View Single Post
K7_Leetha's Avatar K7_Leetha
06-24-2010, 11:07 AM

Ok here's my in depth review of the show. I'm a massive Tool fan. I listen to them everday. I play their songs on drums and guitar everyday (I try). So for me getting to hear several of my fave songs of all time on the same show is going to instantly make the show top notch. I drove about 100 miles at the last minute to go to this show, but it was so worth it.

This was my third Tool show after seeing them twice on the 2007 10k Days tour. I was on the floor for the first time this show, and the sound definitely hits you in the guts more.

Woven Hand was interesting, but after about 2 songs I was like ok lets get this over with. Their drums sounded really good, but the singer was a bit annoying.

After almost a 40 minute lull, The lights go down at about 9:15 and we hear the Timothy Leary intro from Third Eye. I got goosebumps. Third Eye is my favorite song of all time, not just Tool song. The visuals were amazing, I don't know how they did it but at the top of the stage in the middle there was this like swirl of light that I swear looked magical. I liked the new vocal effect on the prying open my third eye lines and the extended break near the end was amazing. Great opener.

Then they immediately bust off into Jambi, which is a great song to pick up the pace. Not much to say other than it was played perfect. The new visuals were way more intense than the previous tours.

Ions isn't really a song so we'll just call it a cool soundscape. ;)

Stinkfist got a huge reaction being the "radio song". I would of rather had Jimmy or H or something, but understand why they would play it. Great performance, new visuals, moving screens. Funny when the crowd keeps singing on the extended part.

Vicarious fucking rocked. I really like that song. They lit the stage up like crazy for this song. Lazers and lights and everything just spinning and dancing. I just stood there looking up with my mouth open. Like tripping when I'm not tripping, ya know? Very tight performance.

Eon Blue Apocalypse we'll call it another soundscape, - but cool to hear these little bits from older ablums.

The Patient. Another of my fave songs. Very somber and moody. Nice dark florescent lighting. Little longer intro by Adam I think. Just awesome they added this to the set. I never thought I'd get to see them do it live.

Then the time machine bit by Maynard, which he kind of stumbled through, but it was funny. Red Undertow logo comes up on screens and they kick right off into Intolerance. Which is yet ANOTHER of my favorite songs. Very cool retro visuals. I think it was this song where they had this cool effect on the screens that was like water turning into smoke back into water. So cool. They did this little extended breakeown I'd never heard before and it was so fucking groovy. A high light of the show this song.

Schism - again the crowd was super loud for this one being another radio song. Would of rather had the Grudge or Cold & Ugly instead, but hey you can't have everything. Same extended version with the drum breakdown as the 2007 tour. New visuals.

46 & 2 always a highlight to see Danny shred on this one. The crowd loved his solo and you could tell he was feeling the energy and playing with some intense power. I loved the huge sacred geometry symbol behind him. Looked so cool. This song will always be a mainstay on live Tool shows and it should be. The Chet Zarr "endless eye" thing is so cool on the new LED screens.

A long soundscape with crazy visuals happened next, I thought I heard bits of Triad and maybe even Merkaba in there. It was definitely new, cuz I'd never heard the composition before.

Lateralus was next, and I was kind of like oh no, because I knew the show would be over soon. Again a slightly longer intro. Danny kept doing the 4's louder and louder at the beginning and you could feel everyone tense up and they got closer and closer to kicking in. Like Vicarious everything lit up and dances around for this song. Lazers everywhere. I think it was this song, but not sure where they had the lazers come down and project like this false "light floor" directly above the floor crowd. It literally looked like you could reach up and touch it. So cool. Again this will always be a mainstay on live shows and it deserves it. They did the little drum solo break down like the 07 tour, but with no guest drummer trading off with Danny. Which was fine because Danny was doing shit that well, you're just not supposed to be able to do. Funny when Danny was soloing Maynard and Justin both walked right up to him both with a beverage in hand and just watched him like they were watching TV at home or something. lol At the end of the song, briefly the lights came on and I was like - what no Aenima?! immediately the lights shut back off again and I was like ahhhh relief.

Aenima is yet another favorite of mine since 1998. Awesome to see live. The crowd was screaming all the lyrics. The moving screens were going nutz. Water effects on screen. Pretty much the album version is what they played. Very tight no mistakes. A fantastic set ender.

The lights come up, band embraces. They start throwing stuff to the crowd. Maynard taking cell phone pics of the band and the crowd. Maynard off first, then Adam, with Danny and Justin staying out a bit longer. Danny got the biggest ovation which was so deserved he was just on fire this night. Band looked thrilled with the crowd response especially Danny.

Then it was over, back to reality - ugh. But Overall the show was about as good as a show can get in my opinion. Some really amazing additions to the setlist with some tried and true mainstays. Very best of Tool vibe. 10/10 from me.

Random oberservations:

-Maynard was a bit low in the mix. As people have stated. Other than that the sound was on perfect. Especially the drums.
-I didn't even notice Justin's technical difficulties so can't comment on that.
-Two lines I loved from Maynard were "For the next 2 hours, whatever is going on out there doesn't matter in here" and at the very end "Its all going to be okay".
-Security wasn't that bad. They let people snap pics, just not hold it there long for video. Actually the staff at the Ford Center was pretty nice.

In closing I'll just say I can't wait to see them again. I'm a Tool fan for life. Hopefully its soon and hopefully soon we get a new album. Tool is greatest band of all time and I'm thrilled to have seen them do my all time favorite song "Third Eye" as well as many others.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/4226/062310224900.jpg

Last edited by K7_Leetha; 06-24-2010 at 11:09 AM..
Old 06-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #25
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 06.23.2010 - Oklahoma City, OK @ Ford Arena

Ok here's my in depth review of the show. I'm a massive Tool fan. I listen to them everday. I play their songs on drums and guitar everyday (I try). So for me getting to hear several of my fave songs of all time on the same show is going to instantly make the show top notch. I drove about 100 miles at the last minute to go to this show, but it was so worth it.

This was my third Tool show after seeing them twice on the 2007 10k Days tour. I was on the floor for the first time this show, and the sound definitely hits you in the guts more.

Woven Hand was interesting, but after about 2 songs I was like ok lets get this over with. Their drums sounded really good, but the singer was a bit annoying.

After almost a 40 minute lull, The lights go down at about 9:15 and we hear the Timothy Leary intro from Third Eye. I got goosebumps. Third Eye is my favorite song of all time, not just Tool song. The visuals were amazing, I don't know how they did it but at the top of the stage in the middle there was this like swirl of light that I swear looked magical. I liked the new vocal effect on the prying open my third eye lines and the extended break near the end was amazing. Great opener.

Then they immediately bust off into Jambi, which is a great song to pick up the pace. Not much to say other than it was played perfect. The new visuals were way more intense than the previous tours.

Ions isn't really a song so we'll just call it a cool soundscape. ;)

Stinkfist got a huge reaction being the "radio song". I would of rather had Jimmy or H or something, but understand why they would play it. Great performance, new visuals, moving screens. Funny when the crowd keeps singing on the extended part.

Vicarious fucking rocked. I really like that song. They lit the stage up like crazy for this song. Lazers and lights and everything just spinning and dancing. I just stood there looking up with my mouth open. Like tripping when I'm not tripping, ya know? Very tight performance.

Eon Blue Apocalypse we'll call it another soundscape, - but cool to hear these little bits from older ablums.

The Patient. Another of my fave songs. Very somber and moody. Nice dark florescent lighting. Little longer intro by Adam I think. Just awesome they added this to the set. I never thought I'd get to see them do it live.

Then the time machine bit by Maynard, which he kind of stumbled through, but it was funny. Red Undertow logo comes up on screens and they kick right off into Intolerance. Which is yet ANOTHER of my favorite songs. Very cool retro visuals. I think it was this song where they had this cool effect on the screens that was like water turning into smoke back into water. So cool. They did this little extended breakeown I'd never heard before and it was so fucking groovy. A high light of the show this song.

Schism - again the crowd was super loud for this one being another radio song. Would of rather had the Grudge or Cold & Ugly instead, but hey you can't have everything. Same extended version with the drum breakdown as the 2007 tour. New visuals.

46 & 2 always a highlight to see Danny shred on this one. The crowd loved his solo and you could tell he was feeling the energy and playing with some intense power. I loved the huge sacred geometry symbol behind him. Looked so cool. This song will always be a mainstay on live Tool shows and it should be. The Chet Zarr "endless eye" thing is so cool on the new LED screens.

A long soundscape with crazy visuals happened next, I thought I heard bits of Triad and maybe even Merkaba in there. It was definitely new, cuz I'd never heard the composition before.

Lateralus was next, and I was kind of like oh no, because I knew the show would be over soon. Again a slightly longer intro. Danny kept doing the 4's louder and louder at the beginning and you could feel everyone tense up and they got closer and closer to kicking in. Like Vicarious everything lit up and dances around for this song. Lazers everywhere. I think it was this song, but not sure where they had the lazers come down and project like this false "light floor" directly above the floor crowd. It literally looked like you could reach up and touch it. So cool. Again this will always be a mainstay on live shows and it deserves it. They did the little drum solo break down like the 07 tour, but with no guest drummer trading off with Danny. Which was fine because Danny was doing shit that well, you're just not supposed to be able to do. Funny when Danny was soloing Maynard and Justin both walked right up to him both with a beverage in hand and just watched him like they were watching TV at home or something. lol At the end of the song, briefly the lights came on and I was like - what no Aenima?! immediately the lights shut back off again and I was like ahhhh relief.

Aenima is yet another favorite of mine since 1998. Awesome to see live. The crowd was screaming all the lyrics. The moving screens were going nutz. Water effects on screen. Pretty much the album version is what they played. Very tight no mistakes. A fantastic set ender.

The lights come up, band embraces. They start throwing stuff to the crowd. Maynard taking cell phone pics of the band and the crowd. Maynard off first, then Adam, with Danny and Justin staying out a bit longer. Danny got the biggest ovation which was so deserved he was just on fire this night. Band looked thrilled with the crowd response especially Danny.

Then it was over, back to reality - ugh. But Overall the show was about as good as a show can get in my opinion. Some really amazing additions to the setlist with some tried and true mainstays. Very best of Tool vibe. 10/10 from me.

Random oberservations:

-Maynard was a bit low in the mix. As people have stated. Other than that the sound was on perfect. Especially the drums.
-I didn't even notice Justin's technical difficulties so can't comment on that.
-Two lines I loved from Maynard were "For the next 2 hours, whatever is going on out there doesn't matter in here" and at the very end "Its all going to be okay".
-Security wasn't that bad. They let people snap pics, just not hold it there long for video. Actually the staff at the Ford Center was pretty nice.

In closing I'll just say I can't wait to see them again. I'm a Tool fan for life. Hopefully its soon and hopefully soon we get a new album. Tool is greatest band of all time and I'm thrilled to have seen them do my all time favorite song "Third Eye" as well as many others.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/4226/062310224900.jpg

Last edited by K7_Leetha; 06-24-2010 at 11:09 AM..
OFFLINE |