View Single Post
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
05-07-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etamina View Post
Ie're talking about a band that writes albums, not necessarily songs. And the whole thing is inspired and particular. To call any part of them meaningless casts a shadow of doubt over the whole album. We draw messages from the instrumental aspects because we understand the intentions behind them.
Yeah but there's also a big difference between saying they're meaningless or saying that there's some super secret underlying message that you must envision with your thrid eye while playing the lateralus vinyl backwords at 23rpm in while the temperature drops 4 degrees.

...all I'm saying is that some are to be taken at face value while others may have some multi-layered meanings but when you try to make the music into the Holy Grail you've gone too far. Trust me, I do appreciate Tool and their music to the highest degree. I think Lateralus was a masterpiece the way they integrated the fibonacci sequence into it and how they imbed Freemason-esque hidden easter eggs in their music, art and lyrics. But that's all it is, they each have their own personal curiousities and interests that they throw into the mix. With the occult references, aliens, religion, the third eye, etc. It doesn't make them gods by all means, they're just clever fuckers that leave us fans interested to know more and read into what they're displaying because they do make it somewhat subliminal and not just in black and white. It's simple as that, appreciate it for what it is and put away your Crackerjack box decoder ring.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #93
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135
Re: What the hidden message is really saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etamina View Post
Ie're talking about a band that writes albums, not necessarily songs. And the whole thing is inspired and particular. To call any part of them meaningless casts a shadow of doubt over the whole album. We draw messages from the instrumental aspects because we understand the intentions behind them.
Yeah but there's also a big difference between saying they're meaningless or saying that there's some super secret underlying message that you must envision with your thrid eye while playing the lateralus vinyl backwords at 23rpm in while the temperature drops 4 degrees.

...all I'm saying is that some are to be taken at face value while others may have some multi-layered meanings but when you try to make the music into the Holy Grail you've gone too far. Trust me, I do appreciate Tool and their music to the highest degree. I think Lateralus was a masterpiece the way they integrated the fibonacci sequence into it and how they imbed Freemason-esque hidden easter eggs in their music, art and lyrics. But that's all it is, they each have their own personal curiousities and interests that they throw into the mix. With the occult references, aliens, religion, the third eye, etc. It doesn't make them gods by all means, they're just clever fuckers that leave us fans interested to know more and read into what they're displaying because they do make it somewhat subliminal and not just in black and white. It's simple as that, appreciate it for what it is and put away your Crackerjack box decoder ring.