View Single Post
Happyfunball's Avatar Happyfunball
08-08-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godin
Nobody had anything to say about my opening post to this thread, until after I posted a follow up.
-Godin
I think he was referring to the notion that there's already a ton of ideas and thoughts which have been conveyed within these forums. Ones in fact that mirror your own. That nobody commented on your particular post doesn't mean they have nothing to say but more likely they've already said it previously in another thread.

In any case, if you want or need Vicarious to mean something more than what is perhaps the surface explaination, rest assured you're going to find it. Everyone does. Unfortunately, unless Maynard himself tells you that's exactly what he was trying to say, it's doubtful anything beyond the surface explanation of any Tool song has much credence to it.

From my perspective, the surface explaination is plenty already. Unless people have somehow convinced themselves that the surface explaination doesn't offer them enough to work on, there's really very little need to dig further until the possibilities of the basic interpretation has been exhausted or otherwise resolved.

In other words, dig further if you must, but don't simply discard what's already been dug up. That's probably even more dissappointing to Maynard, not somebody who chooses only to recognize the obvious, but rather somebody who chooses to ignore the obvious for that which is hidden and very likely does not even exist.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11
Re: Neither the brave nor bold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godin
Nobody had anything to say about my opening post to this thread, until after I posted a follow up.
-Godin
I think he was referring to the notion that there's already a ton of ideas and thoughts which have been conveyed within these forums. Ones in fact that mirror your own. That nobody commented on your particular post doesn't mean they have nothing to say but more likely they've already said it previously in another thread.

In any case, if you want or need Vicarious to mean something more than what is perhaps the surface explaination, rest assured you're going to find it. Everyone does. Unfortunately, unless Maynard himself tells you that's exactly what he was trying to say, it's doubtful anything beyond the surface explanation of any Tool song has much credence to it.

From my perspective, the surface explaination is plenty already. Unless people have somehow convinced themselves that the surface explaination doesn't offer them enough to work on, there's really very little need to dig further until the possibilities of the basic interpretation has been exhausted or otherwise resolved.

In other words, dig further if you must, but don't simply discard what's already been dug up. That's probably even more dissappointing to Maynard, not somebody who chooses only to recognize the obvious, but rather somebody who chooses to ignore the obvious for that which is hidden and very likely does not even exist.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote