View Single Post
EulogyCallinMe's Avatar EulogyCallinMe
09-05-2006, 07:51 AM

dude, they are a band whose lyrics need to be about something. tool chose religion and spiritualism. apc was more personal stuff to maynard relating closer to christianity, the beatles chose mainly love and certain drugs, rage against the machine chose politics, plink floyd chose alienation and isolation...blah blah blah. whether you take a bands lyrics seriously or not is your own matter. if someone hears tools opiate and decides they hate god, so be it, if someone listens to dethklok’s underwater album for fish and kill themselves so be it or marilyn manson or whatever. if someone chooses to take what some band is singing about straight to heart and uses that as their mantra for life then they are probably more than a little naive and need to start making decisions on their own. tool never said they were teachers, spiritual leaders or wise men who know the answer, nor should they shoulder the responsibility of such a position...they are a rock band! they are 4 dudes with instruments and vocals who sit or stand in a room and pool together ideas and thats all... no different than my band (probably except for the talent level in every respect) maynard once said that he'd like to express upon us some of the wisdom he's gained over the years but that doesnt mean people can decipher it correctly and it doesnt mean anything should be taken as gospel. Nor doesn’t it mean anything he really has to say holds any water anyway. For some people they can relate and I feel as if im one of those, probably as well as most here, but that doesn’t mean I live my life by what Maynard sings about, not even close. personally i dont know how anyone can take the bible as gospel either or anything for that matter, they are just stories written by secondary sources and translated and retranslated numerous times how can something not be distorted by doing so? ever heard of the game telephone? i agree with your whole "think for yourself and question all authority" deal but dont be afraid to point the finger at yourself my friend.
in the words of John Lennon and The Beatles, whose lyrics I happen to take for the blue print of my life..."Nothing is real, and it's nothing to get hung about..."
"Am I a pretty girl?"

Last edited by EulogyCallinMe; 09-05-2006 at 08:00 AM..
Old 09-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #23
Super Goof or Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen? You decide

Bincount™: 1563
Re: Tool and the Occult

dude, they are a band whose lyrics need to be about something. tool chose religion and spiritualism. apc was more personal stuff to maynard relating closer to christianity, the beatles chose mainly love and certain drugs, rage against the machine chose politics, plink floyd chose alienation and isolation...blah blah blah. whether you take a bands lyrics seriously or not is your own matter. if someone hears tools opiate and decides they hate god, so be it, if someone listens to dethklok’s underwater album for fish and kill themselves so be it or marilyn manson or whatever. if someone chooses to take what some band is singing about straight to heart and uses that as their mantra for life then they are probably more than a little naive and need to start making decisions on their own. tool never said they were teachers, spiritual leaders or wise men who know the answer, nor should they shoulder the responsibility of such a position...they are a rock band! they are 4 dudes with instruments and vocals who sit or stand in a room and pool together ideas and thats all... no different than my band (probably except for the talent level in every respect) maynard once said that he'd like to express upon us some of the wisdom he's gained over the years but that doesnt mean people can decipher it correctly and it doesnt mean anything should be taken as gospel. Nor doesn’t it mean anything he really has to say holds any water anyway. For some people they can relate and I feel as if im one of those, probably as well as most here, but that doesn’t mean I live my life by what Maynard sings about, not even close. personally i dont know how anyone can take the bible as gospel either or anything for that matter, they are just stories written by secondary sources and translated and retranslated numerous times how can something not be distorted by doing so? ever heard of the game telephone? i agree with your whole "think for yourself and question all authority" deal but dont be afraid to point the finger at yourself my friend.
in the words of John Lennon and The Beatles, whose lyrics I happen to take for the blue print of my life..."Nothing is real, and it's nothing to get hung about..."
"Am I a pretty girl?"

Last edited by EulogyCallinMe; 09-05-2006 at 08:00 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote