View Single Post
Alex in Chains's Avatar Alex in Chains
08-25-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJameck View Post
Because "The Pot" was made to be a single, Im thinking that its meaning was intentionaly dulled down to be easily understood by the massess, not just tool junkies.

I think this whole song is about President Bush and the war in Iraq.

"Who are you to wave your finger?"
Dealing with the obvious hyporcritacal views of our beloved leader, dealing with foreign leaders and their policies.

"Eyeballs deep in muddy waters Fuckin' hypocrite"
More of tools occasional deadball honesty, this line I believe is half stating the fact and other half getting his own personal anger out on the President.

"Kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent"
Im thinking this has something to do with killing of innocent people during the course of the war. In the coalitions attempt to capture and or kill members of the insurgentcy, innocent people of been caught in the crossfire. So were killing the innocent to kill the guilty.

Let me hear what you think.

I personally would like to hear more about these alleged "obviously hyporcritacal (sic) views" that Bush has, because I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. As for innocent people dying, well, that happens in war. It's never NOT happened in war. And you should maybe research Shock and Awe a little more -- I believe National Geographic did an excellent documentary -- if you want to see the painstaking care taken to minimalize civilan casualties. The US goes to lengths that no other country ever would to avoid killing civilians. Fact.

Also, I really don't think Tool would do a song so on the nose about something so easily dated. For one thing, they've more or less stated they wouldn't. For another, I think the band (with the possible exception of Maynard, lest we forget APC's final shitfest) is of the opinion that specific current events really have no place in their music.
<ru5ty> wat
Old 08-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone

Bincount™: 2934
Re: Simple "The Pot" Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJameck View Post
Because "The Pot" was made to be a single, Im thinking that its meaning was intentionaly dulled down to be easily understood by the massess, not just tool junkies.

I think this whole song is about President Bush and the war in Iraq.

"Who are you to wave your finger?"
Dealing with the obvious hyporcritacal views of our beloved leader, dealing with foreign leaders and their policies.

"Eyeballs deep in muddy waters Fuckin' hypocrite"
More of tools occasional deadball honesty, this line I believe is half stating the fact and other half getting his own personal anger out on the President.

"Kangaroo done hung the guilty with the innocent"
Im thinking this has something to do with killing of innocent people during the course of the war. In the coalitions attempt to capture and or kill members of the insurgentcy, innocent people of been caught in the crossfire. So were killing the innocent to kill the guilty.

Let me hear what you think.

I personally would like to hear more about these alleged "obviously hyporcritacal (sic) views" that Bush has, because I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. As for innocent people dying, well, that happens in war. It's never NOT happened in war. And you should maybe research Shock and Awe a little more -- I believe National Geographic did an excellent documentary -- if you want to see the painstaking care taken to minimalize civilan casualties. The US goes to lengths that no other country ever would to avoid killing civilians. Fact.

Also, I really don't think Tool would do a song so on the nose about something so easily dated. For one thing, they've more or less stated they wouldn't. For another, I think the band (with the possible exception of Maynard, lest we forget APC's final shitfest) is of the opinion that specific current events really have no place in their music.
<ru5ty> wat
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote