third Eye was a brilliant opener.

Besides the lack of loudness, I think the band really changes tempo a lot in the middle of songs. Sometimes I can say "This part must be a little rough to play at the same pace as the section before this," and understand, but other times it seemed a little odd.

It was pretty cool to see them switch up some of their songs and add little musical breaks for people who have seen Stinkfist or Schism at 100% of the shows that they play.

Also, I've been reading a lot of the reviews, and I'm not sure if it's just because of where I was sitting, or maybe the venue, but I think the sound was absolutely perfect. I was able to hear each instrument at the level it should be.

Insert appreciation for the visuals here: _______________________________________
(I really don't know how to explain what the visuals can add-on to the music.)

Lastly, one song encore. I'm not angry that we didn't hear The Pot. I just expected more than one track. And Aenema is what, just shy of 7 minutes?

The show was amazing, the sound was amazing, the guys are absolute musical geniuses. But one thing we all need to agree on is that Justin needs to grow his hair back out.

Maynardisms:
-Hello Boston (after HWaP)
-Even at 50 the guy still breaks his drum head. It's because of all that cocaine and booze. (After HWaP)
-So there you go (before Aenema)

......spiral out.

..D.O.N.T...T.H.E.S.E...T.A.L.K.I.N.G...M.O.N.K.E. Y.S...K.N.O.W...T.H.A.T...E.D.E.N...H.A.S...E.N.O. U.G.H...T.O...G.O...A.R.O.U.N.D.?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.28.2012 - Boston, MA @ TD Garden

So...

Really liked the show. Don't have too many bad things to say, but one thing I will say is that I wish it was a little louder. I don't know too much (or actually, anything) about the science of sound, but if it were, say, 115db, I wish it had been closer to 125db-130db. I don't like when I can hear myself singing over the band, it ruins the experience because I can't sing.

I've only seen Tool live in the post-10K Days era and I think a good 7 or so songs were played at every show I've been to. It was nice to see that this wasn't so much of a 10K Days tour. I would like to hear some stuff from Opiate or Undertow, but I feel like those albums are not what the Tool of the post-Aenima era represent, so I'll let go of my wants. It was nice to see a couple new songs. I don't think Hooker with a Penis makes for a good opener. I kind of like an anticipatory build up before the band comes in full swing (I felt the same way about them opening with Jambi a few years back). Stinkfist has been the best so far as an opener, and though I didn't get to see it, due to me not living on the West Coast, I assume that Third Eye was a brilliant opener.

Besides the lack of loudness, I think the band really changes tempo a lot in the middle of songs. Sometimes I can say "This part must be a little rough to play at the same pace as the section before this," and understand, but other times it seemed a little odd.

It was pretty cool to see them switch up some of their songs and add little musical breaks for people who have seen Stinkfist or Schism at 100% of the shows that they play.

Also, I've been reading a lot of the reviews, and I'm not sure if it's just because of where I was sitting, or maybe the venue, but I think the sound was absolutely perfect. I was able to hear each instrument at the level it should be.

Insert appreciation for the visuals here: _______________________________________
(I really don't know how to explain what the visuals can add-on to the music.)

Lastly, one song encore. I'm not angry that we didn't hear The Pot. I just expected more than one track. And Aenema is what, just shy of 7 minutes?

The show was amazing, the sound was amazing, the guys are absolute musical geniuses. But one thing we all need to agree on is that Justin needs to grow his hair back out.

Maynardisms:
-Hello Boston (after HWaP)
-Even at 50 the guy still breaks his drum head. It's because of all that cocaine and booze. (After HWaP)
-So there you go (before Aenema)

......spiral out.

..D.O.N.T...T.H.E.S.E...T.A.L.K.I.N.G...M.O.N.K.E. Y.S...K.N.O.W...T.H.A.T...E.D.E.N...H.A.S...E.N.O. U.G.H...T.O...G.O...A.R.O.U.N.D.?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote