Schism (O.T.R.M)
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Pushit
---break---
Wings For Marie / 10,000 Days
Lateralus (O.T.R.M) w/ Melt-Banana drummer
Vicarious

Great concert.

Got to the venue around 6:45 PM, right when the doors opened up. Found a spot to the right (Justin's side), with a perfect angled view of the stage. Stood there for about an hour waiting on the rest of my friends to arrive. Melt-Banana came on stage around 8 PM. They played for 30 minutes. Interesting group. All the members looked very tiny on stage (both because they were all pretty short + TOOL's massive set-up dwarfed theirs).

TOOL took the stage a little bit after 9. The played a very tight set and put on a well-performed concert.

Maynard said a couple things after Jambi:
"Richmond, Virginia" + "(something else) Virginia"

Extended or "On The Road Mix" Stinkfist followed. 'nard added in the scream.

46 & 2 was next. I now know why they play this song every show. It's definitely Danny's time to shine. They even have a special visual on the screen right behind Danny during his solo. Awesome stuff.

In between songs it seemed like Adam, Justin, and Maynard each had their moment to create different segues into the next song. Adam and Maynard have their keyboard / synth. And, Justin has his pedals.

I really enjoy the extended version of Schism. Keep this in there, fellas! The extra fast breakdown is very heavy (seemed even heavier now than when I heard it on the previous tour). This song is also when the visuals on the giant screen in the back first started to pop-up.

Next we have Lost Keys (yea, it really was album version length, minus the doctor/nurse exchange).... and onto Rosetta Stoned. The three UFO-looking / light rig set joined us for this song. Honestly, I don't think it's possible to pull the beginning of this song off live. It's just kind of a mess with the distortion and machine gun style talking of Maynard. Maybe it's what they're going for, though? It's kind of a mind fuck song. The last half is just incredible, though.

Then...PUSHIT! Lovely. Really is. TOOL teased for like 3 or so minutes with swelling music. I thought at first they would start playing the notes to Intension...but once Maynard took his place at the mic, and Adam turned around from his synth and put his guitar into position, I knew Pushit was next. Maynard definitely looked very emotional while he sang this. It was pretty touching. What a song, though. Nothing else really needs to be said.

After Pushit, Maynard went backstage, while Adam and Justin and some roadies fooled around with the equipment. While they were doing this, those UFO lights turned up towards the audience. They were very neon looking, and the middle one had some geometric patterns. A friend of mine commented it was almost like in Independence Day, when the alien ships were hovering above the crowd in NYC. "Look, it's so pretty." We were waiting for the impending strike.

Finally, Adam, Justin, and Dan sat on the stage as they normally do. Cue lighters. Maynard eventually joined the crew.

Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days followed once the guys got back into position. This led to smoke + lasers + the unveiling of more secrets from the big screen in the back. Another cool effect was with those UFO lights again. Each one was shining separately on Adam, Justin, and Danny -- almost like gods shining down from above. I was really impressed with the crowd the entire night, but especially during this song. We were all really into it. There are always going to be the few crazy idiots (like the guy in front of us going nuts...and I mean NUTS during most of the show + the drunk dude in the seats behind us who *really* wanted to hear Sober), but for the most part I was happy. This is a very emotional song, and I think hits home for a lot of Virginians. It was definitely a highlight.

Next was Lateralus (On The Road Mix) + Melt-Banana drummer (don't know his name). Maynard said something while this guy was walking out to his small set-up in front of Danny...either "come on down" or "take your spot." The next 5 minutes of the song consisted of him and Dan going back and forth. Danny even cracked a smile toward the end...although it looked like he was smiling at something Justin did with his bass effects. Very cool jam moment, though.

Time to end the show...

Right before Vicarious, Maynard actually commented how great we were as a crowd by not using our flash cameras, etc. He also added in something else about going through dark moments or finding a dark space for the songs, and we were able to help them get there.... I thought maybe he was in some way alluding to the Virginia Tech tragedy? I couldn't really understand completely, though. I could tell he was very sincere in thanking us, and said they would definitely be back soon. It was pretty heartfelt. I haven't heard him say anything like that at a show since the Tabernacle back in 2001, when he told the crowd he "loved us." Pretty cool stuff.

PS: Maynard turned the mic toward the crowd during the last stanza of this song. We sang the "Vicariously I....." He took over at the "Much better..."

Hugs, thumbs up, waves, show over.

TOOL are just incredible to watch live and in person. Much like their albums, their shows are such a build-up of energy. The visuals and lights (and lasers) slowly fall into place throughout, as do the songs. Each are placed for a specific purpose. I've read Maynard comparing TOOL shows to operas before, and while some people might go...dude...operas?..... it does kind of make sense after seeing the guys on tour. There's a beginning, middle, and an end. It's very synchronistic. And, it's just very special. I feel bad for kids who don't get anything out of them.

See everyone in Atlantic City on Saturday!!!

1998: 8/1
2001: 5/15 10/6
2002: 8/9 11/3
2006: 5/17 9/30
2007: 6/7 6/9 6/15
2009: 7/30
2012: 2/2

Last edited by Novus_; 06-08-2007 at 06:31 AM..
Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: 2007/06/07 - Richmond, VA - Richmond Coliseum

Jambi
Stinkfist (O.T.R.M)
46 & 2
Schism (O.T.R.M)
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Pushit
---break---
Wings For Marie / 10,000 Days
Lateralus (O.T.R.M) w/ Melt-Banana drummer
Vicarious

Great concert.

Got to the venue around 6:45 PM, right when the doors opened up. Found a spot to the right (Justin's side), with a perfect angled view of the stage. Stood there for about an hour waiting on the rest of my friends to arrive. Melt-Banana came on stage around 8 PM. They played for 30 minutes. Interesting group. All the members looked very tiny on stage (both because they were all pretty short + TOOL's massive set-up dwarfed theirs).

TOOL took the stage a little bit after 9. The played a very tight set and put on a well-performed concert.

Maynard said a couple things after Jambi:
"Richmond, Virginia" + "(something else) Virginia"

Extended or "On The Road Mix" Stinkfist followed. 'nard added in the scream.

46 & 2 was next. I now know why they play this song every show. It's definitely Danny's time to shine. They even have a special visual on the screen right behind Danny during his solo. Awesome stuff.

In between songs it seemed like Adam, Justin, and Maynard each had their moment to create different segues into the next song. Adam and Maynard have their keyboard / synth. And, Justin has his pedals.

I really enjoy the extended version of Schism. Keep this in there, fellas! The extra fast breakdown is very heavy (seemed even heavier now than when I heard it on the previous tour). This song is also when the visuals on the giant screen in the back first started to pop-up.

Next we have Lost Keys (yea, it really was album version length, minus the doctor/nurse exchange).... and onto Rosetta Stoned. The three UFO-looking / light rig set joined us for this song. Honestly, I don't think it's possible to pull the beginning of this song off live. It's just kind of a mess with the distortion and machine gun style talking of Maynard. Maybe it's what they're going for, though? It's kind of a mind fuck song. The last half is just incredible, though.

Then...PUSHIT! Lovely. Really is. TOOL teased for like 3 or so minutes with swelling music. I thought at first they would start playing the notes to Intension...but once Maynard took his place at the mic, and Adam turned around from his synth and put his guitar into position, I knew Pushit was next. Maynard definitely looked very emotional while he sang this. It was pretty touching. What a song, though. Nothing else really needs to be said.

After Pushit, Maynard went backstage, while Adam and Justin and some roadies fooled around with the equipment. While they were doing this, those UFO lights turned up towards the audience. They were very neon looking, and the middle one had some geometric patterns. A friend of mine commented it was almost like in Independence Day, when the alien ships were hovering above the crowd in NYC. "Look, it's so pretty." We were waiting for the impending strike.

Finally, Adam, Justin, and Dan sat on the stage as they normally do. Cue lighters. Maynard eventually joined the crew.

Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days followed once the guys got back into position. This led to smoke + lasers + the unveiling of more secrets from the big screen in the back. Another cool effect was with those UFO lights again. Each one was shining separately on Adam, Justin, and Danny -- almost like gods shining down from above. I was really impressed with the crowd the entire night, but especially during this song. We were all really into it. There are always going to be the few crazy idiots (like the guy in front of us going nuts...and I mean NUTS during most of the show + the drunk dude in the seats behind us who *really* wanted to hear Sober), but for the most part I was happy. This is a very emotional song, and I think hits home for a lot of Virginians. It was definitely a highlight.

Next was Lateralus (On The Road Mix) + Melt-Banana drummer (don't know his name). Maynard said something while this guy was walking out to his small set-up in front of Danny...either "come on down" or "take your spot." The next 5 minutes of the song consisted of him and Dan going back and forth. Danny even cracked a smile toward the end...although it looked like he was smiling at something Justin did with his bass effects. Very cool jam moment, though.

Time to end the show...

Right before Vicarious, Maynard actually commented how great we were as a crowd by not using our flash cameras, etc. He also added in something else about going through dark moments or finding a dark space for the songs, and we were able to help them get there.... I thought maybe he was in some way alluding to the Virginia Tech tragedy? I couldn't really understand completely, though. I could tell he was very sincere in thanking us, and said they would definitely be back soon. It was pretty heartfelt. I haven't heard him say anything like that at a show since the Tabernacle back in 2001, when he told the crowd he "loved us." Pretty cool stuff.

PS: Maynard turned the mic toward the crowd during the last stanza of this song. We sang the "Vicariously I....." He took over at the "Much better..."

Hugs, thumbs up, waves, show over.

TOOL are just incredible to watch live and in person. Much like their albums, their shows are such a build-up of energy. The visuals and lights (and lasers) slowly fall into place throughout, as do the songs. Each are placed for a specific purpose. I've read Maynard comparing TOOL shows to operas before, and while some people might go...dude...operas?..... it does kind of make sense after seeing the guys on tour. There's a beginning, middle, and an end. It's very synchronistic. And, it's just very special. I feel bad for kids who don't get anything out of them.

See everyone in Atlantic City on Saturday!!!

1998: 8/1
2001: 5/15 10/6
2002: 8/9 11/3
2006: 5/17 9/30
2007: 6/7 6/9 6/15
2009: 7/30
2012: 2/2

Last edited by Novus_; 06-08-2007 at 06:31 AM..
OFFLINE |