Thread: Try this.
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2002, 09:26 PM   #6
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Lat

To be perfectly honest, I like your interpretation much better than mine. Much more positive. I believe that if that's what someone takes from the song, that is wonderful, if you can find happiness in a forced way of thinking.

I am certainly not interpreting the song on a purely physical level, in fact not at all. We clearly both disregard the veil of physicality that cloaks the lyrics. Mentally, however, I believe the song clearly has the intrusiveness of rape.

If God gave free will, then giving mandates and forcing his way on someone directly contradicts HIS (The Christian God is verifiably a man) "gift" of free will.

If God gave free will, he certainly would not follow up this gift by (and I stress this word) --ordering-- "Take it all. Take it all in. All the way. All the way in. Let it go." Those are clearly orders that deny the recipient Free Will. Not suggestions, not options, mandates.

That is rape. My point may be illustrated better if the rapist thinks the victim enjoys it. They won't take resistance as an answer, and continue to have their (God's) way. If God thinks opening up is better, but the victim (as one being forced can only be described) resists, too bad.

You'll notice how the recipient of the lyrics (if indeed Maynard) not ONCE responds as enjoying the process. The only lines that indicate the recipient's actions/views are "Let it Go, Don't Pull it out" Nothing but resistance.

Also giving the lyrics a negative fervor is the comparison at the end. I must stress that this is clearly a comparison, where similarities are admitted...not contrasts where they are effectively dis-associated.

It brings us closer than dying and cancer and crying.

"IT (The subject of the song)" is hanging with a pretty rough crowd.

One more :) the "vulnerability" (which I fail to see...I will try harder, for it is my weakness) that you believe the speaker to have. Does that describe God? I would much sooner equate God to a rapist than describe him as vulnerable....that negates what the Bible is built on...the infallibility of God.

Thanks not only for your response, but for your time as well.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote