Thread: New Tool Album
View Single Post
Ganjalf's Avatar Ganjalf
07-25-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underalus View Post
thanks for the killer defense fellow Canadians. he just loves them fuckin' hammer-ons, eh?

it's not about that though, in all honesty, it's about him making some iconic riffs. Schism is almost entirely hammer-ons at 3-5 or 10-12 but it's still a distinct, recognizable riff that changes. Aenema is a bunch of hemiola'd hammer-ons but ditto for being recognizable.

what I'm saying is the riffs in 10kd aren't very notable. most of that album was just chugging, and even Jambi (don't get me wrong, I think it's a great song but...) was just chugging on the open D for a really sizable percentage of the whole song. The Pot's main riff is like 2 notes, palm muted, and even most of RS is a third eye/H rip off with an AWFUL solo meandering in the middle. The awful meandering solo plagues most of 10KD; it's in Jambi and Wings 2 as well.

Wings 1/2, Intension (despite it just being a sequel in feel and tone to disposition) and Right in Two are the most unique to me but their problems are:

wings 1/2 - guitar doesn't fit vocals. all the different movements are mashed together angularly. most of the song feels like a setup for maynard to sing over but the whole thing lacks cohesion between instruments and vocals

Intension - aside from feeling a bit borrowed, nothing else is wrong with it. probably the best song on the album

Right in Two - forgetting the godawful lyrics for now, the song doesn't get interesting until after the tabla part, which leaves a 9 minute song with about 3 minutes of worthwhile musicmanship.

there. now everyone pick that apart or just agree with it wholesale so I can feel better about myself.
See if you knew anything you'd know that the music was written without Maynard, then given to Maynard and he sang and created the melodies after the music was already made. You don't know what you're talking about.

Actually play guitar and you'll see whats ripping off and whats not. The main ripoff would be the vicarious riff which is the exact riff in H. but played differently. Rosetta Stoned solo is played NOTHING like any other of their solos and the riffs are also much different.

Last edited by Ganjalf; 07-25-2011 at 09:34 AM..
Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #524
The Lube

Bincount™: 5355
Re: New Tool Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underalus View Post
thanks for the killer defense fellow Canadians. he just loves them fuckin' hammer-ons, eh?

it's not about that though, in all honesty, it's about him making some iconic riffs. Schism is almost entirely hammer-ons at 3-5 or 10-12 but it's still a distinct, recognizable riff that changes. Aenema is a bunch of hemiola'd hammer-ons but ditto for being recognizable.

what I'm saying is the riffs in 10kd aren't very notable. most of that album was just chugging, and even Jambi (don't get me wrong, I think it's a great song but...) was just chugging on the open D for a really sizable percentage of the whole song. The Pot's main riff is like 2 notes, palm muted, and even most of RS is a third eye/H rip off with an AWFUL solo meandering in the middle. The awful meandering solo plagues most of 10KD; it's in Jambi and Wings 2 as well.

Wings 1/2, Intension (despite it just being a sequel in feel and tone to disposition) and Right in Two are the most unique to me but their problems are:

wings 1/2 - guitar doesn't fit vocals. all the different movements are mashed together angularly. most of the song feels like a setup for maynard to sing over but the whole thing lacks cohesion between instruments and vocals

Intension - aside from feeling a bit borrowed, nothing else is wrong with it. probably the best song on the album

Right in Two - forgetting the godawful lyrics for now, the song doesn't get interesting until after the tabla part, which leaves a 9 minute song with about 3 minutes of worthwhile musicmanship.

there. now everyone pick that apart or just agree with it wholesale so I can feel better about myself.
See if you knew anything you'd know that the music was written without Maynard, then given to Maynard and he sang and created the melodies after the music was already made. You don't know what you're talking about.

Actually play guitar and you'll see whats ripping off and whats not. The main ripoff would be the vicarious riff which is the exact riff in H. but played differently. Rosetta Stoned solo is played NOTHING like any other of their solos and the riffs are also much different.

Last edited by Ganjalf; 07-25-2011 at 09:34 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote