View Single Post
kamyar's Avatar kamyar
05-05-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat
I've seen two shows so far on the mini tour, and I know this is a warmup, designed to give the band a chance to practice before hitting the world with a huge tour. BUT, here are some things common to the first 3 shows so far:

Maynards voice cracking during more challenging singing parts (Sober, Schism, etc). I have seen him a dozen times before and never once did i hear his voice crack like that, the only time I hear something like that is when *I* try to sing along.

Maynard notably less active onstage. I remember the first time I saw them, I was mezmerized by how he moved to the music. Very unique. Bending over backwards, swaying, etc. Now he seems much more relaxed and un animated. He is talking more than usual though, maybe to compensate?

Singers don't usually hold up over time, think of other great tenors, many of them have had to call it quits before their 50s because the vocal cords just aren't as loose as they once were.
i'll make up my own mind when i see them in nyc but if what you say is true about maynard then it's kind of sad.

i think he has one of the most amazing voices that i've heard (the plain beauty of it even when he sings in anger).

and i'm just happy that i've had the opportunity to own music made by him and the rest of tool and to have watched him with his different bands the 10 or so times i've seen them.

kamyar.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #53
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8
Re: Tool getting older

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat
I've seen two shows so far on the mini tour, and I know this is a warmup, designed to give the band a chance to practice before hitting the world with a huge tour. BUT, here are some things common to the first 3 shows so far:

Maynards voice cracking during more challenging singing parts (Sober, Schism, etc). I have seen him a dozen times before and never once did i hear his voice crack like that, the only time I hear something like that is when *I* try to sing along.

Maynard notably less active onstage. I remember the first time I saw them, I was mezmerized by how he moved to the music. Very unique. Bending over backwards, swaying, etc. Now he seems much more relaxed and un animated. He is talking more than usual though, maybe to compensate?

Singers don't usually hold up over time, think of other great tenors, many of them have had to call it quits before their 50s because the vocal cords just aren't as loose as they once were.
i'll make up my own mind when i see them in nyc but if what you say is true about maynard then it's kind of sad.

i think he has one of the most amazing voices that i've heard (the plain beauty of it even when he sings in anger).

and i'm just happy that i've had the opportunity to own music made by him and the rest of tool and to have watched him with his different bands the 10 or so times i've seen them.

kamyar.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote