View Single Post
skillet
06-24-2010, 12:05 AM

Sound was better tonight than Cedar Park/Austin, though as already pointed out, Maynard was still getting lost in the mix (he was also clipping badly at the start, but they at least fixed that quickly). I thought it was great that they basically cut the Ford Center in half; last time I saw them there, they were all the way towards one end and even being on the floor that time (admittedly towards the rear), it felt like I was far away; with this setup, there really wasn't a bad seat in the house. I hope people realize how much revenue they probably lost by doing that and give them some respect for making sure it was a more intimate-than-normal show (on top of the fact they pulled out all the stops for the visuals with extra screens and pew pew laser beams).

I was down on the floor in Austin but this time up higher (and not drunk, heh), so I was able to really experience the excellent visuals. Could see Justin's pedal board malfunction clearly, he was pretty pissed; kept picking up one end of it and then slamming it down, moving to the other end, slamming it, until one of the techs came up and took care of it for him (which was great timing as he had just sat his bass aside and was going after the board with 2 hands instead of 1, so it was about to get hilarious, err I mean ugly, heh).

'Intolerance' alone was worth the price of admission. Sweet Jesus in a smoking birch bark canoe with a lobster bib, was that ever amazing. I also liked how they worked in snippets of other 'not played live in ages' songs, like 'Triad' (I forget which songs [I just drove 3 hours to get home, so I'm kinda brain dead], but there were 2 of them where they were clearly playing bits of 'Triad', one of them was for a good 20-30 seconds worth, long enough for me to begin thinking [read: wishing] they were going to do the whole song; unfortunately, they didn't).

Great show, and by all accounts so far, this is going to go down as one of their best tours.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 06.23.2010 - Oklahoma City, OK @ Ford Arena

Sound was better tonight than Cedar Park/Austin, though as already pointed out, Maynard was still getting lost in the mix (he was also clipping badly at the start, but they at least fixed that quickly). I thought it was great that they basically cut the Ford Center in half; last time I saw them there, they were all the way towards one end and even being on the floor that time (admittedly towards the rear), it felt like I was far away; with this setup, there really wasn't a bad seat in the house. I hope people realize how much revenue they probably lost by doing that and give them some respect for making sure it was a more intimate-than-normal show (on top of the fact they pulled out all the stops for the visuals with extra screens and pew pew laser beams).

I was down on the floor in Austin but this time up higher (and not drunk, heh), so I was able to really experience the excellent visuals. Could see Justin's pedal board malfunction clearly, he was pretty pissed; kept picking up one end of it and then slamming it down, moving to the other end, slamming it, until one of the techs came up and took care of it for him (which was great timing as he had just sat his bass aside and was going after the board with 2 hands instead of 1, so it was about to get hilarious, err I mean ugly, heh).

'Intolerance' alone was worth the price of admission. Sweet Jesus in a smoking birch bark canoe with a lobster bib, was that ever amazing. I also liked how they worked in snippets of other 'not played live in ages' songs, like 'Triad' (I forget which songs [I just drove 3 hours to get home, so I'm kinda brain dead], but there were 2 of them where they were clearly playing bits of 'Triad', one of them was for a good 20-30 seconds worth, long enough for me to begin thinking [read: wishing] they were going to do the whole song; unfortunately, they didn't).

Great show, and by all accounts so far, this is going to go down as one of their best tours.
OFFLINE |