View Single Post
Fundamental_Difference
07-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-tx View Post
10th show, 2nd of the tour.

Although the sound was better than the previous night at San Antonio (at least from where I was sitting), I would have to say that it was a little bit of a downer to get the exact same setlist. Seems that if you're playing two nights back to back within driving distance, you could at least throw something in there. As someone else mentioned, how about a replacement for Wings I/II? This setlist is pretty much the boilerplate setlist without the epic tour songs (Wings I/II, Disposition/Reflection/Triad). Not that the boilerplate setlist isn't enjoyable, but it's like all appetizer and no main course. Rant over.

Tool continues to pick good opening acts (and if you're skipping Tweak Bird, you're missing out).

I thought Maynard was in better vocal form in Dallas than in San Antonio. SA's Rosetta Stoned was...bizarre. Or at least that's how it sounded to me. Hopefully some recordings will surface and confirm that I actually heard what I thought I heard.

As Fundamental_Difference pointed out, there were more musical flubs tonight (and last night) than I remember hearing in any of the 10k shows I attended. Nothing egregious, but noticeable.

I guess my overall feeling after these two shows is...Well, it was still a Tool concert, which is pretty goddam great. But maybe I won't see multiple nights on the same tour again.

Oh, who am I kidding. I'm sure I will.
I'm right there with you.
Regardless of the Maynard's vocal issues and some the musical mishaps, I will be at the next Tool show that comes to a Texas city. No doubt about it.
An off night with Tool is superior to a brilliant night for 99% of the bands out there.
And seeing as I also love the music itself, I could live with seeing the other three members without Maynard (though it would be strange).
Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.25.09 - Dallas, TX @ Nokia Theatre (Grand Prairie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-tx View Post
10th show, 2nd of the tour.

Although the sound was better than the previous night at San Antonio (at least from where I was sitting), I would have to say that it was a little bit of a downer to get the exact same setlist. Seems that if you're playing two nights back to back within driving distance, you could at least throw something in there. As someone else mentioned, how about a replacement for Wings I/II? This setlist is pretty much the boilerplate setlist without the epic tour songs (Wings I/II, Disposition/Reflection/Triad). Not that the boilerplate setlist isn't enjoyable, but it's like all appetizer and no main course. Rant over.

Tool continues to pick good opening acts (and if you're skipping Tweak Bird, you're missing out).

I thought Maynard was in better vocal form in Dallas than in San Antonio. SA's Rosetta Stoned was...bizarre. Or at least that's how it sounded to me. Hopefully some recordings will surface and confirm that I actually heard what I thought I heard.

As Fundamental_Difference pointed out, there were more musical flubs tonight (and last night) than I remember hearing in any of the 10k shows I attended. Nothing egregious, but noticeable.

I guess my overall feeling after these two shows is...Well, it was still a Tool concert, which is pretty goddam great. But maybe I won't see multiple nights on the same tour again.

Oh, who am I kidding. I'm sure I will.
I'm right there with you.
Regardless of the Maynard's vocal issues and some the musical mishaps, I will be at the next Tool show that comes to a Texas city. No doubt about it.
An off night with Tool is superior to a brilliant night for 99% of the bands out there.
And seeing as I also love the music itself, I could live with seeing the other three members without Maynard (though it would be strange).
OFFLINE |