View Single Post
EulogyCallinMe's Avatar EulogyCallinMe
09-07-2006, 08:34 AM

Ok responsibility is a much debated topic. shiningone I don’t know how old you are but don’t you think it’s a bit silly to say tool should watch what they say? and why? because of the young impressionable youth that may listen to them and jump on the anti-god bandwagon (tool is not anti god btw as far as I can tell Maynard is still looking for solace and a reason to believe in god...) anyway tool is more against the organizations that preach god rather than god himself, although he isn’t exactly thinking god is infallible that’s for sure. The only thing that I see them not liking at all in that respect is scientology. Anyway that’s not the point, what I'm saying is why should tool have to censor what they say? They are a rock band, and if you choose to listen to said rock band that’s your choice, if you choose to believe what they say, there again it’s your choice. I think your biggest fear is that you don’t want others to know about the alternative to Christianity or religion and that’s what tool offers up. The artist assumes all responsibility for their choices and what they say, but they can’t be held responsible for other people’s actions. Tool can’t force anyone to do anything, they are not in a place of real power, they aren’t politicians who tell us what to do or think. They are a band, a fairly popular one but certainly not one who is being played constantly to the point where they can’t be ignored, so the fact that people may question their faith as a result of a song is their own deal. The biggest thing that tool offers is a critical thinking frame of mind. What do you believe? Why do you believe this? Why do you continue to believe this? What are you assuming? Are there other alternatives?
To me shining you have your faith and have not thought critically about it yourself and doing so may frighten you but that sort of thing frightens everyone. You have accepted Christianity and Christ for everything that’s been told to you. Why? Do you believe this because your parents raised you to do so? Take a step back and look around, you may find your ground is not the rock you thought it to be. Ever see the matrix? Neo lives in a world that he took as reality only to find that isn’t really the case, only a facade. Ever seen memento? Because of his "condition" he has tricked himself into living within a world that isn’t exactly truthful. I understand these are movies but they are also metaphors and damn good ones if you ask me. To quote timothy leary; "think for yourself and question authority" this includes religion, politicians, rock bands etc…
"Am I a pretty girl?"
Old 09-07-2006, 08:34 AM   #34
Super Goof or Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen? You decide

Bincount™: 1563
Re: Tool and the Occult

Ok responsibility is a much debated topic. shiningone I don’t know how old you are but don’t you think it’s a bit silly to say tool should watch what they say? and why? because of the young impressionable youth that may listen to them and jump on the anti-god bandwagon (tool is not anti god btw as far as I can tell Maynard is still looking for solace and a reason to believe in god...) anyway tool is more against the organizations that preach god rather than god himself, although he isn’t exactly thinking god is infallible that’s for sure. The only thing that I see them not liking at all in that respect is scientology. Anyway that’s not the point, what I'm saying is why should tool have to censor what they say? They are a rock band, and if you choose to listen to said rock band that’s your choice, if you choose to believe what they say, there again it’s your choice. I think your biggest fear is that you don’t want others to know about the alternative to Christianity or religion and that’s what tool offers up. The artist assumes all responsibility for their choices and what they say, but they can’t be held responsible for other people’s actions. Tool can’t force anyone to do anything, they are not in a place of real power, they aren’t politicians who tell us what to do or think. They are a band, a fairly popular one but certainly not one who is being played constantly to the point where they can’t be ignored, so the fact that people may question their faith as a result of a song is their own deal. The biggest thing that tool offers is a critical thinking frame of mind. What do you believe? Why do you believe this? Why do you continue to believe this? What are you assuming? Are there other alternatives?
To me shining you have your faith and have not thought critically about it yourself and doing so may frighten you but that sort of thing frightens everyone. You have accepted Christianity and Christ for everything that’s been told to you. Why? Do you believe this because your parents raised you to do so? Take a step back and look around, you may find your ground is not the rock you thought it to be. Ever see the matrix? Neo lives in a world that he took as reality only to find that isn’t really the case, only a facade. Ever seen memento? Because of his "condition" he has tricked himself into living within a world that isn’t exactly truthful. I understand these are movies but they are also metaphors and damn good ones if you ask me. To quote timothy leary; "think for yourself and question authority" this includes religion, politicians, rock bands etc…
"Am I a pretty girl?"
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote