Thread: Try this.
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2002, 06:00 PM   #5
On Probation

Bincount™: 0
Clarity

I don't see why you perceive the song in a negative light.(rapist theme)

I certainly do not agree with that. You say because the "speaker" is too "forceful" and "urgent."

Yes. That's the point. God's will/desire IS persistent/urgent.
However, being persistent isn't synonymous with negativity.

I am trying to think of the lines in the song that would make you feel that it's from a "rapist" perspective.

Yes, the "Speaker" in the song won't take no for an answer.... because He ultimately knows what's best for "maynard." He's also already waited 30+ years for Maynard... How long is he supposed to wait before there's a sense of urgency in his Voice? As he says in Reflection... "Crucify the ego... before it's far too late."

"Knock me down I'll just come back running." Isn't a negative line... it's just God saying he's going to be persistent.

"Take it all in." Just means that God wants him to embrace all that is good.

And you say it's written with "lust" in mind. "Lust" paired with your rapist theme... are you speaking in a physical or spiritual sense when you say that?

also, you say, in respect to how I perceive the song.... then the "Speaker is not one of patience and understanding.."

Let's assume I have a daughter for the sake of an analogy.
She wants to go outside in the middle of winter without a coat on. I tell her not to... but she INSISTS ON IGNORING MY WISHES AND ADVICE. So finally I have to say "No! You're not going outside without a damn coat on! I love you too much to see you get really sick (or die forever) for not wearing a darn coat!"
Is that somewhat "Forceful? Urgent? Demanding?" Yes.
I had to be in order for her to listen... or "get the message through to her." It's the same thing in the song-

I still suggest you give the song a listen from "my" perspective before you negate it.

The vulnerability in the voice fo the speaker in 4 degrees has so much emotion and vulnerability in it... I don't see how that equates to a rapist. Yes, some of the words I could understand how you'd draw that conclusion. But the vulnerabilty and emotion I hear in the voice of the speaker certainly does not remind me of a rapist. Like I said, the song is riddled in sexual metaphor... (your rapist idea)
but the meaning and the metaphor are total opposites, which also makes the song ironic in a sense.

Anyhow... I respect your opinion nonetheless-

xo
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote