View Single Post
P-Toes's Avatar P-Toes
09-28-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sui_city View Post
Kiedis does not use SM57s. His most common mic for recording has been the SM7B.

Almost any mic can be over-driven by pushing it hard in the performance. However, this is unlikely to be done for an extended period of time. What is more likely done is an over-driving of the preamp, i.e. the input gain on the pre is set very high, with the output turned down so that it does not overload the recorder.

The SM57 also has a bump in the mid-range, a bit honky sometimes. That characteristic can help with driving the distortion in the pre because of the mic's emphasis being directly in the area of the human voice.
Jim Scott, who produced Californication, said in an interview that Kiedis always used an SM57 for his vocal. So that's where I got that from. But it doesn't really matter to me either way.

I agree with you about getting distortion by overdriving the preamp. I was just trying to point out that because a 57 can handle a very hot signal it could handle the blaring and distortion of a loud megaphone if that's how they chose to do it.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 10,000 Days Recording Techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by sui_city View Post
Kiedis does not use SM57s. His most common mic for recording has been the SM7B.

Almost any mic can be over-driven by pushing it hard in the performance. However, this is unlikely to be done for an extended period of time. What is more likely done is an over-driving of the preamp, i.e. the input gain on the pre is set very high, with the output turned down so that it does not overload the recorder.

The SM57 also has a bump in the mid-range, a bit honky sometimes. That characteristic can help with driving the distortion in the pre because of the mic's emphasis being directly in the area of the human voice.
Jim Scott, who produced Californication, said in an interview that Kiedis always used an SM57 for his vocal. So that's where I got that from. But it doesn't really matter to me either way.

I agree with you about getting distortion by overdriving the preamp. I was just trying to point out that because a 57 can handle a very hot signal it could handle the blaring and distortion of a loud megaphone if that's how they chose to do it.