View Single Post
5POINT56
06-14-2007, 03:56 AM

I've been seeing Tool play live since Opiate. 8 shows total, spanning quite a few years. And though I had a good time seeing them again, it was probably the worst show I have ever seen of there's.....due exclusively to Maynard.

Turning his back to the audience for the entire show was just ridiculous. Get over yourself dude. The rest of the band played an inspired performance and sounded just great. Even Maynard sounded pretty good....but the way he acted on stage was flat out stupid.

I have gotten over the Vegas style production and relegated the personal raw feeling to shows of the distant past. I'm not thrilled about the mega arena setting, but with fame and success, thats just the way things go. No faulting them about that.

Danny as usual was all pro...he tore it up, as did the rest of the band. But I'm a little disappointed in the band that they seem to have chosen this inflexible, predetermined set list that has largely gone unchanged from one corner of the world to the other. Its as though Opiate and Undertow are no longer relivant to them...as though they've outgrown those songs. Certainly the bands choice to do so....but it's just very disappointing.

And if they don't care to play songs from those albums, cool...but why not mix the set list up from night to night a lot more? Going to see a band like Tool and knowing well in advance what songs they're 99% likely to play sucked. Even if they only mix up their newer stuff....no problem...just make some effort to not robotically go through a tour with some stone monument of a set list. The songs were good...dont get me wrong....but between Maynard acting like a spoiled child and the set list handed down from god....it left a lot to be desired.

It was my girlfriends 1st show and she couldn't have been more excited to see them...and I couldn't have been happier to take her...but we both left feeling like we got slightly ripped off.

Its more than just about good sound and good musical talent. Its about giving a shit enough to <gasp> not appear to have disdain for the audience by doing the ENTIRE show with your back to the crowd. We waited a long time to see our favorite band, paid a lot of money for our seats and have been very loyal fans of theres for a very long time. Maynard absolutely let these two fans down in a big way.

For those "Anything Maynard does is for a VERY good reason, stop bitching" crowd...I disagree entirely. He acted like a spoiled child and I lost a lot of respect for him. The rest of the band was very professional, sounded great and actually bothered to stay on stage after the show to thank everyone for coming. Maynard had other plans.

Tool is still just amazing to me, but I left the arena that night thinking to myself "what a shame".

No band gets props for just showing up and playing...its their fuckin job. While the rest of the band really gave the crowd what they hoped for, Maynard detracted from the show in a BIG way. He gets no props from me. He acted like a fool.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:56 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/06/01 - Sunrise, FL - Bank Atlantic Center

I've been seeing Tool play live since Opiate. 8 shows total, spanning quite a few years. And though I had a good time seeing them again, it was probably the worst show I have ever seen of there's.....due exclusively to Maynard.

Turning his back to the audience for the entire show was just ridiculous. Get over yourself dude. The rest of the band played an inspired performance and sounded just great. Even Maynard sounded pretty good....but the way he acted on stage was flat out stupid.

I have gotten over the Vegas style production and relegated the personal raw feeling to shows of the distant past. I'm not thrilled about the mega arena setting, but with fame and success, thats just the way things go. No faulting them about that.

Danny as usual was all pro...he tore it up, as did the rest of the band. But I'm a little disappointed in the band that they seem to have chosen this inflexible, predetermined set list that has largely gone unchanged from one corner of the world to the other. Its as though Opiate and Undertow are no longer relivant to them...as though they've outgrown those songs. Certainly the bands choice to do so....but it's just very disappointing.

And if they don't care to play songs from those albums, cool...but why not mix the set list up from night to night a lot more? Going to see a band like Tool and knowing well in advance what songs they're 99% likely to play sucked. Even if they only mix up their newer stuff....no problem...just make some effort to not robotically go through a tour with some stone monument of a set list. The songs were good...dont get me wrong....but between Maynard acting like a spoiled child and the set list handed down from god....it left a lot to be desired.

It was my girlfriends 1st show and she couldn't have been more excited to see them...and I couldn't have been happier to take her...but we both left feeling like we got slightly ripped off.

Its more than just about good sound and good musical talent. Its about giving a shit enough to <gasp> not appear to have disdain for the audience by doing the ENTIRE show with your back to the crowd. We waited a long time to see our favorite band, paid a lot of money for our seats and have been very loyal fans of theres for a very long time. Maynard absolutely let these two fans down in a big way.

For those "Anything Maynard does is for a VERY good reason, stop bitching" crowd...I disagree entirely. He acted like a spoiled child and I lost a lot of respect for him. The rest of the band was very professional, sounded great and actually bothered to stay on stage after the show to thank everyone for coming. Maynard had other plans.

Tool is still just amazing to me, but I left the arena that night thinking to myself "what a shame".

No band gets props for just showing up and playing...its their fuckin job. While the rest of the band really gave the crowd what they hoped for, Maynard detracted from the show in a BIG way. He gets no props from me. He acted like a fool.
OFFLINE |