View Single Post
ShiningOne
09-04-2006, 02:53 PM

Maybe I should have phrased some of that differently. In the past Tool (and by extension APC, MJK being the common thread) have seemingly singled out and attacked Christianity, along with politics, etc. Lately, with Lateralus and 10,000 Days they've subtly suggested alternative belief systems, not committing to any one, but layering all kinds of things into their music. Some of it is very scientific. Some of it is very mystic.

So throw Christianity out the door for a moment. Can anyone say that the Occult (and I don't mean Devil worship) really offers realistic solutions to man's problems? Aleister Crowley was, and I didn't know the guy--do your own research--seemingly a dirtbag of a man. He was racist, chauvinist, a drug addict and sexual deviant. I've read that his last words were something along the lines of "I'm an unhappy man."

So this opens a can of worms as to the responsibilty of an artist. I just can't see how exposing younger or more vulnerable, impressionable fans to this kind of influence can make the world a better place. And I'm not talking about blaming Ozzy for Suicide Solution. Tool seems to genuinely want to make the world a different place. I want to say *better* place, but if this is the direction they want to point their fans, I'm not so sure.

Again--everyone can make their own decision. That's a wonderful thing. But a child cannot always make a mature decision. Bottom line. I mean seriously, if Danny Carey wants to find the entrance to "Hell," whatever that may be, what does he think he's gonna do? Send a postcard? Take a motorized tour? If he channels energies and draws upon mystic forces and summons a "daemon," whatever that is, are there no consequences? Isn't he tapping into a darker, malevolent force? I don't see qualities like peace and tolerance resulting from such an act. So if they incorporate this stuff into their music, what good can come from listening to it?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I don't think there are solutions, at least not easy ones. But I do think Tool itself is one of the authorities that should be "questioned". They'd probably agree. And if anyone thinks that no one puts any real value into this music, you need look no farther than some of topics and posts on this website to see just how much real religious value people infuse into this band's music. Maybe you and I don't, but click around.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Tool and the Occult

Maybe I should have phrased some of that differently. In the past Tool (and by extension APC, MJK being the common thread) have seemingly singled out and attacked Christianity, along with politics, etc. Lately, with Lateralus and 10,000 Days they've subtly suggested alternative belief systems, not committing to any one, but layering all kinds of things into their music. Some of it is very scientific. Some of it is very mystic.

So throw Christianity out the door for a moment. Can anyone say that the Occult (and I don't mean Devil worship) really offers realistic solutions to man's problems? Aleister Crowley was, and I didn't know the guy--do your own research--seemingly a dirtbag of a man. He was racist, chauvinist, a drug addict and sexual deviant. I've read that his last words were something along the lines of "I'm an unhappy man."

So this opens a can of worms as to the responsibilty of an artist. I just can't see how exposing younger or more vulnerable, impressionable fans to this kind of influence can make the world a better place. And I'm not talking about blaming Ozzy for Suicide Solution. Tool seems to genuinely want to make the world a different place. I want to say *better* place, but if this is the direction they want to point their fans, I'm not so sure.

Again--everyone can make their own decision. That's a wonderful thing. But a child cannot always make a mature decision. Bottom line. I mean seriously, if Danny Carey wants to find the entrance to "Hell," whatever that may be, what does he think he's gonna do? Send a postcard? Take a motorized tour? If he channels energies and draws upon mystic forces and summons a "daemon," whatever that is, are there no consequences? Isn't he tapping into a darker, malevolent force? I don't see qualities like peace and tolerance resulting from such an act. So if they incorporate this stuff into their music, what good can come from listening to it?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I don't think there are solutions, at least not easy ones. But I do think Tool itself is one of the authorities that should be "questioned". They'd probably agree. And if anyone thinks that no one puts any real value into this music, you need look no farther than some of topics and posts on this website to see just how much real religious value people infuse into this band's music. Maybe you and I don't, but click around.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote