View Single Post
WookieeBlaylock's Avatar WookieeBlaylock
12-03-2007, 12:02 PM

I had just seen (and treated some others to) the show in Saskatoon, which very well could have been my favourite all-time livemusicshow experience. It seemed that there was a general great positive, respectful vibe there. All of my friends from Alberta that I brought to Saskatoon constantly poked fun at the place, but you know what? We sure didn't have to deal with a single ounce of bullshit whilst there (no scrutiny, no fascism, a seemingly complete lack of drunken douchebags). The event staff there was pretty laid back, and well anyway, onto the Victoria show review:

It's shame to have one's excitement partially tarnished by what I think is quite simply fear. The lineup getting in was long and slow moving. It's funny how the wind and rain seemed to really pick up the closer it was to showtime. I'm not sure when exactly they took to the stage, but I'm guessing about 9:10 or shortly thereafter. Got there about 8:20, and still missed the beginning of the farking show! I guess having the venue right next to the cop shop isn't going to help with things. Cops were walking up and down the lineup, pretty much staring people down. There were a couple of cattle/doormen who were unnecessarily rude... after being told to go the "VIP Door" (which is pretty lame anyway) because the lineup was shorter, this guy had to yell at us, "you can't use this door!!! Go around". So we ended up circling about 270 degrees of this place before getting in. Did anybody notice water fountains inside? I didn't. Apparently they closed down the beer stands fairly quickly too - no biggie, I just wanted some water, and the beer vendor/kiosk things were the only places selling them, so that was pretty shitily run. Anyway, the pad downs were pretty thorough (and thus, slow going). A buddy made a comment that they was probably going to be cops at every row on the floor with tasers. Granted I'm making a bigger deal of this than it actually was, but it just sucks almost being treated like a criminal. Whereas in Sask. I felt like the people there simply wanted everyone to have a good time. I guess bad shit seldom goes down there. Whereas at this "Slave On Foods" place, it possibly was as busy as it's ever been.

So, missed most of Jambi, which sounded amazing. This idiot thought I was in his seat (just like the story above), though I had known for a solid month where I was gonna be seated (having contemplated spending the $800 on cree-bay to a touter/broker/scaper). This seemed to anger him as he removed his shirt and for the remainder of the show wanted to kick my ass. Luckily a far less douchey guy stood between myself and this guy which cut down on the awkwardness somewhat. That's another thing kinda shitty about that show, was somehow many folks were able to gather up tickets when others couldn't (phone lines were busy, 'selectyourtickets' website was too congested, etc)... while these others were able to charge a killing for the tickets they got through their connections. I realize this happens everywhere a lot, but the ratio was far shittier for this show than say the Saskatoon show, where only a few sets of tickets were sold on ebay [to clarify - sold by these third parties/people with 'connections'], and not dozens/hundreds (this was a considerably smaller venue as well). Anyone reading this might gather that I'm using my experience with the crowd and what not to paint and unfair picture of the band's performance - not quite the case. However, myself and a buddy sensed that a lot of people in that building didn't really seem to care to be there all that much. Regardless, it was a damn decent show. Technically speaking the band played flawlessly, as far as I could tell. The sound system was somewhat distorting. It was louder than Saskatoon, but more garbled. Anyhow, the band didn't seem to be as in to it, which is totally understandable, you can't always be feelin' it to the same capacity or level. I'm pretty much splitting hair here, it WAS a great show, don't get me wrong. It's just that, despite being the exact same setlist as the "S'toon" show, it was definitely a different show. The jam-off between the TransAm drummer and Carey was alright. I give that dude props for playing alongside such an astounding powerhouse (let alone it being during pretty much the climax of the show). I felt that Danny clearly outshined him, but he is pretty much in a different ballgame, or universe, or something, in my opinion. Anyway, even during that soloing, I felt things never really peaked to the exciting intensity that it did at the second last show. Justin and Maynard seemed to grove to their music less. It makes sense that Maynard might not being into it so much, being sick and all. Hope he gets over that soon - for his sake, and for the rest of you who are seeing them soon). I liked (as usual) a lot of the sounds Adam created. That guy rocks the shit in this sleep. Actually, Justin was REAALLY into Flood. It was sweet when he started to lay down the starting notes. The sound he has - and what he does with it - is so badass. Danny is always so amazing. To be able to come out, night after night, and play with such an intensely-focused energy is really remarkable. I will say that he didn't kick quite as much ass that night.... not that I'm complaining. It's just, if you only saw this show and no other, please know that this guy can kick even more ass.

Thankfully people weren't lifting up chairs and throwing shit and otherwise. People were a bit talkative, but ah well. If people in Kelowna, and in other towns, are inspired to become filled with blind anger due to their music... I'm sorry but (even though it IS subjective) they're idiots and aren't getting it. I'm just so glad they came out all this way, did a few additional Canadian dates. Hopefully they come back. End rant.

Last edited by WookieeBlaylock; 12-03-2007 at 12:21 PM..
Old 12-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1
Re: Dec 01 Victoria Save On Foods Memorial Center

I had just seen (and treated some others to) the show in Saskatoon, which very well could have been my favourite all-time livemusicshow experience. It seemed that there was a general great positive, respectful vibe there. All of my friends from Alberta that I brought to Saskatoon constantly poked fun at the place, but you know what? We sure didn't have to deal with a single ounce of bullshit whilst there (no scrutiny, no fascism, a seemingly complete lack of drunken douchebags). The event staff there was pretty laid back, and well anyway, onto the Victoria show review:

It's shame to have one's excitement partially tarnished by what I think is quite simply fear. The lineup getting in was long and slow moving. It's funny how the wind and rain seemed to really pick up the closer it was to showtime. I'm not sure when exactly they took to the stage, but I'm guessing about 9:10 or shortly thereafter. Got there about 8:20, and still missed the beginning of the farking show! I guess having the venue right next to the cop shop isn't going to help with things. Cops were walking up and down the lineup, pretty much staring people down. There were a couple of cattle/doormen who were unnecessarily rude... after being told to go the "VIP Door" (which is pretty lame anyway) because the lineup was shorter, this guy had to yell at us, "you can't use this door!!! Go around". So we ended up circling about 270 degrees of this place before getting in. Did anybody notice water fountains inside? I didn't. Apparently they closed down the beer stands fairly quickly too - no biggie, I just wanted some water, and the beer vendor/kiosk things were the only places selling them, so that was pretty shitily run. Anyway, the pad downs were pretty thorough (and thus, slow going). A buddy made a comment that they was probably going to be cops at every row on the floor with tasers. Granted I'm making a bigger deal of this than it actually was, but it just sucks almost being treated like a criminal. Whereas in Sask. I felt like the people there simply wanted everyone to have a good time. I guess bad shit seldom goes down there. Whereas at this "Slave On Foods" place, it possibly was as busy as it's ever been.

So, missed most of Jambi, which sounded amazing. This idiot thought I was in his seat (just like the story above), though I had known for a solid month where I was gonna be seated (having contemplated spending the $800 on cree-bay to a touter/broker/scaper). This seemed to anger him as he removed his shirt and for the remainder of the show wanted to kick my ass. Luckily a far less douchey guy stood between myself and this guy which cut down on the awkwardness somewhat. That's another thing kinda shitty about that show, was somehow many folks were able to gather up tickets when others couldn't (phone lines were busy, 'selectyourtickets' website was too congested, etc)... while these others were able to charge a killing for the tickets they got through their connections. I realize this happens everywhere a lot, but the ratio was far shittier for this show than say the Saskatoon show, where only a few sets of tickets were sold on ebay [to clarify - sold by these third parties/people with 'connections'], and not dozens/hundreds (this was a considerably smaller venue as well). Anyone reading this might gather that I'm using my experience with the crowd and what not to paint and unfair picture of the band's performance - not quite the case. However, myself and a buddy sensed that a lot of people in that building didn't really seem to care to be there all that much. Regardless, it was a damn decent show. Technically speaking the band played flawlessly, as far as I could tell. The sound system was somewhat distorting. It was louder than Saskatoon, but more garbled. Anyhow, the band didn't seem to be as in to it, which is totally understandable, you can't always be feelin' it to the same capacity or level. I'm pretty much splitting hair here, it WAS a great show, don't get me wrong. It's just that, despite being the exact same setlist as the "S'toon" show, it was definitely a different show. The jam-off between the TransAm drummer and Carey was alright. I give that dude props for playing alongside such an astounding powerhouse (let alone it being during pretty much the climax of the show). I felt that Danny clearly outshined him, but he is pretty much in a different ballgame, or universe, or something, in my opinion. Anyway, even during that soloing, I felt things never really peaked to the exciting intensity that it did at the second last show. Justin and Maynard seemed to grove to their music less. It makes sense that Maynard might not being into it so much, being sick and all. Hope he gets over that soon - for his sake, and for the rest of you who are seeing them soon). I liked (as usual) a lot of the sounds Adam created. That guy rocks the shit in this sleep. Actually, Justin was REAALLY into Flood. It was sweet when he started to lay down the starting notes. The sound he has - and what he does with it - is so badass. Danny is always so amazing. To be able to come out, night after night, and play with such an intensely-focused energy is really remarkable. I will say that he didn't kick quite as much ass that night.... not that I'm complaining. It's just, if you only saw this show and no other, please know that this guy can kick even more ass.

Thankfully people weren't lifting up chairs and throwing shit and otherwise. People were a bit talkative, but ah well. If people in Kelowna, and in other towns, are inspired to become filled with blind anger due to their music... I'm sorry but (even though it IS subjective) they're idiots and aren't getting it. I'm just so glad they came out all this way, did a few additional Canadian dates. Hopefully they come back. End rant.

Last edited by WookieeBlaylock; 12-03-2007 at 12:21 PM..
OFFLINE |