View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #42
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135
Re: Meaning of the song

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretforyourfigure462 View Post
Wow that really makes a lot of sense. I think because this song is "metaphor" that's why it can be taken in a lot of different ways. The drug addiction, trying to find someone, etc. The problem is...each of us fellow Tool fans continue to overanalyze everything said. And it prevents us from ever really understanding the song.
I think Tool wants us to take this song and all their songs in a way that applies to our life. So interpretations of a song will vary.
I completely agree. My thoughts were always that it symbolized the desensitization of society in general (think Vicarious). Always needing more whether it be physical sensation, drug enhanced and/or visual stimulation until your tolerance builds to the point where what used to work isn't enough and you need more and more but at the same time you eventually get to the point where you've simply outdone yourself. It's a sad realization the the simple things that should matter the most are now just faded memory. It's a tough and at times shameful reality but it's pure human nature.