View Single Post
ArizonaBay's Avatar ArizonaBay
09-07-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningOne View Post
The lyrics aren't a problem at all. They can say whatever they want to. I just think they should be careful where they guide vulnerable minds. I totally agree with a lot people who say that at least they are leading somewhere. Most musicians and artists of any kind don't bother.

But Tool singles out a flawed concept (mainstream/commercial christianity, which I agree is ripe for criticism) and says "this sucks, do ANYTHING but this" and *ignorant* minds follow to the extreme. To the occult, whatever.

As an aside, the occult does not necessarily mean Devil worship. I already stated this above. It has a specific meaning, and completely includes astrology as well as the Kabbalah--a form of Jewish mysticism. (Just a little research goes a long way.)

I want to know at what point the Artist assumes responsibility for his choices. I could just as easily ask the question of Marilyn Manson or even a band like Black Label Society. But to me Tool seems sincere to a greater degree.

Here: I'll cut to the point. I think lacing their musical dynamics and cover art and lyrics and website with occult/mystic references along with language that *some* people will mis-translate as anti-God (forget religion, just anti-God) for whatever reasons--simple shock value, increased sales, hype, who cares-- they are damaging *some* people in the very way that they SAY they want to change them--spiritually.

We're all gonna die eventually. If they believe in any type of God, it is my opinion that they may want to be more careful how they transmit their message. For some people it works well, others, not so well. Like I said above, click around this website for a while. You'll see who I'm talking about. I wouldn't want to be responsible for connecting the wrong people with the wrong ideas.

Maybe that sounds too preachy, like I'm judging too many people and too many things. If so, all I can say is that it comes from the best intentions, nothing more.
Yeah but to censor someones art in someway for the sake of a minority to dumb to understand its message in the correct way is just...well... disgusting. Im sorry to say this but as a Christian you will have a narrower view of the world than someone who is an agnostic so it may be hard for you to understand the value of being able to hold other ideas up to the light and examine them for what they are and take from them wisdom if it is there and discard it if there isnt. If someone takes it in the wrong way then its their fault not the artist, dumbing down to appease and subdue imaginary target audiences is something i cant stand. It makes things lack depth and substance like those endless crappy sitcoms on ABC.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:57 AM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11
Re: Tool and the Occult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningOne View Post
The lyrics aren't a problem at all. They can say whatever they want to. I just think they should be careful where they guide vulnerable minds. I totally agree with a lot people who say that at least they are leading somewhere. Most musicians and artists of any kind don't bother.

But Tool singles out a flawed concept (mainstream/commercial christianity, which I agree is ripe for criticism) and says "this sucks, do ANYTHING but this" and *ignorant* minds follow to the extreme. To the occult, whatever.

As an aside, the occult does not necessarily mean Devil worship. I already stated this above. It has a specific meaning, and completely includes astrology as well as the Kabbalah--a form of Jewish mysticism. (Just a little research goes a long way.)

I want to know at what point the Artist assumes responsibility for his choices. I could just as easily ask the question of Marilyn Manson or even a band like Black Label Society. But to me Tool seems sincere to a greater degree.

Here: I'll cut to the point. I think lacing their musical dynamics and cover art and lyrics and website with occult/mystic references along with language that *some* people will mis-translate as anti-God (forget religion, just anti-God) for whatever reasons--simple shock value, increased sales, hype, who cares-- they are damaging *some* people in the very way that they SAY they want to change them--spiritually.

We're all gonna die eventually. If they believe in any type of God, it is my opinion that they may want to be more careful how they transmit their message. For some people it works well, others, not so well. Like I said above, click around this website for a while. You'll see who I'm talking about. I wouldn't want to be responsible for connecting the wrong people with the wrong ideas.

Maybe that sounds too preachy, like I'm judging too many people and too many things. If so, all I can say is that it comes from the best intentions, nothing more.
Yeah but to censor someones art in someway for the sake of a minority to dumb to understand its message in the correct way is just...well... disgusting. Im sorry to say this but as a Christian you will have a narrower view of the world than someone who is an agnostic so it may be hard for you to understand the value of being able to hold other ideas up to the light and examine them for what they are and take from them wisdom if it is there and discard it if there isnt. If someone takes it in the wrong way then its their fault not the artist, dumbing down to appease and subdue imaginary target audiences is something i cant stand. It makes things lack depth and substance like those endless crappy sitcoms on ABC.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote