Thread: Try this.
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2002, 01:03 PM   #9
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
Re: Lat

Quote:
Originally posted by Clarity
. I believe that if that's what someone takes from the song, that is wonderful, if you can find happiness in a forced way of thinking.

One more :) the "vulnerability" (which I fail to see...I will try harder, for it is my weakness) that you believe the speaker to have. Does that describe God? I would much sooner equate God to a rapist than describe him as vulnerable....that negates what the Bible is built on...the infallibility of God.

You insist on calling this a "forced" way of thinking.
I definitely don't think it's "forced."
Urgent? Yes
Forced? No

"Crawl Away" was written with more of a "rapist" mentality, musically and lyrically. Hear the anger and resentment in that song? The music also has an edge that flows and coincides with the lyrics...
The music, lyrics, emotion in 4 degrees all agree, too. But it's not the feel of a demanding rapist's mentality, like it is, (or could be) in "crawl away."

"What you want and what you need don't mean a fuck to me."
Those lyrics, the music.. and the tone / emotion in Maynard's voice, support this sort of "rapist" mentality. All of the variables agree. (words, tone, emotion, music)

That is a similar mentality you say "he" had when he wrote 4 degrees?? Yet, the music, tone and emotion in his voice for 4 degrees is TOTALLY different. (I feel the words are too... but I suppose that's debatable- but the other variables are not in question)

As for the "vulnerbality" in the singer's voice in 4 degrees. We have to remember that although the lyrics were inspired by God, it is Maynard, the human being... that's singing the actual song. So yes, I do think there's some vulnerabilty in MAYNARD's voice... and just pure honest emoton.
(So I really wasn't suggesting "God" was vulnerable... although I understand why you had that conclusion. I described it poorly)

Back to the "forced" way of thinking...

The words "free yourself from yourself" isn't "forced." It also does not have any sort of negative connotation attached to it.
"Freeing yourself" is something that has to be done by his own self... and how can "freeing yourself" be perceived as anything but a GOOD thing? (in any situation!)
The lyrics aren't "Let Me free yourself from yourself."

"Let's go digging." Is God suggesting/pleading... not being overwhelmingly demanding and apathetic toward "Maynard."
After all... The contraction "Let's" is "LET US." He repeatedly says the words "let me" or "let us" in the song... suggesting that there needs to be cooperation on both sides in order for this to work. Cooperation is the antithesis of rape.

"You won't do what you'd like to do... lay back and LET me show you another way... "

same thing here...God is pleading for Maynard's "permission" so He can show him another way. (another way for Maynard to perceive life and God)

Let's assume it is "God" speaking to Maynard in the song... which we've already established-
I say it's a positive plea.. advice... to Maynard.
You're saying it's demanding, lustful, sort of a "rapist's" mentality.
If that's your perspective, then you're saying Maynard would LIKE to be "raped" by God... since he "won't do what he'd LIKE TO DO."
I doubt Maynard would LIKE to be raped by God or any thing.

The only way "raped" could make sense in my opinion is if it were God coming into Maynard's heart, mind, soul... and "raping" all of the negativity from his existence.
"Kill WHAT YOU WANT me to."

how about the line...
"Just too short to push it away." Under your perspective it's basically God saying... 'Cmon Maynard, life's too short to not wanna be emotionally raped."

"Kill what you want me to" is another line that suggests that it's voluntary. He says "I'll kill What YOU WANT me to."
He doesn't say.... "I'll kill WHAT I WANT to."

"This brings us closer than dying and cancer and crying."
So according to you, this is God saying that this "rape" will bring them closer than dying and cancer and crying???
How does that make sense in your theme? I didn't understand that in your last post.

In my theme... It's God explaining that if Maynard accepted Him into his heart, mind and soul ALL of the time... then they'd be a lot "closer" than when Maynard (or whoever) might feel compelled to pray. (If someone has cancer, or someone's crying, or dying... these are all times when you might feel compelled to pray out of necessity if you had a questionable/part-time/convenient relationship with God)
That line makes perfect sense in "my" perception of the song's meaning.

Under your rapist perspective the "dying, cancer and crying" are all just arbitrary words.

Listen to the contrast between Crawl Away and 4 degrees.
(assuming you'd agree about Crawl Away being written in sort of a "rapist's" theme.)

The variables of music, lyrics, emotion and tone all agree under my perception of the song's meaning. I don't think they do at all under your "rapist" approach.

Listen to the first time he says "let me show you another waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy." I hear sadness and compassion. Not hate and lust.

(and for anyone else who's reading this who might be confused... No, I'm not saying Maynard is an actual physical "rapist" by any stretch of your imagination.)

anyhow... there's my rebuttal-

Last edited by ThreeDeviations; 12-16-2002 at 01:19 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote