View Single Post
Godin
08-08-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11
I think the correlation you've made here (Godin) between Rosetta Stoned and Vicarious, is a valid relation. The quote from Vicarious ("IMO") means that while there are many of us who have come to many real and valid ideas and opinions, (in RStoned case, while in an altered state of mind) we do nothing but forget them. Maynard has said many times that one of the things that bothers him most is our apathetic lifestyles. While we may not seem apathetic, and have 'alot to say' we DO nothing. So whether you are the brave, or the bold, you still have done nothing but WATCH...
Ooh, I have to find that quote from Maynard. You really have reiterited my understanding of the message between "Vicarious" and "RS" well... concerning your usage of the word "apathetic". If Maynard has in the past has shown concern for people's apathetic behavior, then that would substantiate my claim that the link between these two songs creates a message that criticizes apathy, etc.

My challenge now is to prove that "Vicarious" actually IS meant to address (at least in part) people's tendency to thrive off of their own suffering. Everybody so far (and for obvious reasons) tends to unflinchingly believe the song is about how one person feeds off of the suffering of others, as witnessed in the news. I accept the challenge. :-)

-Godin

Last edited by Godin; 08-08-2006 at 07:29 AM..
Old 08-08-2006, 07:25 AM   #14
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Neither the brave nor bold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11
I think the correlation you've made here (Godin) between Rosetta Stoned and Vicarious, is a valid relation. The quote from Vicarious ("IMO") means that while there are many of us who have come to many real and valid ideas and opinions, (in RStoned case, while in an altered state of mind) we do nothing but forget them. Maynard has said many times that one of the things that bothers him most is our apathetic lifestyles. While we may not seem apathetic, and have 'alot to say' we DO nothing. So whether you are the brave, or the bold, you still have done nothing but WATCH...
Ooh, I have to find that quote from Maynard. You really have reiterited my understanding of the message between "Vicarious" and "RS" well... concerning your usage of the word "apathetic". If Maynard has in the past has shown concern for people's apathetic behavior, then that would substantiate my claim that the link between these two songs creates a message that criticizes apathy, etc.

My challenge now is to prove that "Vicarious" actually IS meant to address (at least in part) people's tendency to thrive off of their own suffering. Everybody so far (and for obvious reasons) tends to unflinchingly believe the song is about how one person feeds off of the suffering of others, as witnessed in the news. I accept the challenge. :-)

-Godin

Last edited by Godin; 08-08-2006 at 07:29 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote