View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 05:59 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/10/06 - East Rutherford, NJ - Continental Airlines Arena

Well this was my third Tool show so I can compare it to the others. Let me just get the comparisons out of the way first; there weren't any. This hands down beat every other tour I've seen them on, yes, Lateralus included which is a small miracle indeed since that was previously the best show I've ever been to. I didn't mind that the set list was the same as recent cities have gotten. Who gives a shit? I also didn't mind that the set list wasn't particularly long; in the world of Tool, by now, you have to be accustomed to accepting quality over quantity. Bad mouthing this amazing show for having a small set list would be like saying Dark Side of the Moon sucks because it's only nine songs long.

Anyway, anyway... row 128, looking right down at the stage, having a full view of the light show as well as the band. I was more than happy with my seats because I could tell that other sections couldn't see the light show in its full splendor. Normally I glance around saying "I wish I was sitting over there..." but not tonight, at all.

Continental was packed solid. I don't think I saw an empty available seat in the house. And let me compliment the caliber of women at the show. There were some models there last night. Jesus. (my girlfriend included... precautionary measure)

The best thing about the show to me was the sound. Even Isis sounded great, and I'm not particularly a fan of theirs. Sitting in row 128, it sounded as though we were seated up front. I can't understand the criticisms regarding the sound at all. If there was an audio fuck-up, I didn't spot it and I was mostly sitting down, just taking everything in.

Maynard did say "Clevland" and saw what happens when you challenge Jersey/New York to a "who's crazier" contest. Maynard was way more animated than he was at the other shows I've attended and I thought that the during the break, when the band sat down to just soak in the energy of the audience, was really cool. Maynard's still a funny motherfucker.

As for the performance... the band did not miss a step in any section of the performance. The voice box solo in "Jambi" sounded identicle to the CD and the crowd cheered Adam like crazy. "Wings/10K Days" was brilliant, and that's when the lights really peaked. Most people in my row sat down for it so I was able to just take it in.

For my money however, "Rosetta Stoned" stole the show. Yes, the intro was severely garbled. Couldn't hear a word Maynard said, but all of a sudden, out of nowhere, you heard "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!" loud and clear which made up for it. Anyway, those who say the song doesn't hold up in concert do not know what they're talking about. The "overwhelmed as one would be..." section of the song held up amazingly well in concert. The girls in front of me who were dancing to every song were a little confused about what to do during Rosetta. They were dancing to some spots then abruptly stopping. Funny stuff.

Danny's drum solo at the end of "Lateralus" vibrated the whole fucking arena. I kept thinking someone was knocking into my chair because of how much it shook. "Aenema" is the perfect closer, too. The crowd was nuts for the chorus.

All in all, an amazing show, an amazing night and I look forward to seeing the boys again. Best Tool show I've been to and maybe the best concert I've ever been to, period. 9.5/10
OFFLINE |