Thread: New Tool Album
View Single Post
Underalus's Avatar Underalus
07-25-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjalf View Post
See if you knew anything you'd know that the music was written without Maynard, then given to Maynard and he sang and created the melodies after the music was already made. You don't know what you're talking about.

Actually play guitar and you'll see whats ripping off and whats not. The main ripoff would be the vicarious riff which is the exact riff in H. but played differently. Rosetta Stoned solo is played NOTHING like any other of their solos and the riffs are also much different.
I knew it was written without Maynard and I can play probably 70% of the Tool catalog on guitar. STRIKE TWO!

You're right about the Vicarious/H ripoff, indeed. The part in Rosetta Stoned where Maynard sings "hey-e-ey" over the hammer-ons going from low D to A to D reminds me of the hammer-on part in H. before "without the skin...". You disagree? That's alright, it's my opinion.

About Maynard's absence during the writing, I assumed this was always the case from Undertow through to 10KD, but perhaps I'm wrong in that assumption. If I'm correct though, something else is to blame for the discordance in their recent song structures.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #528
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67
Re: New Tool Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjalf View Post
See if you knew anything you'd know that the music was written without Maynard, then given to Maynard and he sang and created the melodies after the music was already made. You don't know what you're talking about.

Actually play guitar and you'll see whats ripping off and whats not. The main ripoff would be the vicarious riff which is the exact riff in H. but played differently. Rosetta Stoned solo is played NOTHING like any other of their solos and the riffs are also much different.
I knew it was written without Maynard and I can play probably 70% of the Tool catalog on guitar. STRIKE TWO!

You're right about the Vicarious/H ripoff, indeed. The part in Rosetta Stoned where Maynard sings "hey-e-ey" over the hammer-ons going from low D to A to D reminds me of the hammer-on part in H. before "without the skin...". You disagree? That's alright, it's my opinion.

About Maynard's absence during the writing, I assumed this was always the case from Undertow through to 10KD, but perhaps I'm wrong in that assumption. If I'm correct though, something else is to blame for the discordance in their recent song structures.