View Single Post
Godin
08-09-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyfunball
Ia ton of ideas and thoughts which have been conveyed within these forums...that mirror your own...
I would love to see a post where somebody else mirrored the same thought I posted above about "Vicarious".

Quote:
In any case, if you want or need Vicarious to mean something more than what is perhaps the surface explaination, rest assured you're going to find it... Unfortunately, unless Maynard himself tells you that's exactly what he was trying to say, it's doubtful anything beyond the surface explanation of any Tool song has much credence to it.
Well put. It is always my intention to only discover what is on "the surface" of a song. I do not look for "hidden meanings". I don't even believe in "hidden meanings".

It is my current stance that the "surface" of "Vicarious" alludes to more than what most people have said about it. What is on the "surface" of "Vicarious" excludes the possibility that the song ONLY is referring to tragedy in the media. There is at least one person responding to my posts, however, that is causing me to seriously reconsider my stance through his well thought out responses. He's the man.

*FYI: I will admit that when I approach a song to translate what it is saying, I sometimes begin with an induction about what I assume it MAY mean. Then I repeatedly test the induction to see if it fits, and most importantly to see if it fits in a way that the artist himself could have intended. Many artists rehash, or reversify, what other artists have expressed in their music in the past. So, if I hear a song that touches upon "thriving from tragedy" then I am reminded of other songs from other artists that treated this similiar subject. I then consider further the possibility that Maynard, for instance, is providing his original take on what the other reputable artists (like Layne Stayley, James Hettfield of Metallica) have gone over in the past.

-Godin

Do we move only 'cause we need to move, and hense should state all the rest -the justifications- as mere pretense?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #16
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Neither the brave nor bold...

Quote:
Ia ton of ideas and thoughts which have been conveyed within these forums...that mirror your own...
I would love to see a post where somebody else mirrored the same thought I posted above about "Vicarious".

Quote:
In any case, if you want or need Vicarious to mean something more than what is perhaps the surface explaination, rest assured you're going to find it... Unfortunately, unless Maynard himself tells you that's exactly what he was trying to say, it's doubtful anything beyond the surface explanation of any Tool song has much credence to it.
Well put. It is always my intention to only discover what is on "the surface" of a song. I do not look for "hidden meanings". I don't even believe in "hidden meanings".

It is my current stance that the "surface" of "Vicarious" alludes to more than what most people have said about it. What is on the "surface" of "Vicarious" excludes the possibility that the song ONLY is referring to tragedy in the media. There is at least one person responding to my posts, however, that is causing me to seriously reconsider my stance through his well thought out responses. He's the man.

*FYI: I will admit that when I approach a song to translate what it is saying, I sometimes begin with an induction about what I assume it MAY mean. Then I repeatedly test the induction to see if it fits, and most importantly to see if it fits in a way that the artist himself could have intended. Many artists rehash, or reversify, what other artists have expressed in their music in the past. So, if I hear a song that touches upon "thriving from tragedy" then I am reminded of other songs from other artists that treated this similiar subject. I then consider further the possibility that Maynard, for instance, is providing his original take on what the other reputable artists (like Layne Stayley, James Hettfield of Metallica) have gone over in the past.

-Godin

Do we move only 'cause we need to move, and hense should state all the rest -the justifications- as mere pretense?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote