View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #32
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 13
Re: 2006/10/06 - East Rutherford, NJ - Continental Airlines Arena

Long time Tool listener, first time Tool concert-goer and I wish I had not waited so long. For those that have said that you have not experienced Tool until you have witnessed them live, I now know what you mean.

First, the opening act. As someone who has not followed Isis too closely, I liked them more and more as their performance went on. Justin joined them for the final song. Unfortunately, not too many people were in the building to see them.

By the time Tool took the stage, it was a packed venue. Maynard started by saying something like "Jersey, how ya doin'?" with the mobster accent.

Then, right into Stinkfist, which sent the crowd into a frenzy with its flashing visual display and an audio assault lead by Adam's crisp sounding guitar. The extended middle part threw some sing-alongers off, which was amusing.

Next, The Pot, and needless to say, a familiar smell permeated the venue. Also high, was Maynard's voice.

Then a Tool Standard, 46 & 2, and Danny's drumming at the bridge was spectacular.

Jambi sounded much better in concert and Justin's bass playing was impressive.

The sped up middle part for Schism added a nice contrast.

The epics Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned and Wings/10k Days were greeted favorably by the die-hards, but caused some more casual viewers to sit down.

The members sat down during the break, to cheering and lighters.

Lateralus, took things up a notch, especially visually. All audience members that had previously mellowed out, were back into it.

Vicarious, sounded much better live with its seamless instrumental transitions and Maynard's voice appearing stronger.

Finally, Aenima, a Tool Classic to complete the Tool concert experience.

The members saluted the cheering crowd and exited the stage. I exited the venue with ringing ears and an experience I'll never forget.

I was very satisfied with my location. I was in section 106-row 23 (4 rows from the back) and had an unobstructed, diagonal view of the stage (on Adam's side). I was high enough up to see the stage projections and the sound came in LOUD and clear (emphasizing loud).

The crowd was a mix of different ages with the prevailing group being 16-24 year old, nerdy males (like myself, but I'm really 26). I saw one boy that must have been in kindergarten, a few father-son duos, and some attractive looking females as well. Amongst the amusing individuals moving about was a guy dancing up and down the aisle during the entire show.

To anyone who is considering attending a Tool concert in the future, I highly recommend it. There may not be many more opportunities left. The best concert I've ever been to, and my friend who is more of a casual fan said the same thing. I'll be seeing them again the next time they are in the area.

There is alot more that can be said, but I will leave that to others for now.

Last edited by dice5199; 10-07-2006 at 10:32 AM..
OFFLINE |