View Single Post
Nikeda-Taylor
12-27-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalSanityOff View Post
I get the feeling a lot of people here don't even know what the Rosetta Stone is, so I'll give a brief summary. It was found in 1799, and was an announcement written on a stone slab. It featured the same message written twice on the same slab in two different languages, one in Greek, one in Egyptian Heiroglyph. The fact that Greek is still spoken make the Rosetta Stone the key to translating Egyptian Heiroglyphics, and is the cornerstone that allowed for all modern translations of Ancient Egyptian Heiroglyphics. Without the Rosetta Stone, we would have next to no information about Ancient Egypt at all.
Yeah, i remember my world history teacher telling us briefly about the Rosetta Stone in class a long time ago.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: The Rosetta Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalSanityOff View Post
I get the feeling a lot of people here don't even know what the Rosetta Stone is, so I'll give a brief summary. It was found in 1799, and was an announcement written on a stone slab. It featured the same message written twice on the same slab in two different languages, one in Greek, one in Egyptian Heiroglyph. The fact that Greek is still spoken make the Rosetta Stone the key to translating Egyptian Heiroglyphics, and is the cornerstone that allowed for all modern translations of Ancient Egyptian Heiroglyphics. Without the Rosetta Stone, we would have next to no information about Ancient Egypt at all.
Yeah, i remember my world history teacher telling us briefly about the Rosetta Stone in class a long time ago.