View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 05:31 AM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/29 - Mansfield, MA - Tweeter Center

This was my 10th Tool show (4th time at Tweeter Center) and honestly, I had my reservations going into the show. But this was probably in the top 3 times I've seen them. I had such a good time.

Highlights:
-The stage/video screens (ALL WHITE) look so amazing.
-The first 3 tunes (Stinkfist, The Pot, Forty-Six & 2) absolutely KILLED.
-Jambi is a great live song.
-The middle part in Schism (aka crystal meth part) adds so much to that tune.
-10K Days is everything I thought it was going to be.
-Lateralus should be the closer. It's one of their most important songs, IMO.
-Aenema is still the tits live.
-Tool (especially Danny and Adam) can reproduce every little sound/nuance just like their records. I love that about them.

Lowlights:
-The overall setlist.
-Rosetta Stoned is a mood killer. The momentum of the show drops during that tune. Plus they ripped themselves off when they wrote it (see Third Eye). Drop that an add 2 other tunes. Shit, I'd rather hear Sober for the 1,236th time.
-MAYNARD'S VOICE. I have had mixed emotions about Tool over the last couple of tours. Maynard used to take chances and I loved that about him. I go back and forth with my feelings regarding his voice. He's lost so much on it and I almost feel like he's become a liability. I hate feeling that way but I can't help it. I love him but yet he's not the same. Plus, he gets sick every fucking tour. The man is obviously not taking care of himself. When I go back and listen to the old shows, he's stellar. I know with age your voice weakens and his peak to me was Lollapalooza in 1997. I listen to those shows and he just absolutely destroys. The entire tour. But it's been almost 10 years since that tour and he'll never sound as good as he did then. So I'll move on.

DANNY CAREY is a human highlight reel. He is the single most important member of that band and never ceases to amaze me. He's the sickest talent on the planet. He, along with Brann Dailor of Mastodon, is the best drummer on the planet. Bravo.

ADAM JONES. Great guitar tone. The one thing I still find amazing is that Tool has such rocking tunes and the guy continues to look like an oil painting on stage. Would it kill you to move around a bit? Your songs rock so hard. MOVE! I know you have plastic knees and shit, but tap your foot or something.

JUSTIN CHANCELLOR. Great stage prescence. GREAT bass tone. Well done.

Again, great time. Thanks Tool. You're still the tops.
1. Fitchburg, MA 2.28.97---2. Mansfield, MA 7.07.98---3. Lewiston, ME 7.08.98---4. Mansfield, MA 7.09.98---5. Portland, ME 9.20.01---6. Mansfield, MA 9.21.01---7. Hartford, CT 9.22.01--- 8. Boston, MA 8.16.02---9. Manchester, NH 8.18.02---10. Mansfield, MA 9.29.06---11. Mansfield, MA 7.12.07---12. Manchester, NH 8.02.09
OFFLINE |