View Single Post
Gore-D
02-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Ninth time seeing the band, going back to '91.

I can remember when Tool was The Maynard Show, as he was always the focal point and main contributor to any live show through the Aenema tour.

This show seemed almost a full change from the old days, as Maynard has become almost insignificant to the show. But the band and the music have never been better. I can honestly say that this was musically the best I've ever seen the band. Justin and Danny in particular seem to be gelling and playing off each other like 2 guys who have been doing this for 20 years should.

I was looking forward to Ticks, so was a little disappointed. Sober seemed played out, but the newbies in the crowd dug it. Going in, I was least looking forward to Pushit and Intension, but these were honestly two of the high points of the set. The groove they set during each of these songs was extraordinary. Power and beauty exemplified.

Some posters in previous reviews have slagged on Maynard for seeming like he didn't want to be part of the Tool anymore. It's hard to tell, as he's had the same onstage demeanor for the last decade now. But I did find myself thinking during and after the show that Maynard could be replaced, and none of the power of Tool would be lost. He just doesn't seem integral to the band anymore. I never thought I would think something like that.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.03.2012 - Hampton, VA @ Hampton Coliseum

Ninth time seeing the band, going back to '91.

I can remember when Tool was The Maynard Show, as he was always the focal point and main contributor to any live show through the Aenema tour.

This show seemed almost a full change from the old days, as Maynard has become almost insignificant to the show. But the band and the music have never been better. I can honestly say that this was musically the best I've ever seen the band. Justin and Danny in particular seem to be gelling and playing off each other like 2 guys who have been doing this for 20 years should.

I was looking forward to Ticks, so was a little disappointed. Sober seemed played out, but the newbies in the crowd dug it. Going in, I was least looking forward to Pushit and Intension, but these were honestly two of the high points of the set. The groove they set during each of these songs was extraordinary. Power and beauty exemplified.

Some posters in previous reviews have slagged on Maynard for seeming like he didn't want to be part of the Tool anymore. It's hard to tell, as he's had the same onstage demeanor for the last decade now. But I did find myself thinking during and after the show that Maynard could be replaced, and none of the power of Tool would be lost. He just doesn't seem integral to the band anymore. I never thought I would think something like that.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote