Old 08-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: Influence of Jazz in Lateralus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitt Romney View Post
jazz [jaz]
noun
music originating in New Orleans around the beginning of the 20th century and subsequently developing through various increasingly complex styles, generally marked by intricate, propulsive rhythms, polyphonic ensemble playing, improvisatory, virtuosic solos, melodic freedom, and a harmonic idiom ranging from simple diatonicism through chromaticism to atonality.
a style of dance music, popular especially in the 1920s, arranged for a large band and marked by some of the features of jazz.
dancing or a dance performed to such music, as with violent bodily motions and gestures.
Slang . liveliness; spirit; excitement.
Slang . insincere, exaggerated, or pretentious talk: Don't give me any of that jazz about your great job!
huuh?! are you the real romney? please copy-paste another definition...i know what "jazz" is- i was pointing at its many facets, substyles etc....like: bebop influences in lateralus, bossa nova influences in lateralus, freejazz-influences in lateralus...vote republican! actually there i a blues- or jazz-"influence" in any modern music...but to define those with music theoretical background seems to be an interesting task (especially with the lateralus-album)- good luck!...unfortunately i can say nothing about it unless i know the influences (mostly dannys) and the concept of jamming and getting ideas and then making arrangements- its quite the opposite of composing on paper first and later deconstructing it (like jazz-players do)...but as someone else mentioned: jazz is improvisational and open, tool seem to prefer doing the "same" thing over and over again (like playing the songs in a certain arrangement and not really leaving thoses borders)- maybe because they`re no jazz-musicians :D:D:D

Last edited by dancingflame; 08-06-2012 at 07:43 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote